Car Tool Kit?

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions as to what to put in a car tool kit. I have a brand new 2006 F-150 pickup, so I'm not expecting to do major repairs on the side of the road, just enough to get me out of a jam. I'm an EMT so I will soon have a fully stocked BLS Medical Kit, so I wont have a need for an additional first aid kit. I'm kinda against the goo stuff for the tires as Ive had my mechanic tell me never to use that. So, any suggestions you could add would be appreciated

*Lights (given around this place :naughty: )*
*Flares or signal triangles*
*Heavy Guage Jumper Cables*
*24" breaker bar with correct socket for lug nuts and jack*
*Vise Grips, Needle Nose Pliers, Adjustable wrench, Wire Cutters*
*Screwdriver Set or Multiple bit driver*
*Cheap and sharp Knife*
*Duct and Electrical Tape*
*Short length of electircal Wire*
*Zip Ties*
*Bungey Cord, Bailing Wire*
*Small Metric Rachet Set*
*hammer*
*Rag*
*Work Gloves*
*multimeter*

Possibly an air compressor.

Any Thing else you guys think I should carry? The kit.. I hope to keep kinda small to fit behind the seat.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

nazgul

Newly Enlightened
latex gloves
hand cleaner
cardboard or beach mat to lie down on if you have to get under the car.
heavy duty garbage bag-contractor grade
extra fuses

heathah

Newly Enlightened
What about an extra car jack? Maybe a small bottle jack?

Sometimes, I just don't trust the original jacks vehicles come with.

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
For lights, im hopin you have a headlamp or atleast a baseball cap with a light that has a clip (like surefires). makes it easier to change a tire in the dark, unless you have a lantern light.

I'd also throw in some tow straps or chains, maybe a poncho (although the garbage bags suggested by nazgul could be used)

kf4zht

Newly Enlightened
I would also keep a spare serpentine belt, some fluids, a high-lift type jack or a least a come-along, u-joints if you have 4wd, valve core remover and cores, tire plug kit (just in a worse case)

Im an offroader, so i think its great to have an air source (compressor or co2) and air tools, along with basic welding supplies (#10 shade and a few rods)

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a mechanic a long time ago so I've always carried a set of tools in my car. I also carry a good set of jumper cables and a 12V air pump.

The jumper cables and air pump are used quite a bit, more so for other peoples' problems that I run across than for my own car.

I use the tools occasionally, such as one time when we were 100 miles from home and my batter suddenly went bad. In a small town I found a place to buy a battery and installed it myself. In a relatively new vehicle there shouldn't be much need for tools though.

Towels and rags are useful, maybe gloves and hand cleaner.

And of course I have several good lights in the car.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tossed my stock jack and replaced it with a decent quality hydraulic floor jack - I removed the wheels and bolted the jack to an aluminum skid. With that kinda surface area you can jack up your truck in quicksand. ;-)

I would suggest putting a torque wrench in along with your wheel nut breaker bar. You will never go wrong keeping your wheel nuts torqued to spec. Also you can check their torque after a long haul down steep hills when the brakes have heated everything up. Once things cool the wheel nuts can go slack.

kf4zht has some good ideas... if your F150 has the 4.6L engine the serpentine belt is very easy to replace. All you'll need for tools is a 1/2" drive breaker to pre-load the belt tensioner. Personally for air I bought a 5 lb. CO2 can from eBay, put a high-flow regulator on it with a long air hose and get it filled for $1 per lb. at Airgas.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
Thanks for the good ideas!

I picked up a cheapy tool set from target today and have transferred the contents into a nylon bag which is much smaller to fit behind the seat.

I really like that idea with the alumium under the hyrdralic jack. I bought the regular cab, so I think im going to have to wait untill I get a tool box for the back, but that is a great idea.

The truck has the 4.2 V6 in it. I just couldnt justify spending all the extra money for a V8 and super cab. I'm still going to school and working two jobs, I can afford the regular cab payments every month. This is my first BRAND NEW vehicle I've bought.

Im hoping nothing goes wrong with the truck *crosses fingers*.. it has just under 500 miles on it right now. I've only opened the hood twice to show to friends. Just bought some soap and stuff to give her the first wash. Ford says they include 3 years of complementary road side service with the new vehicle. So If anything major goes wrong.. *F-It* they can tow it back to themselfs.

How much did that CO2 tank cost you? was it new? I have heard horror stories about people not being able to get their tanks filled up. Of course.. benefits.. ability to run air tools, use it away from the vehicle. Downsizes.. you have a potential rocket in your vehicle.

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
1. Dump the jumper cables and go with a rechargeable battery booster instead. With jumper cables and no one around, you're walking. With a booster, you don't have to get close to someone's else's car to jump them.

2. Along with the flares/triangles, get a reflective vest for yourself. Folds into something small enough to fit into a shirt pocket and makes YOU visible. Think about a traffic wand for your lights also.

3. They make collapsible containers - one for 5 gals of water used to compress down pretty small and flat enough to go under a seat.

