Cars, Man

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
For that much, it better include a super-model who can cook, clean, do laundry, and not talk back except to tell me how incredible I am.

+

...and she be really low maintenance :whoopin:..:naughty:

check out that blower ^

this Italian beauty was immaculate ^

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lamborghini Ankonian concept. It looks like it could be a prop from The Dark Knight Rises.

lamank.jpg

lambo01.jpg

lambo03.jpg

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Nice! I love my 2009 Mazda6 V6 model.

Overall, I like the redesign. But it troubles me that there's more than a bit of Hyundai styling about it.

Anyone else noticed that Hyundai drivers have become more obnoxious than BMW drivers?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have not figured out how to post pics here, but as far as Ferraris are concerned, the best looking newer model Ferrari is the 458 Italia. Its just got to be one of, if not the best looking Ferrari ever! Kicks butt on the street or track too.

^Its not quite up to the performance level of my next favorite, the Koenigsegg CCX or the now out of production Pagani Zonda F Roadster.

That Lexus LFA is priced at like $400,000-$500,000, and Lexus will STILL lose money on them supposedly! Top Gear pointed out that it is way overpriced, even though they will lose money on it. You can get a much better super car for less, like a Lamborghini Gallardo Spider.

But those cars are out of my price range anyway, however, I'd like to buy an awesome Cadillac CTS-V in the wagon form. 560 horsepower, huge Brembo brakes, magnetic ride control suspension, Tremec 6 speed transmission. Thats right, a manual trans in a Cadillac! This car set the all time record on the Nurburgring for sport saloon/sedans there, only beaten by 2 seconds over that 13 mile course by the much more expensive Porsche Panamera(which has a horrible looking back-end!). I'd bet that a Cadillac driver could take back that record though, as its only 2 seconds! So the CTS-V is faster and better handling than ANY other sport saloon car, and basically tied with the Panamera. Its faster than the AMG Mercedes, the BMW M5, the Maserati Quatroporte, the Aston Martin DBS, etc...... Thats saying something, and its much less money, and probably has a much better engine too! The Chevy/GM LS series V-8's have been tested at up to 1,200 hp without blowing up, on a bone stock bottom end/block, and that was the smallest version, the 4.8L! The CTS-V has the much larger version.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Pebble Beach: McLaren Special Operations X1, built on the MP4-12C platform. 1 of 1, was displayed for only one day and then delivered to customer:

ivjy8sPVvIlqx.jpg

iBngwgKPthnPp.jpg

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
...same performance...

CTS-V: 556hp
S6: 420hp

Not really comparable.

A lot closer to "the same performance" as the CTS-V would be an AWD Charger R/T ($33k-$39k) with an Edelbrock E-Force supercharger kit (call it $9k after professional installation). Same size, more powerful, at least $23k in your pocket. But you don't get that German badge.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Not really comparable.

Surprise:

Audi S6; 0-60: 3.7 sec, 1/4 mi: 12.1 sec
Cadillac CTS-V sedan; 0-60: 4.1 sec, 1/4 mi: 12.3 sec

The Caddy's numbers above assume a perfect launch; if you don't feather the clutch and throttle just right, the Audi's all-wheel-drive and launch control combo will pull away that much farther from the start.

kwak

Enlightened
CTS-V: 556hp
S6: 420hp

Not really comparable.

A lot closer to "the same performance" as the CTS-V would be an AWD Charger R/T ($33k-$39k) with an Edelbrock E-Force supercharger kit (call it $9k after professional installation). Same size, more powerful, at least $23k in your pocket. But you don't get that German badge.

BHP alone is a poor comparison of cars performance.
Torque, weight, gearing, type of gearbox, grip, CoG etc etc all play a massive part in a cars performance.

Plus certain manufacturers are known for having wildly exaggerated performance and BHP figures, other car companies really do err on the side of caution for their figures.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprise:

Audi S6; 0-60: 3.7 sec, 1/4 mi: 12.1 sec
Cadillac CTS-V sedan; 0-60: 4.1 sec, 1/4 mi: 12.3 sec

The Caddy's numbers above assume a perfect launch; if you don't feather the clutch and throttle just right, the Audi's all-wheel-drive and launch control combo will pull away that much farther from the start.

Surprise:

CTS-V Nordschleife time: 7:59.32
Audi S6 Nordschleife time: ???

That 7:59 made the Cadillac the fastest production sedan around that track (faster than any other sedan, including the Audi) until it was dethroned by the Porsche Panamera Turbo S, which is still not the Audi S6.

Barring significant mitigating factors, an AWD vehicle will have an advantage over a RWD one in a drag race. That isn't really debatable. But the dragstrip is not a perfectly accurate test of performance.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
CTS-V Nordschleife time: 7:59.32
Audi S6 Nordschleife time: ???

It'll probably be close, but it's not an entirely fair comparison since the Audi is a full four years newer than the Caddy. The aforementioned M5 and new Benz E AMG will probably be able to surpass the American's track time by a sounder margin.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
BHP alone is a poor comparison of cars performance.
Torque, weight, gearing, type of gearbox, grip, CoG etc etc all play a massive part in a cars performance.

Plus certain manufacturers are known for having wildly exaggerated performance and BHP figures, other car companies really do err on the side of caution for their figures.

As I mentioned above, for a time the CTS-V was the fastest production sedan around the Nurburgring's Nordschleife. So it's got some pretty legitimate performance credibility. The Cadillac has all the factors you mentioned in spades. And I don't want it to be construed that I'm indicating that the S6 isn't a well-performing car.

Best I could find regarding actual/claimed power outputs was this chassis dyno test for the Cadillac and this A7 3.0 chassis dyno test. The A6/A7 and S6/S7 share engines and drivetrains, and I couldn't find any dyno results for either S car. The test shows the A7 transferring 275hp against Audi's flywheel claim of 310. The Cadillac put a peak of 492hp down through the wheels. Audi claims the turbocharged 4.0L V8 in the S6 makes 420hp. Applying the ratio of whp/bhp from the 3.0 to the S6's claimed power gives 393whp for the S6. This is not an exact calculation, but it does at least put us in the ballpark.

Chassis dyno testing has a (well-deserved) reputation for poor repeatability, but it wouldn't take a large sample size to generate a statistically significant result denying the hypothesis assumption of equality of power generated in hp between the two cars.

Some engines and drivetrains are over- or underrated, but for these two cars the inaccuracy of rating doesn't change what are extremely likely to be the facts (that the Cadillac generates more power than the Audi).

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'll probably be close, but it's not an entirely fair comparison since the Audi is a full four years newer than the Caddy. The aforementioned M5 and new Benz E AMG will probably be able to surpass the American's track time by a sounder margin.

Probably. Four years is a relative eternity when it comes to auto performance. But, at the risk of starting another debate, both of those cars will probably turn out to perform believably better than the CTS-V, but they each will cost twice as much as it. And neither will be available as a coupe or wagon or with a manual transmission, for the (dozen or so? Ha!) people who would want any of those options.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Pony car news from Pebble Beach: Ford and Shelby built a one-off tribute to Carroll Shelby called the GT500 Cobra, built on the GT500 platform, featuring 850 hp and a widebody kit, but that's not the news:

2013fordshelbygt500trib.jpg

The news is, the 2013 Shelby Super Snake model, available to all, will now feature 850 hp. It's the same car without the widebody kit:

2013shelbygt500supersna.jpg