Check out the new Maratac Nichia AAA Copper!

MJGEGB

Newly Enlightened
33582139712_ab85c86127_k.jpg

My Copper Nichia Rev 4 and the only picture I bothered to take while it was still shinny. Being that I keychain carry, I don't bother with the pocket clip. I did however make a headband for my aaa lights a while back out of a section of elastic.

bigfoot

Enlightened
About to pull the trigger on one of these new Maratac AAA combos (Rev. 4 Copper / Nichia 219). Looking through the thread, am I reading correctly that there is *no* PWM with these? Thanks fellow CPF'ers! :D

sbslider

Enlightened
I am no expert on PWM, but I know those who do care greatly about PWM have stated that this light does not use PWM.

It does not fall short on even one single criteria that I consider a priority. NoPWM, High CRI, neutral CCT, noGreen Tint, reversible pocket clip, tailstand capable, antibacterial, aesthetically pleasing, smooth action.

It is a nice light for sure.

Last edited:

Zak

Enlightened
Yeah exactly, there's no such thing as 138 lumens for 70 minutes with Nichia! That's the only downside of Nichia's LED

Not with AAA there isn't. You're not going to get 168 lumens per watt with current LEDs, a 1.2V battery and a boost driver at all.

Here's a runtime graph from my Thrunite Ti5 with the original XP-L and a 219C. Both are about 40 minutes to 10%, suggesting to me that to nearly double that would require either much worse regulation than the Ti5 or a large timed stepdown.

90g7IHg.png

sbslider

Enlightened
Withdrawn, I can play nicely I promise . . .:naughty:

Last edited:

Nichia!

Banned
PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS NOT (( Thrunite )) Topic!! It's is about NICHIA AND COPPER AND MARATAC WHICH IS THRUNITE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THESE ARE!!!!
Please STOP Mentioning Thrunite here For what ever the reason are Never Ever Again......Ever!!!

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS NOT (( Thrunite )) Topic!! It's is about NICHIA AND COPPER AND MARATAC WHICH IS THRUNITE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THESE ARE!!!!
Please STOP Mentioning Thrunite here For what ever the reason are Never Ever Again......Ever!!!

I believe the comparison and runtime graphic was done to show what a nichia in a AAA light is capable of. There's nothing wrong with someone using that to show how runtime/brightness would be on a similar light as it helps to understand the efficiency of the Nichia led with a similar driver/battery. Either way, the post by Zak was definitely relevant and helpful in giving an idea of what a Nichia on AAA is capable of.

Last edited:

Zak

Enlightened
I'm trying to illustrate what relatively flat regulation with similar output and a higher-efficiency LED (both the XP-L and 219C are more efficient than the 219B) looks like, not get into Maratac vs. Thrunite or anybody else. One AAA battery won't produce 138 lumens for 70 minutes with any current LED. There is a stepdown/rampdown, or the runtime would be substantially shorter, like the Ti5's is.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Maratac spec of 138 lumens is not accurate for the Nichia version. The most I get is 91 lumens. I hope others with better equipment will update the runtime curves
here is High Mode on Eneloop Pro
vertical scale is lumens, horizontal scale is minutes
33583947371_5663c9731e_b.jpg

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I'm wondering if SelfBuilt will review this light? I'm really curious to find out what the runtime is on Medium mode....

Jon, what do you measure the lumen output to be on this mode?

sbslider

Enlightened
I'm wondering if SelfBuilt will review this light? I'm really curious to find out what the runtime is on Medium mode....
I measured the current draw of this light as well as the Lumintop Worm, and Lumintop Copper Tool. I found that all three light drew close to the same current on high, but the Maratac draws about 8% more than the worm on Medium. I would expect about 8% shorter run time.

I recall running a test on the Maratac also and found the data:
On medium mode I found the Maratac to start dimming around 3 hours 40 minutes, while the Worm starts dimming right at 4 hours. Looks closer to 9% shorter.

Zak

Enlightened
91 lumens for 40 minutes is much more in line with what I expected. Thanks for the graph.

If anybody has one of these things, an Android device and a desire to make graphs without having to take manual readings every few minutes, there's an app for that.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Thank you both for the replies...

sbslider, which type of battery was utilized for the runtime... Eneloop Pro?

sbslider

Enlightened
Thank you both for the replies...

sbslider, which type of battery was utilized for the runtime... Eneloop Pro?
you're welcome

standard eneloops. I have the white ones and some green ones that I found in the recycled battery pile . . . They seem to work just as well as the white ones I purchased. I don't recall which ones I used for my test, but I do recall I did it twice and go the same result twice. The test I ran twice was to run the worm and Maratac both powered by eneloops (mixture if whites and greens) on medium until I could observe with my eyes a dimming of light. I don't have a meter, but I will likely investigate the app mentioned above for future tests. ..

Nichia!

Banned
Is it true that countycomm changed the led on aaa copper from 219b to C ?????
any proof ???