Cars, Man

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Supposedly a 'drivers' car, only comes in automatic
The 3-pedal arrangement has been on death watch for multiple decades now. Suspect it will eventually settle into the niche of base-model economy vehicles and lower-/mid-tier enthusiast vehicles.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3-pedal arrangement has been on death watch for multiple decades now. Suspect it will eventually settle into the niche of base-model economy vehicles and lower-/mid-tier enthusiast vehicles.
+

You can select 6-speed manual if you won the lottery & purchased a 911GT3

... yet another Nordschleife vid from July (there's the smallest amount of understeer)

I've started dreaming of a two-seat, convertible. It'll need to be second-hand for affordability. I haven't decided on the transmission type. While I'm comfortable operating a manual, I'm also aware that Father Time diminishes driving skills for us Baby Boomers. Yes, I've entered the Roadhouse Blues period of driving. It's best to keep my eyes on the road and both hands upon the wheel. Price? I don't know. I've just started dreaming. Haven't started shopping.

Suggestions?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've started dreaming of a two-seat, convertible. It'll need to be second-hand for affordability. I haven't decided on the transmission type. While I'm comfortable operating a manual, I'm also aware that Father Time diminishes driving skills for us Baby Boomers. Yes, I've entered the Roadhouse Blues period of driving. It's best to keep my eyes on the road and both hands upon the wheel. Price? I don't know. I've just started dreaming. Haven't started shopping.

Suggestions?
+

Fly there to buy it & make an adventure driving it home.

Did that with a used 6-speed Acura Legend I bought in Florida >>> drove it home to Colorado

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Suggestions?
If you can fit inside of one comfortably, Late-model Mazda MX-5 (Miata).

Orbital beat me to it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Last time I test-drove one I could not fit safely into it, but I've got longer legs than average. Precise year evades me, perhaps ~2000 vintage.
The later models are better in that regard. Like orbital mentioned, around 2019. But will admit that I'm also too tall to properly fit behind the wheel of one.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

BMW Z4 near Chance

M Sport package & Automatic ^^

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened

Suggestions?
Yeah, the Z3 is getting pretty collectable now, especially the S54 I6 manual in hard top. My dad's dream car. The Z4 is a very nice set of wheels too.

How high are you dreaming? Because the Lexus LC500 beats far more expensive (read:lottery level) vehicles like the Aston Martin DB9 and Porsche 911, and at a fraction of the price and a factor of 100 in reliability…

At a more realistic level, for my dreams anyhow, you have cars like the Nissan 370Z, or indeed, anything Nissan with "Z" in its name! On a factory stock cost/performace ratio, they are pretty much the best bang for buck on the market.

Then there's the Mercedes-Benz SLK500, look for models with the "Kompressor" badge, meaning supercharged. There are some very affordable versions of these out there and they aren't a bad sports car if they have been looked after, with a touch of luxury if you buy carefully.

While I haven't driven the Miata, I've heard it's a fantastic little car that is a joy to drive.

My personal dream car is the Toyota GT-86, or Subaru BRZ, depending on which badge you are partial to. An excellent balance of fun, cost and reliability.

(But don't get the new Supra unless you like more bump-steer than you know what to do with!)

Attachments

• IMG_5240.jpeg
    IMG_5240.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5245.jpeg
    IMG_5245.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5246.jpeg
    IMG_5246.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5244.jpeg
    IMG_5244.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5243.jpeg
    IMG_5243.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5242.jpeg
    IMG_5242.jpeg
    742.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5241.jpeg
    IMG_5241.jpeg
    435.1 KB · Views: 41

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Turns out it's more than just the badge with the GT-86 vs. BRZ.

Found out from a fellow enthusiast that the GT-86 is tuned to be quite a bit more tail-happy than the BRZ. So, it's more about your preferred driving style around a track than simply which badge you prefer.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shopping yesterday saw this '65 Polara CHP sitting in stores parking lot. The old guy hauling it, a retired officer, with a couple active duty friends, on their way back to CHP museum in Sacramento where the car is home.
Dodge V8, in this car, 455ci 370hp, a wicked motor for 1965
IMG_20230930_145559404_HDR.jpg

Early winter storm didn't stop these guys from attending a local car show & shine 🇺🇲
IMG_20230930_145812756.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Very cool!
Nowadays.... Forget V8. Car-makers are content to offer Turbo-charged 4-cylingers. Heck, make that 3 with some models. :(

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Turns out it's more than just the badge with the GT-86 vs. BRZ.

