Cheap Source of Battery Packs for Petzl CORE Headlamps

jag-engr

Enlightened
I really like the idea of the Petzl CORE headlamps, but the CORE battery packs run $25-30 each. The whole idea of a rechargeable headlamp is to not spend more on batteries than on the actual headlamp.

I recently purchased a Klarus HR1 Pro (which I ended up hating), and noticed that its Klarus LB12 rechargeable battery pack ($12 at Battery Junction) looked remarkably similar to the Petzl CORE.

So, I topped off the battery pack and tried to fit it into a CORE-compatible Petzl light. It didn't fit. I couldn't understand why not, but then I noticed a little plastic nub sticking out on one end of the Klarus battery. I shaved that off with a knife, and the Klarus pack popped right in. It powers the Petzl CORE lights perfectly!

This is the perfect way to buy multiple battery packs for CORE-compatible Petzl lights at less than half the price!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering the same about the battery packs for the Coast and Bushnell lights from Walmart. Will they work in a Petzl Tikka. It's $35-$38 for one of those lights with a li-ion battery pack and $30 for the core battery alone.

jag-engr

Enlightened
I was wondering the same about the battery packs for the Coast and Bushnell lights from Walmart. Will they work in a Petzl Tikka. It's $35-$38 for one of those lights with a li-ion battery pack and $30 for the core battery alone.
Do you have a picture of one? What are the dimensions? What is the rated capacity?

At any rate, the Klarus packs are probably still cheaper, unless you have some use for the Coast and Bushnell lights.

Like so many electronics, they are probably all being made at the same factory and just have different labels.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore is coming out with a headlight that takes a lithium ion battery to replace 3 aaa batteries. The spare batteries are $10 each and usb-c rechargeable. I ordered two on sale for $8 each. I'm hoping they work in my Petzl Tikka. May need a little modification though. They've been back ordered for a month so I don't have any idea when they will finally be shipped. I'll see if they work if I ever get them.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore is coming out with a headlight that takes a lithium ion battery to replace 3 aaa batteries. The spare batteries are $10 each and usb-c rechargeable. I ordered two on sale for $8 each. I'm hoping they work in my Petzl Tikka. May need a little modification though. They've been back ordered for a month so I don't have any idea when they will finally be shipped. I'll see if they work if I ever get them.
The Nitecore HLB1300 battery does not fit in a Petzl Tikka. It's too big. Just got them in the mail. Had to learn that the hard way.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I shaved off a small triangle shaped nub on the HLB1300 Nitecore battery and shaved off the plastic molding for 3 AAAs in the battery cover of a 550 lumen Duracell headlight from Costco. Those Nitecore batteries now work in that headlight. Didn't want to waste my batteries I just bought, and didn't want to spend $60 on a plastic headlight they were made for. Got those batteries working in a $5 headlight instead that's as bright as the $60 one. Only drawback is the automatic dimming down on the cheap headlight designed for alkalines.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Petzl Core batt packs were on sale at Moose Head and Sportsman's Warehouse selling at about $9 below MSRP, although they're still pricey at $20., I get good service from the packs.. Just a heads up they go on sale throughout holidays

jan.vystrcil

Newly Enlightened
HLB1300 battery
May I ask you "stupid" question but how big is "too big" when trying to fit HLB1300 battery to Petzl? Any knife cutting of "overhang pins" on battery side would not help to fit? Or is the problem of Nitecore being square shaped, but Petzl expecting rounded corners of battery profile?
In Europe I can easily get the Nitecore battery, but struggling to buy Kastar for id682 or LB12 Klarus.