• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired *Closed* Programmable Incandescent Regulator 1 sales thread

pertinax

Enlightened
Re: Programmable Incandescent Regulator 1 sign up-thread *accepting payments*

Focus on your exams... I for one can wait.

Pertinax

Robban

Enlightened

pertinax said:
Focus on your exams... I for one can wait.

Pertinax
I'm gonna have to agree with pertinax here. Get the exams out of the way first, they're more important.

I'm "patiently" awaiting my Mag85 kit that seems to be caught somewhere between the states and Sweden for the last couple of weeks *cry* Once I get it (IF I get it :p ) I might be interested in one of these after all :)

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

A little update again.

Our other supplier (ELFA) reported that they had 69 5 V regulators in stock which we will get tomorrow. Although there are 77 regulators ordered, only 65 are paid for so it should be enough.

I have only one exam left now and I should be studying but my brain feels quite tender after 4 straight hours of electric power technology exam today. In fact, I feel it's justified with ice cream and cookies after this mental trial although my love handles are growing. If I wasn't having a test tomorrow, it would even be in stand for a grogg. Although grogg is a Swedish word, they use grog in the Monkey Island series of games just as it sounds with almost the same meaning so you should the hang of what it is. :)

After tomorrow, it should be just drilling, soldering and programming. The programming part is not something I'm looking forward to although it will be Alexander's job. If we make a mistake in the boot loader and ship them with some kind of bug, it would be a nasty thing to solve the logistic problem how and where to reprogram them if we release a new firmware. We just have to do everything right from the beginning this time again.

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

i would recommend taking 2 or 3 final drivers and running them a good 4 days of use to make sure no bugs in the final firmware to avoid the reprogramming issue.

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

Status update again.

Our exams are over. I thought I was screwed in high frequency technology until I found a hidden 10 point task and I only needed 5 points in total to pass the test and it was very easy so everything should have worked out all right.

Anyway, about your regulators, we got the 5 V regulators today and we started soldering them. I did about 30% on 13 of them in four hours but I should be able to pick up the speed tomorrow. It will take a lot of time though but it should be ready before Sunday.

We found one thing that might be a hardware bug. The regulator is supposed to keep itself alive when you reflash it but we might have to drop that feature, meaning that you have to press and hold the power-button during the reflash (3 seconds or so). I don't think everyone will get the programming kit or make their own but it's only a minor one and we might be able to solve it as well.

Furthermore, our green LEDs turned out yellow but I guess you can live with it.

I can also report that the board height is around 9.6 mm as tallest due to one high inductor. It shouldn't pose any problems.

The only problems I can see now is that we got too few resistors but we should be able to get more by Friday. Otherwise it looks good. We got the first regulator to flash its LEDs so it can't be any major problems now.

Take care!
/Andreas

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

Todays update:

I have finished soldering 22.3% of the components but the last ones might take a little bit longer so I just might be ready till Sunday if I can increase my pace.

Alexander reported that the programming is progressing as planed and that our little hardware bug is solvable so you should not notice it at all, unless you put in under the microscope and look for it.

We did a little test with the regulator. With 69 W @ 22 V load, we weren't able to tell if the transistor had increased its temperature or not so things are looking good. :)

Last edited:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

Todays update, if someone is curious. My last updates haven't had a lot of views per update, but I don't blame you.

I was involuntary pulled to a game of pool tonight so almost three hours disappeared for me but so far I'm 33 % complete and there are still three hours left of the evening/night until the trams don't go anymore.

Alexander reported that the bootloader is ready now so it's "only" the real programming left.

We are unfortunately short on resistors that will come in on Tuesday so all of you can't have their regulators shipped on Monday, even if everything else is ready.

Last edited:

flex76italy

Enlightened

winny said:
Todays update, if someone is interested.

Yes, someone is interested....can't wait :popcorn:

:wave:

Starlight

Enlightened

Believe it or not, we are patiently waiting on your updates and notice that you are shipping. If you need to be goaded, there are lots of people on the forum who are good at that, just say the word.

Seriously, we appreciate the notices. Keep up the good work.

cnjl3

Enlightened

winny said:
Todays update, if someone is interested. My last updates have been viewed by 20 times or so.

someone? it is more likely "everyone" is listening, watching, waiting, etc...

i know i can hardly wait for your PIR -but i certainly wouldnt want you to
rush and let quality suffer-so do what you have to do and godspeed!

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry about that. I just came home and re-read what I just wrote. You get the impression that I was way more sour when I wrote it than I actually was, because I wasn't. I'll edit it.

Anyhow, I catched the last bus and before that, I managed to finish enough soldering to have 12 out of 28 components on every board so I'm almost half-way done.

Starlight,

I had to look up goaded. A useful word indeed, but I had never heard of it.
Well, it's always nice when people belive in what you are doing, but I wouldn't blame them if they only wanted a date when they are ready to ship either. I sometimes think that at least someone will post a cheer for me when they have received their new regulator and shined the crap out of their old mag. But what do I know... :candle:

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh people will most certainly cheer! (feels pretty good when it happens too). I don't think there was a feeling of 'sour' just some playful humor.

What soldering station are you using? I upgraded to the MX-500 metcal and man it makes soldering 3x as easy now compared to my old one.

