Newly Enlightened
Hi.

I am looking for a charger with several functions:
Required:
- Programs for Charge/Discharge/Cycling
- Software for PC to follow up Currency, AH, V in graphs

Bonus:
- Both NiMH & Li-ion
- Program editor (with possibility to setup own parameter values like amp, v, additional limits, steptime etc.)

I know the edtor is used in battery manufacturing for activation and formation, but i´m not sure if it comes with "normal" chargers for home users. And probably it requires a pretty advance charger which of course raises the price, but i don´t know. That´s why im posting this thread. :)

fields_mj

Newly Enlightened
At the recomendation of some CP members I purchased a Thunder B6AC hobby charger from Hobbypartz.com I've only had it 2 weeks, and I'm currently only charging Protected AW 14500 cells on it, one at a time, but so far I really like it, and I think it is supposed to be able to do everything you are wanting to do.

My2Cents

Newly Enlightened
I have been doing some capacity checks using hobby chargers. Please note that these are user experience as I don't have the equipment or training to do technical evaluation.

For Hyperion EOS 0720i NET3-AD

It worked ok with LIxx chemistry, can even cycle once (charge/discharge or discharge/charge). Very convenient for capacity check. You can do capacity check on general limits. You can not do capacity check batteries based on some manufacturer specification. I've seen minimum 2.5V or maximum 4.35V.

This charger needs a lot of improvement for NIxx chemistry. I consider forming charge (.1C for 16 hours) as one basic requirement and this charger can not do it. You can not set it to cycle for IEC capacity check because maximum pause time is only 30 minutes and charge time only 5 hours. Maximum mAh is 9900.

Their software (not firmware) is very good. You can actually connect and control the multiple chargers from a single computer. It saves data by default as it runs for review later. Also data stream appears to have timestamp so if you start software later, graph will show from that point on.

For Bantam BC6DX-II and BC8DP

It worked ok with LIxx chemistry, can not cycle also I was unable check some battery capacity based on its manufacturer specification. I've seen minimum 2.5V or maximum 4.35V.

Works very well with NIxx chemistry. I can set and let it run and it does the rest although I wish the pause time can be longer than 60 minutes. I think I read somewhere that IEC check pause can be from 1 hour to 4 hours.

Bantam software (not firmware) provides the basic information but needs a lot of improvement. It can only run one instance and connect to a single charger. So if you have multiple chargers running, you will need that many computers to log data. Software can not control charger and data is not save automatically. So if your computer crash, all your data for that run is gone. Also data stream appears not to include timestamp so if you start software later, it will log it as if from the start (00:00:01) which is not correct. So I make sure it's running first before starting the charger.

I have some QA concerns about the BC8DP which is currently running capacity check on Tenergy that will be done in about a day. I will know more by then.

For all of the above:

You can set charge/discharge parameters on the charger itself mentioned above. The BC6DX-II and BC8DP have big screens so it's easier for an old guy like me. I use the Hyperion software to manage the 0720i instead of its smaller screen for the same reason (old).

You also have to make the charging cradle/holder for your batteries.

If you can, get the one that supports thermal cut-off. When used, this will turn off charger if certain temperature is reached.

Pay close attention to specification. These chargers can connect AC or DC and usually AC connection have less power.

Good luck on your selection.

Last edited:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a charger with several functions:
Required:
- Programs for Charge/Discharge/Cycling......

Bonus:
- Both NiMH & Li-ion

You do realize that "cycling" Li-Ion cells is not necessary, nor desired, right? There seems to be some misconception that cycling Li-Ion cells revives them, as it does in some situations concerning nickel based cells (NiCd/NiMh). This is not true, it only wears out the cells prematurely. The only legitimate reason to discharge a Li-Ion cell on a charger, is to determine it's capacity under various loads. Cycling them unnecessarily, just brings them to an earlier death.

Just a heads up.:)

Dave

My2Cents

Newly Enlightened
More information on BC8DP.

I got email reply but there was no answer when I asked manufacturer if units are calibrated before leaving factory so most likely it's not. This will explain why, even under similar conditions, one of my charger is consistently giving high mAh and the other low.

I am aware that hobby chargers are not precision meters, I was just hoping for reasonable accuracy. So unless your requirement is for large screen and better menu presentation, then there are other hobby chargers out there with similar capabilities so you don't have to spend more for the same features.

carmen

Newly Enlightened
I will not go for the Hyperion since it doesnt seem to support NiMH very good as you wrote.
Bantam seems intresting. I havent browsed serous enough for charger yet.
There were some more sites referred to in the beginning of this thread that i also will have a look at.

Thermal limits seems like a good idea to have. But that is something i could circuit external if its not included.

User 45/70: My cycling would only be for NiMH =)

JudasD

Enlightened
More information on BC8DP.

I got email reply but there was no answer when I asked manufacturer if units are calibrated before leaving factory so most likely it's not. This will explain why, even under similar conditions, one of my charger is consistently giving high mAh and the other low.

I am aware that hobby chargers are not precision meters, I was just hoping for reasonable accuracy. So unless your requirement is for large screen and better menu presentation, then there are other hobby chargers out there with similar capabilities so you don't have to spend more for the same features.

I am reading this as Bantam isn't worth the money unless you need the big screen. Is that correct? I am currently having difficulties choosing a hobby charger. I like the idea of a USB adapter. There doesnt seem to be enough folks on here talking about these kinds of hobby chargers to really get an idea. Seems like the iCharger gets talked about the most on CPF. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
JD