Cerakote Check In! All brands with coating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Sorry Jeff, but I bought one of the very fiirst Malkoff MD2's in orange cerakote. The finish began rubbing off on the tailcap within a couple of weeks of carrying it in my pocket.

I think I am the customer you mentioned above who had the "audacity" to lightly scrub the coating with a completely worn out kitchen sponge with the scrubby scotchbrite type side and found that the coating came off like paint. I had the "audacity" to do this test myself after looking at this page showing how cerakote can withstand being rubbed 8000 times with an abrasive disk. http://www.nicindustries.com/firearm_coatings.php I truly didn't believe that a couple scrubs with a worn out kitchen sponge would be more destructive than the ASTM abrasion resistance test.

nic_wear_cycles_proof.jpg

I sent it back to Malkoff and was told that it was "normal" wear and tear despite the fact that the same soft pad did not remove the anodizing from my cheapest chinese flashlight.

I guess I had much higher expectations when I read about how strong this coating is and wish I hadn't wasted my money on this expensive space age ceramic coating that seems to me to be little more than expensive paint. Perhaps it works great for other applications or perhaps the coating job on my flashlight was not done correctly, but I'm still disappointed.

In all fairness to the fine makers of cerakote, I strongly suspect that my experience has to do with a poor job of applying the coating, but I'm told to believe that my experience is normal from the response I received from the manufacturer of my light after sending it back for evaluation.

Last edited:

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I myself AM happy with my Cerakoted lights. I cant mention the shop that did them as every time I have, Ive been censored by the mods for "shilling" but thats another thread... sigh...

Anyway, I posted a thread in which I tried to foster a POSITIVE atmosphere for people that are actually happy with their coated lights. Even before the crash, there were only two other posters that responded happily with their pics. That thread has been up for over a month and the silence is REALLY deafening.

I guess this thread is proof that there are more people unhappy with Cerakote than people happy with it. :shrug:

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
G'day all :wave:

I'm another that has been happy with the performance of my Cerkoted lights. My Fanta Clicky has been part of my EDC rotation for about 6 months now. I EDC it about 4 days a week on average. I don't baby this light but I don't abuse it either. Most of the time I carry it in its own pocket but there have been times when it has had to share the pocket with coins, keys, tools, phone, etc. It's only protection is the F04 diffuser it wears. The protection the F04 diffuser offers is an added benefit and it was not the primary reason why I decided to carry it with the Fanta. The primary reasons are to provide a floody beam when I need it, to help the Clicky tailstand, and as an anti-roll device. I've accidentally dropped the Fanta from a height of ~3m onto vinyl tiled concrete and the F04 took the brunt of the impact. The light came away unscathed and the Cerakoting was unmarked.

The pics below were taken in natural light with my iPhone so please excuse the out of focus pics. My SLR was out of juice. The only wear I can see from what I would regard as 6 months of typical EDC use are a couple of small spots on the peaks of the knurling on the tailcap. I have no vested interest in Cerakoting and I'm simply a satisfied consumer. I was so happy with the performance of the coating on my Fanta that I did not hesitate to purchase an orange Malkoff MD2 and a Vanilla HDS High CRI. Both of these lights are backups and as such haven't been carried much (maybe a couple of times) and they show no signs of wear at all.

5538583067_2b7b529fc7_z.jpg

5539163328_e888fc2dcf_z.jpg

5539162438_b6a434bfa0_z.jpg

5538592737_a53631a64b_z.jpg

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
It really makes me wonder why I even bother with this site anymore. And, I may not.

Bivins, you will get you photo, just not this weekend. I am working on going to Japan, or the USS Ronald Reagan. Bigger things in the world than flashlights.

Also, please do not connect me to your business problems, many others have had the same issue with this coating. I do not appreciate your smart remarks. I did, in the past address you as Doctor, I will not give you that courtesy in the future.

I Can't believe the petty BS directed at me because I spoke of giving away some knives.

The rest I have to say will be in PM.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
It is interesting to me that now that a couple people have chimed in with positive things to say about cerakote, this thread "has no useful life". I personally feel it is still useful so long as it remains on topic. But, DM, you of course may feel differently.

macnoodle

Newly Enlightened
I must also say I am perplexed that a professional photographer has time to chit chat online, yet can't find the time to take a few pictures of this coating "failure".

It's the same reason why a car mechanic will usually drive the crappiest car - a photographer will get busy with work, and the last thing he/she will want to do in their off-hours is take more photos!

PS
I still haven't had time to shoot a comparative video as I have been, thankfully, swamped in the shop.

There ya go! Sound familiar? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.