Found out from a fellow enthusiast that the GT-86 is tuned to be quite a bit more tail-happy than the BRZ. So, it's more about your preferred driving style around a track than simply which badge you prefer.
Yes, that's definitely true. And it goes deeper than that too, but given modern traction control, and driving requirements etc. maybe too many variables for Chauncey's care? @Chauncey Gardiner , are you planning on driving this thing on a track? (Or like on a track, but on the road... :banned2:) If you're not sure how to answer; ask yourself "am I prepared to replace my tyres every 4th time I take this thing out, and rebuild my engine every season? If the answer is no, then the differences between the 86 and the BRZ will be almost entirely down to taste.
The 86 / BRZ is a great frame, and tunes beautifully for many purposes, so if racing / modding is your thing this can be a decent frame to start with.

If I read it right - car geekery aside - realistically the brief would land up on something like Orbital's suggestion above. Not too crazy in price, lots of fun, fast but not stupid, fairly stock, and automatic transmission. Somewhere between Orbital's Porsche Boxster and say, a Nissan 370Z soft-top auto like this: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d8c0820a-b766-45d0-a5be-f60ea5f1cde7/

Yes, that's definitely true. And it goes deeper than that too, but given modern traction control, and driving requirements etc. maybe too many variables for Chauncey's care?
Yes, way too many variables. My dream consists of driving the car not wrenching on it.
I spent almost half my life maintaining a small fleet of delivery vehicles. The thrill of that aspect is gone.

@Chauncey Gardiner , are you planning on driving this thing on a track?
Nope! As enjoyable as that would be, it's not part of the dream. If time and finances become available, I'd love to attend a performance driving class. Trial and error is an expensive process.

(Or like on a track, but on the road... :banned2:)
Again, nope. When we purchased our current fun car our insurance agent was surprised by how low our premiums were going to be. He did state, however, that if there was to be a moving violation it would result in a substantial increase in the premiums. That word - substantial - has remained a steady reminder these past 7.5 years.
IMG_2136.JPG

Additionally, the new two-seater is to be an enjoyable experience for both myself and The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner, .... who doesn't like G-Forces. Our family was rear-ended some years back and the Mrs. is still very much gunshy. She was injured and ultimately had to have hip replacement surgery.

If I read it right - car geekery aside - realistically the brief would land up on something like Orbital's suggestion above. Not too crazy in price, lots of fun, fast but not stupid, fairly stock, and automatic transmission. Somewhere between Orbital's Porsche Boxster and say, a Nissan 370Z soft-top auto like this: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d8c0820a-b766-45d0-a5be-f60ea5f1cde7/
As originally stated, I'm only in the dream stage but hope to transition to a wide-awake reality within the next 12 months. Being our last auto purchase was in 2016, I'm wowed by the prices of previously owned automobiles. 😯 And, while I've never seen myself as a Porsche Guy, Orbital's Boxster is well worth dreaming about.

Price: 20k to Orbital's Boxter.
Lots of fun!
Fast, but it'll never be driven even close to its limit. Think Sunday Drives, only during the week when more people are at work.
Stock due to not wanting to wrench on it.
Preowned, due to price.
Low mileage, due to wanting dependability and few, if any, repairs.
Newer is nice, but seasoned brings the cost of license tabs way down. Washington State loves taxpayers' money. We're subject to a Regional Transit Authority tax that is crazy expensive for autos newer than six years - https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicles-and...other-fees/regional-transit-authority-rta-tax
Automatic transmission, they're just so good nowadays.

I really appreciate the replies. You guys are the best! :lovecpf:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I spent almost half my life maintaining a small fleet of delivery vehicles. The thrill of that aspect is gone.
A friend used to work for a shop as a service writer and switch-hit as a mechanic. His thinking on automotive maintenance boils down to something like:
Unless you want to save money, have an emotional attachment to the vehicle, or it's something interesting/exotic doing automotive maintenance is like working on a big dirty blender.