-awr

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess times have changed at college. I always celebrated the completion of exams with beer. :)

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, we usually have CMP - Clear Memory Pub after our exams but I feel too much guilt for not making this sale happen quicker so I passed the beer this time.
HOWEVER, after the first run of regulators are shipped, we are talking serious beer intake at the local pub. Meet you there! :buddies:

awr,

I use a Weller WSP 80 with a messed up tip and good old dried out soldering lead. One day I will learn to use our hot air station (WAD 10) because it's so much easier and quicker once you get the hang of it.

Last edited:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tonights update:

I'm sorry my friends, my brain caved in after six hours of straight soldering and I needed to go before 23:00 if I wanted something to eat, and I was hungry. I guess I'm not Chinese after all because I can't work 12 hours per day without any food.

Man, this work is getting to me. After tomorrow, I need a break...

Anyhow, I managed to complete about 63 % of the work before that. To offer two more customizations besides the 45 V capability posed more work than I had planed. Sure, to not solder a specific is quicker, but on which regulators, and to match them with the 45 V version as well. Well well, it's too late now. I need to work out a system for that tomorrow.

I can tell you one thing for sure, after this, I will be round as a sphere. The electronics club that I am president of and where I'm doing all my soldering has bought very good cookies and sells them cheap, very cheap. That's not all either, there are a lot of them as well so my consumption is direct proportional to the amount and anti-proportional to the price.

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I definitely know the feeling.. have about 60 hotdrivers soldered up, the first batch out the door, but also assembled into the KIU sockets, at least you don't have that to look forward to.

My body decided *for me* that today was a day off, don't work too hard that you get sick, you won't save any time in the long run.

I solder up groups of 4 when doing HD.. i get the thrill of victory every 4 then.. it's a convienent size that fits in the vice (now the jig i made)... and the boards came on pannels 4 x 5, which i saw apart before soldering to strips of 4.

The jig i made is great.. maybe something like it would work for you.. I took a wooden block that was actually a 'pinewood derby car' blank.. cut off one side at a 10-15 deg. angle and on the flat side, i drilled holes in just the right places where i could put some 3mm brass rod that lines up exactly with the KIU holes on the boards.. just 3 pins.. so i just drop the board on and it snaps right on the pin.. it'll hold 1, 2, 3 or 4 boards in-line.

In your case with reverse side components, i would drill out holes covering the center of the board and you can put a board on either way with components on..

It saves me several minutes per group of four in assembly because it's instant to flip or move a board.. I solder all the 'east' sides of the resistors, etc, then i flip 180 deg. and solder the 'west' sides so i can hold the soldering iron the same way, it goes very quickly.. 4 per hour complete.. including testing and setting the voltage.

Check out the pic of the hotdriver here didn't wan't to hog PIR space with my bigass picture.. and notice that all components but ONE capacitor have east-west alignment other than the trim pots... learned from experience with the last two soldering jobs that that really speeds up assembly!

Good luck, can't wait to see them, but we're all patient enough to have them done right so go get your beer it'll calm the jitters and you'll solder better.

-awr

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

But I do have to worry about the KIU installations. I plan to offer complete drop-ins after this so I can finance my upcoming flashlights...

I don't have time to lay of today, although it might save time in the long run. We have a lot to do in school next week so I need to make the most out of this weekend.

I find it more efficient to solder all the 10 k resistors for instance at once and then move on to the next component although it's more mentally challenging.

I use a clamp for fixating the PCBs. It works well, but the working height is a little bit too high so it's killing my back slowly and steadily. Not so much left now anyway...

You have nine fewer components and way more space... Lucky *******! :rant:

I can't sit here babbling on any more, I can rest when I'm six feet under...

Illuminated

Enlightened

Winny,

Keep up the good work - but don't burn yourself out. I can well imagine the stress involved with combining exams, normal daily responsibilities, and mounting the monumental task of hand-building 80 custom regulators loaded with surface-mount components. If you need to take a break - TAKE IT !! You've earned it.

I myself have learned the hard way that sometimes a little break can work wonders for productivity, and that pushing on without one when you really need it can result in some very costly mistakes due to fatigue.

We know how hard you've been working, but I think most of us here would rather you pace yourself and take care of yourself - rather than see you kill yourself trying to get everything done a little bit sooner. We (cpf'ers) tend to be an impatient lot, but we all know that we'll be rewarded for our patience.

Thanks for the updates!

John

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Boy do i know that back-breaking feeling.. yeah.. like i mentioned.. hotdriver was designed to have as few components as absolutely possible.. w/o the high-temp ckt (thanks bill waites for the inspiration on that one).. there are only 14 components on one side of 1 board. mostly 0603 aka 'holy crap are those small' aka 'dirt' (my favorite).. just a grain of dirt.. look close enough and it has letters on it!

vveerry good idea to offer complete ckts built into KIU as a drop-in.. it will certainly make it easier to sell more units. Look at my assembly guide to get ideas, or you can wait 'til i get mine and i will make an installation guide how to with the most efficient method possible

-0awr

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

awr,

0603 are big! :) You should take a look at a fine-line BGA sometime. They are small!

Anyway, todays update is as follows:

I managed to almost complete 23 regulators. They have everything on them except the uC and two transistors. I'll leave that to Alex because it's very hard to correct of you solder them wrong.

I've been counting and counting and it seems that I only did about 250 components in seven hours. That can't be right, or my last figure for how big part I've completed so far was wrong because I'm up to 68 % now and I know I did more than 5 percentage points today. I blame those darn SO23 and especially SO23-5 components.

Our new deadline is set for Wednesday. Keep your fingers crossed!

Last edited: