Changing tint with DIY "tape" filter

markr6

Flashaholic
I started posting this in Derek Dean's thread "changing LED tint with filters", but decided to create a new thread since it turned out to be a complete success!

I was talking with Derek earlier via PM about filters. I'm not real big on having a filter attached to a lens on the outside, which is all you can do with Zebralights. While I am happy with the tints on them, my new SC62w is a little green/yellow, but only in comparison with others. No, I'm not complaining again as usual :)

But I just had the crazy idea of coloring the lens with a pink hi-liter marker!! I know, it sounds crazy but hear me out!!

I figured there was about a 95% chance of this doing absolutely nothing. Well, I was SO WRONG!

You can't really see the marking, even in person. It just barely shows up as an orange-ish film on the lens. And you can't see it at all while the light is off.

SC62w_hiliter2.jpg

OK, now for the results. Many of you probably remember seeing me praise the tint on my new SC5w OP as being the best of the best. Well, it is. BUT, check this out!!!

The SC62w WITH hi-liter marker on the lens is SO GOOD it even makes the SC5w OP appear greenish. But this green is exaggerated by the camera; it's actually a very nice white in person.

SC62w_hiliter.jpg

Pretty darn amazing!! The only caveat? It will simply rub off the lens even after drying. I tried "cooking" it on by running it on high, but it just dries up and rubs off with my finger. I expected that, though.

Oh well, a fun experiment. I guess I could get some (very) transparent tape and put that over the lens.

SECOND ATTEMPT>>>

I didn't want to give up just yet, so here's what I did:

1. I got some packaging tape and pressed some against the lens. Then I cut it perfectly around the bezel using a razor blade.
2. I scribbled some pink hi-liter over this new "lens cover"
3. I let it dry for a few minutes. It started to "condense" into streaks of liquid, so I spread that around with a piece of paper.
4. Once it started to dry again, I put another piece of tape over the lens to lock it in.

sc62w_hiliter3.jpg

5. I trimmed this piece with a razor just like the first.

sc62w_hiliter4.jpg

There you have it...a custom hi-liter sandwich filter :) In person you can't tell the tape is on there and it just looks like an AR coating!

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
So was the only issue with the bare application the ease of rubbing it off?

If so, for openable lights, internal application may be an option.

uofaengr

Enlightened
Gotta say that's pretty cool. Almost Nichia like results!

Have you compared color rendering with your new tint? Might have to try this with my lower mode yellowish greenish SC52w.

markr6

Flashaholic
So was the only issue with the bare application the ease of rubbing it off?

If so, for openable lights, internal application may be an option.

Yes, it rubbed off very easy. Inside shouldn't be a problem.

I wonder if there is any kind of dye or something more permanent? But with glass, I assume just about anything would rub off.

markr6

Flashaholic
Gotta say that's pretty cool. Almost Nichia like results!

Have you compared color rendering with your new tint? Might have to try this with my lower mode yellowish greenish SC52w.

I checked it against my L10 Nichia 219A. Of course it wasn't the same rendering, but the better tint was obvious and not so far off.

markr6

Flashaholic
It's worth a try for little $$ (or free if you already have the stuff)

Marker on shiny plastic tape isn't precise, so don't expect a clean even coating. But just a halfway decent coating seems to work fine.

markr6

Flashaholic
Hmmm, something like this would be great! Too bad ZL lenses don't come out easily.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark, as you know, I think this is a brilliant idea, and the results seem to speak for them selves. I do have a question, though. Why TWO pieces of tape? Did you try tinting the front glass directly, then immediately placing the tape over that?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried doing this to my h600fd. The tint on the 600fd is very close to white (closer than a 219B), though slightly yellow/green. I thought the pink highlighter would counter-balance this slightly, but boy was I wrong!

It turned out far too pink, it even made my 219b light look green.

markr6

Flashaholic
I tried doing this to my h600fd. The tint on the 600fd is very close to white (closer than a 219B), though slightly yellow/green. I thought the pink highlighter would counter-balance this slightly, but boy was I wrong!

It turned out far too pink, it even made my 219b light look green.

Yeah that's possible. You have to play around with it...sometimes cover only 1/2 or less of the lens with a zigzag or # type pattern. I found the marker dried up a bit so I just gave up on this :(

I wish filters were stickers...that would be a no-brainer. I don't feel comfortable using glue, but I want it stuck on there 100%. No solution yet.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did order that filter book a while back that derek dean brought to light, but it never came lol. It would have been interesting to play around with the very light magenta filters they had.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know those thin plastic grocery bags? I found some that were light brown. It warms the tint nicely. :)

I wish filters were stickers...that would be a no-brainer. I don't feel comfortable using glue, but I want it stuck on there 100%. No solution yet.
A light mist of spray rubber cement on the filter. You can rub the residue off of the lens with your finger after removal of the filter.

markr6

Flashaholic
A light mist of spray rubber cement on the filter. You can rub the residue off of the lens with your finger after removal of the filter.

I may get the filter book and try some spray adhesive. I have the 3M brand stuff at work which works well on paper. It's almost a gummy consistency; hopefully it doesn't melt or burn. The SC62w gets HOT fast.

OK, since I'm reminded about this thread again I'm going to give it another go.

Derek, sorry I must have missed your previous post. The reason for 2 layers of tape is to apply the marker to the first one (seems to dry on that better than the lens) and the second layer is to protect the dried up marker from getting wet/rubbed off.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
No CPF member has access to a laser cutter? You could do a group buy.... Send the tint you want from the swatch, measure with caliper, cut, stick.....

Yay? Nay?

markr6

Flashaholic
Still rocking the second "filter" I made earlier today. Beautiful tint with a hint of "nichia pink" in it. Amazing how something so simple can be so effective.

TheGiantHogweed

Newly Enlightened
I have an LED strip and have tried several different methods of changing the tint. It seems to be around 7000k or above which is just a bit to blue for me. I first tried using some yellow permanent marker. Juts a tiny dot. That got me the exact white I was after. Probably around 6000k. In several days, the marker had faded and was going back to that slightly harsh blue tone again. I then tried white electrical tape. That got it to the correct colour I was after but it reduced the light output hugely. I then tried masking tape. That has worked best. About 4 layers on my 50cm strip gets me to the colour I am after and lasts several weeks. But again, over these weeks, the tape must start to fade again and it slowly gets closer to its original colour. My strip is waterproof and it hardly gets the slightest bit of heat to it and it is on pretty much all day as it is on the back of my PC monitor. I use it for back lighting.

Can anyone else suggest another way of making it come from about 7000k to about 6000k? Or even better, another USB powered LED strip that is 6000k to start with. All the ones I have got are either this blue colour or warm white. I can't find any that are the colour of many of my LED bulbs I have at home such as my bulb from Crompton lamps. I am starting to wonder if it is possible to change the colour tone permanently.

D6859

Enlightened
I am so going to try this on some of my lights (incl. M22, Predator, Wizard, Tiara, TN12...)!