Chinese XM-L Headlamp, What do you think?

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened
I kinda like it. Seems like a knockoff of the LEDLenser H14 but it's putting a bunch of amps into an XM-L. I bet it's closer to 700 lumen OTF. Reviews seem to be good. I think the weak points will likely be the switch and the cable, and maybe overheating. Strobe mode and no low mode means I won't be getting one though.

Paperdesk

Newly Enlightened
I don't know why they put a strobe mode on every single light! This one does have a medium setting, but as you say, no low. I wonder what the run time would be on those 2 18650's on medium.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cant be that comfortable to carry 2x18650's on your head. Weight+ if the cells one day is unbalanced :poof:. You got a bomb strapped to your neck..
The heat from those "1200" lumens would not feel great on my forehead.

Paperdesk

Newly Enlightened
Cant be that comfortable to carry 2x18650's on your head. Weight+ if the cells one day is unbalanced :poof:. You got a bomb strapped to your neck..

I have to say you do make some really good points that I hadn't thought of!

Ted

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened

On the contrary, I'd say that because the batteries are on the back of the head it will likely be rather well balanced compared to the popular Spark and Zebralight style designs that put the whole apparatus on your forehead. None of the other headlamps I've used that max out an XM-L get too hot to wear, so I don't think this one will either. It would be inefficient to run the two batteries in series (would have to burn off a lot of excess voltage), so I think it's safe to assume that they are wired in parallel which should be pretty safe. Unfortunately there are still the no-low-mode and strobe-mode issues so I still won't be picking one up myself. :)

Paperdesk

Newly Enlightened
I've thought this through a bit. The weight doesn't concern me, my current favorite uses 4AA's now. I use protected cells, so I doubt they're going to explode. I know nothing about the heat issue, so I won't comment on that. However, my biggest concern is the brightness. It's too easy to shine a headlamp in someone's eyes, and something this bright could really bother people, and if there is no low mode, you might just end up losing all your friends!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the contrary, I'd say that because the batteries are on the back of the head it will likely be rather well balanced compared to the popular Spark and Zebralight style designs that put the whole apparatus on your forehead. None of the other headlamps I've used that max out an XM-L get too hot to wear, so I don't think this one will either. It would be inefficient to run the two batteries in series (would have to burn off a lot of excess voltage), so I think it's safe to assume that they are wired in parallel which should be pretty safe. Unfortunately there are still the no-low-mode and strobe-mode issues so I still won't be picking one up myself. :)
When im talking about balance,i was thinking about two cells with different voltage. One cell starts "charging" the other, and poof. I dont feel totally safe with two18650's. Even with the best protected 18650 cells money can buy. And i use them in handheld high quality lights. Im not super worried, but It's alway in the back of my mind when i use a light with more than one cell. I dont want it on the back of my head too :). Prefer single 18650 lights.
I dont think the batteries are parallel. Thats really uncommon in most lights. I bet i can find atleast 100 "serial lights" for every "parallel light" you can come up with :) But for the price, it might be the aa version with parallel batteries..

I wouldent want one of theese.
1: I cant think of any situation where i would want/need "1200" lumens, strobe or 2x18650's on my head. I think the 29 lumen medium mode on my zebra is really bright, and I rarly need to go into one of the higher modes.

2: I dont buy cheap lights where one xm-l t6 produces 1200-2000 lumens. Reason is, they are lying their asses off. I dont like to hand over my money to pepole that need to lie to sell their products. A xm-l t6 at 1200 lumens would need to be driven really hard. I dont see that mutch mass or heatsinking on this headlamp.. Zoom light loose a lot of lumens in the optics. Adjust it for throw, and you loose even more. Many quality handheld lights struggle to get 700 real lumens from a t6. And they are usually bigger,with better heatsinking, and dont have a zoom optic. I would bet it's not more than 500-600 lumen at flood mode, and even less when ajusted for throw.

Last edited: