• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired *Closed* Programmable Incandescent Regulator 1 sales thread

aosty

Enlightened
Re: Programmable Incandescent Regulator 1 sign up-thread *accepting payments*

andrewwynn said:
aosty.. the numbers are correct for the 1166.. interesting that shutdown and operation are the same voltage, it's just a coincidence.

I run the 1166 at 12.5V.. 913/594L.. from a 14.4V source.. means that with the hotdriver it will shut off at 11.5V but that is 2.785V/cell and i prefer to shut off LiON at about 3.1V/Cell which is 12.4V.. but no point to go below operational voltage if you can change the shutdown voltage... then you get 100% regulation.

:stupid: :stupid:

:ohgeez:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the postal office today before it closed due to school work that had to be done.

20 more regulators are finished and will be shipped tomorrow.

Our supplier got our 5 V regulators today as well so we will pick them up tomorrow and hopefully be 100 % done tomorrow or on Friday, depending on school and other things.

I don't know when I will have the time to write a manual and there is a big chance/risk that some of the people in Europe will receive their regulators tomorrow. Here is a picture for you in the meantime:

connect.png

THIS REGULATOR IS NOT PROTECTED AGAINST REVESE POLARITY. CONNECTING PLUS TO BAT- WILL BREAK YOUR REGULATOR, CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY AND DEATH. DON'T TRY IT.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW!

Winny thanks for posting the finished PIR pic, now all I need to do is Beef Up the wires in my Momentary Mag Swich Mod to handle the incan current.....SWEET!

Later
Kelly

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Doesn't this regulator use a pair of LEDs for various purposes? Are they soldered onto the back of the board?

And speaking of beefing up wires, what would you recommend for the battery and bulb wires? I'm guessing the switch wires can be a much thinner gauge?

Jon

Last edited:

WhiteHot

Enlightened

Sway said:
WOW!

Winny thanks for posting the finished PIR pic, now all I need to do is Beef Up the wires in my Momentary Mag Swich Mod to handle the incan current.....SWEET!

Later
Kelly

I dont think that you will need to do that. The switch is only there to kick the MCU in the butt to get things moving. We are talking on the order of milliamps for te switch :)

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

yes, what whitehot said.. the Bat+ goes right through the magswitch to the + on the battery.. i personally would use 30ga wire for the control, it probably uses microamps.

-awr

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

StoneDog,

Yes, they are. There is a picture of the front-side of the regulator on the first page of this thread.

WhiteHot,

Correct. Even of you would have a serious voltage drop over your switch cables, it would still work as it only needs 5 V or so to operate, regardless of what the input voltage is.

andrewwynn,

Yes, correct.

Furthermore, the other holes are seriously large, they might even have been too large. Use thick wires or use plenty of soldering lead when soldering your cables and please mind the 20 kohm resistor that we had to post-production mount between one of the ICs and the big plus-pad on the front side. If you accidentally de-solder it, you can't turn off your regulator. This isn't hard, but if you use your old granddads diesel-driven soldering iron or an 500 W electrical one with a tip large as your thumb, you will be in trouble.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Programmable Incandescent Regulator 1 sign up-thread

i have to say they really came out beautiful.. kudos man.. double-sided board with much trickier soldering whew.

it looks like the DPAK is just soldered on the edge..is it completely soldered underneath? (i of course have to do that with power spikes nearly 200W at turnon.. need maximum power dissipation!).. fairly moot point with the PIR, i'm just curious.

i used holes that exactly match the 16ga wire (or equivalent.. it's from france i'm sure they use a metric wire).. in the KIU socket kit.. almost too close.. if one strand is bent, must straighten it out to get it throught the hole.. Good to have nice big mounting holes though.. if you want to use with a big lamp it'll be pushing 10A+ at times..

I'm very curious to see what the startup ramp is like with a 100W light and the PIR.. since i'm guiessing that the voltage is ramped up linearly it should be a veeerry nice ramp of power, especially with 400ms startup time.

-awr

Last edited:

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Winny

Just checking

- One side of the switch is still +Batt(Common) as per prototype ?

- How are the LEDs set up in the standard delivery model ?

Thanks Pete

Delghi

Enlightened

I received the PIR1 this morning.. it looks cool :)
I will try to fit it into the kiu socket tonight
Thanks again

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

petrev said:
- One side of the switch is still +Batt(Common) as per prototype ?

That is correct. I have to check which one of the them is the +Bat if you want to know and don't have a DMM.

petrev said:
- How are the LEDs set up in the standard delivery model ?

The red LED blinks together with the lamp if the battery voltage reaches the warning level. Apart from that, they are only used for the programming so far. We will start to work on more features soon and give you a circuit diagram how to make your own programming adapter so you can make them do other things as well.
I'll try to write more tonight.

andrewwynn,

Yes, your observation is correct. If you need to pull 20 A through it, I suggest you feed it with some more soldering lead. I thought that people would mount the transistor against the bottom of the Kiu-socket so it could cool of against it. We are still talking about very low power levels here that needs to be taken care of.

Sanny

Newly Enlightened

Mr. PIR safely arrived this morning here in Switzerland, too :) Looks awesome!
(actually, "safely" refers to the PIR, because the envelope itself had two big rips on it :eek: which scared me a lot!)
His buddy Mr. Kiu Socket hasn't arrived yet, so I'll probably wait till it arrives to do any test on live bulbs.
I still haven't understood how to navigate between the 9 points of the main menu... but there's no hurry for this.

Thanks again, Andreas and Alexander, this is really some outstanding work :thumbsup:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sanny,

That's good news.
The plain envelopes was a quick and dirty solution but I hope that all of them should arrive safe.

They menu system is self going. If you don't enter menu 1, it will continue to menu 2 within about 1 sec and then menu 3 and so on until you press the button to enter one of the menues. If you don't press the button for some time, it will timeout and shut down.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Programmable Incandescent Regulator 1 sales thread

If it is not too late I want to order one as well. :)

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

Spacemarine,

Your'e quite welcome! :)
Your flashlight will become ready before mine. Rant! :rant:

Anyhow, some guy named Anthony Rippin has paid me and didn't include his CPF handle. If anyone know who he is, please PM me.

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

If anyone tell me _NOW_ that thay can desolder their LEDs and or tempsensor themself, they can have their regulator shipped today. No PMs, post here!

Last edited:

cnjl3

Enlightened

if all it takes is a regular soldering iron then i will be able to unsolder them.
would this also include the second one i recently paypal'd to your account?

Last edited:

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Question, if everyone is planning on using these in conjunction with a KIU, how will you see the LEDs? Are you planning on dissassembling whenever you want to reconfigure?

I was planning to drill a couple of small holes in my Mag and mount the LEDs just inside so they would be visible all the time. Am I missing something? :)

Jon