CAUTION !! Misleading budget battery and lumen claims

wus

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a replacement for a 6 cell Sub-C NiMH pack in a handheld vacuum cleaner. The original is stamped with 7.2 Volt 1300mAh (the whole was really cheap). Now I see such packs offered with up to 7 Ah - this seems pretty unbelievable to me.

How much can I currently expect - realistically! - from a good 6 cell Sub-C assembly?

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a replacement for a 6 cell Sub-C NiMH pack in a handheld vacuum cleaner. The original is stamped with 7.2 Volt 1300mAh (the whole was really cheap). Now I see such packs offered with up to 7 Ah - this seems pretty unbelievable to me.

How much can I currently expect - realistically! - from a good 6 cell Sub-C assembly?
Looking at the place I often buy cells from, their Sub-C packs range from a quoted 2200mAh to 5000mAh, and checking out a few other honest-looking vendors, it seems 4500-5000mAh is around the top end of honest capacities, so I'd guess that anything significantly over 5Ah may be being 'optimistically' rated.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
NCR18650B is made in Japan
PVC sleeve made in China
PCB ?? - Made in Germany?
Top button?

All those cells are assembled in China, and nothing wrong with it.
Are we strictly talking lithium-ion cells?

Anyway, the laser pointer of my Bugasalt 2.0 didn't work anymore, so i opened up the battery compartment and was surprised to see some Panasonic AAA inside ;) . The batteries had leaked. I am substituting NiMH AAA, cr*ppy chinese ones, let's see if they still work.

panasonictpk7b.jpg

Last edited:

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
Just read this thread and thought I`d see what EBay has to offer today. Several sellers offering yellow label 9800mAh 18650 Ultrafires and many other "brands" also offering many fantasy mAhs in a variety of battery sizes; for example: 2500mAh in a 16340. The list just goes on! What a mess! Caveat emptor!!!

Last edited:

Sjvalleydave

Newly Enlightened
Just read this thread and thought I`d see what EBay has to offer today. Several sellers offering yellow label 9800mAh 18650 Ultrafires and many other "brands" also offering many fantasy mAhs in a variety of battery sizes; for example: 2500mAh in a 16340. The list just goes on! What a mess! Caveat emptor!!!
It is an absolute cluster out there!. They just make up numbers, it unbelievable. I have a small business doing power tools battery packs. 80% are Li ion, but I still get some NiCD and NiMH. I have a brand, Tenergy, that I use for those type battery. A guy this week dropped off a couple of old Craftsman 19.2v NiCD. Original batteries were 1900mAh. I picked up 15 sub C cells with tabs for approx $27. They are a good cell. A side benefit is that the factory cells were 1900mAh, the new ones are 2200mAh. I only use name brand 18650's from trusted sellers..

zerodish

Newly Enlightened
I think the main problem with lumens is a translation error. The old style 12 volt spotlights on police cars were 100 watts and 300000 candle power. Candlepower is not used much any more. I came across a 26650 Chinese made light that advertized 40000 lumens. 40000 candlepower is quite reasonable in such a light. There are web sites that specialize in making fun of translation errors.