4. Tire pressure gauge - use it religiously - like weekly. Don't rely on the service station's - they are notoriously bad. Don't worry about checking your tires hot - they usually only go up about 2 psi.

5. Paper towels, detailing spray (for bugs or bird splatters, the sooner you take care of them, the less likely they'll eat your paint.)

6. Disposable camera. God forbid you'll need it but a picture is much better than the other guy's word when it comes down to insurance squabbles.

7. Paper/pencils - you won't have them when you need them. Trust me on that. Pencils - not pens. They don't dry out and you can sharpen them on the side of a rock if you need to.

8. Spare bulbs - may ward off a ticket if you can replace it one the spot when pulled over.

9. Photocopies of your license/registration/insurance. Makes cops and other parties happier if they don't have to write it down.

Good luck with your ride!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on the spare bulbs -- especially on trips to other states (yes, there are still LEO's who love to stop out of staters).

I use moderately good quality tools in the vehicles. Breaking down or fixing someone else's problem is frustrating enough. Busting the tip off of a screwdriver or having a cheap socket start round off a bolt does not make your day any better. It's a tiny bit more money that's very well spent.

Another thought, put the important paperwork in a plastic bag. It's easier to find and easier to keep clean and dry. Plus, most LEO's just love to see people handing them ziplock bags! Hmmmm, maybe not...

Yet one more thought -- keep a roll of TP pressed flat and in a ziplock. Hey, you never know. Beats using socks, leaves, etc. ("EEEeewwwwwww!" or "OUCH!")

BTW, most everyone drops a flare or a triangle waaaayyy too close to the car. Get 'em out as far as you can 'cause you might need all the time you can get to wake up some of the bozos on the road.

And never, never, never turn your back on traffic. You'll live longer.

kf4zht

Newly Enlightened
Forgot one, a 6-10 ft lenght of grade 80 (iirc) chain, with hooks on each end. You would be amazed at what can be done with it, i have seen axles held in place and other decent fixes for emergencies

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
As some others have mentioned
-Spare bulbs
-Spare Fuses (at least two of each type)
-Booster pack (forget the jumper cables, direct jumping another vehicle can royally screw your computer!)
-Large, flourescent orange or white plastic tablecloth and a large black sharpie marker. It can be used as a rain shelter, to crouch down on if the ground is wet, or you can write an emergency message on it like "BRIDGE OUT AHEAD" (I actually had to do that once).
-$40-50 tucked away somewhere safe. Even if it's not enough to pay a tow bill or something it's still an excellent "good faith" deposit for most people.
-Dental floss. Sounds silly but you'd be amazed how many times you just want a little string to tie something out of the way or whatever.
-Notepad and pencils (as someone else noted, a mechanical pencil is much more reliable and won't freeze or dry out)
-The disposable camera is also a great idea that , hopefully, you'll never need.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I"m going to be one of those people that posts without reading through the entirety of the thread ;) So excuse me if this has been discussed, but make sure that the good wrenches that you buy are appropriate to your car. I just got my first car with metric bolts in it! So I had to buy 2 new sets, to carry around in the kit and to keep at home. Wont do you any good in a metric car if you throw in your good set of English wrenches!

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
zespectre said:
-$40-50 tucked away somewhere safe. Even if it's not enough to pay a tow bill or something it's still an excellent "good faith" deposit for most people.

I actually put a couple of $50 Amex Traveler Cheques in my car. Safer than cash. The tow truck people here sometimes insist on money up front as do the lockout people.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few more tips from someone who has owned trucks and 4WDs continuously for the past 30+ years:

1) don't go overboard keeping lots of high quality tools in your truck. If they are stolen, your loss will be more expensive. Keep your highest quality tools locked up at home and a basic set of "second tier" tools in the truck.

2) remove tools from your truck temporarily before bringing your truck in for scheduled service to avoid their loss or theft (sad voice of experience).

Wishing you miles of smiles.

kf4zht

Newly Enlightened
HVAC said:
Maybe a small can of penetrating oil for rusty hardware.
HVAC

That reminds me of another - grease gun (pick up a walmart cheapie) for when you get that one dry joint that is squeeking and driving you crazy.

wylde21

Newly Enlightened
Blackbeagle said:
I actually put a couple of $50 Amex Traveler Cheques in my car. Safer than cash. The tow truck people here sometimes insist on money up front as do the lockout people.

How do you give the lockout people the money up front when it's locked in your car?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent ideas!

I also keep a very small bag with a full change of clothes (Jeans, T-shirt, socks and undies)--including an old but clean pair of sneakers.
I have a couple of dryer sheets in there to keep them smellin' fresh.
I need to get a very basic overnight kit together.

I keep a very inexpensive cotton hooded sweatjacket (Hanes, I think) and a nice inexpensive waterproof shell ($8 from Target, which has a hood and zippered pockets) in the back seat.
These have come in handy several times with an unexpected temp drop or rain.

Bob