Coleman 4 x Cree Lantern

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to admire Coleman for all the ideas they come up with. I wonder if we'll see a more modern looking version down the road. The gas mantle retro look makes it bigger than it has to be. Also a rechargeable lead acid battery (like some Coleman fluorescent lanterns) might be nicer than having to feed it 8 D cells. Basically have a housing just big enough to contain a lead acid battery with a couple of frosted tubes on top to house the emitters. Maybe all you need is one large frosted tube for the emitters. Hmmm... this might make a fun mod project.

Edit: This Coleman lantern is the sort of design I'm referring too. I used to own one and liked it because it could recharge from either AC or 12v from your car, and the cords stored in the base. It also has a sliding glare shield for when you want to keep the light off a certain area. The only real drawback of this model is that fluorescent tubes are just lacking in output. Seems this lantern isn't made anymore. If Coleman were to use this lantern again and swap the fluorescent tubes for a two or four cree LED lantern I'd buy it immediately. It wouldn't even need to be as tall without those long fluorescent tubes.

One more little accessory I'd like; a multi-setting on/off IR remote for when you don't want to get up from your lounge chair. The remote could conveniently store in a cavity on the side of the lantern.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now Colemans site doesn't have the "Add to Cart" option on the Lantern,...or the price anymore,...OR the info that stated they would be receiving them in stock on May 15th...

So I emailed them once again to try and order one... and here's the response...

I have checked on the lantern, it is not for sale at this time. They took it off the website because there is no stock. I am sorry we will not be able to place an order for this model.

So,... that's all I know at this point....

:(

Rick

Dang! :( I was really looking forward to picking one of these up. Hopefully they'll be available again in the near future.

You have to admire Coleman for all the ideas they come up with. I wonder if we'll see a more modern looking version down the road.

I'm also impressed with the new lanterns that Coleman is coming out with. The Quad LED lantern with removable panels is very unique idea, I'm just not sure if I have a real use for it. I agree that the gas lantern style makes this (and the 390 lumen twin LED family lantern) larger than they have to be. You could make a relatively small 8D lantern if you had the base only slightly larger than 8D cells, and then the rest of it wouldn't have to be very large.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update! On April 30th 2009 at 4:55 P.M., I received confirmation from a Bass Pro Shops retail store that the main warehouse will be getting them in stock by the middle/end of May. They should ship out and reach the retail locations by the first two weeks of June. So, expect to see them for sale by mid-June (at the earliest). This is good news; it means they have not dropped off the face of the Earth altogether.

The price is as it was, $69.99.

Corporate = No Idea.
Retail Outlet One = No idea.
Retail Outlet Two = No idea.
Retail Outlet Three = Third Time's the Charm = See Above.
:thumbsup:

LEDAdd1ct

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Use this code for 20% off at Coleman.com its good till June 1st 9PHN5. They also are running a free shipping promo till May 21st not sure if can get both but worth a shot

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! Try posting it in the "Good Deals" section in the Marketplace.

The Coleman site won't load for me- is anybody else experiencing this?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is working for me now!

EDIT: 5/17/09 4:15 P.M.

-cancel that. I can view the item, but after adding to my cart, it goes foul. It says:

"Commerce.Page error '80004005'
Application("MSCSShopperManager") is missing.
/coleman/includes/i_connect.inc, line 100"

:(

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
I just tried mine,.. .and it goes all the way through the checkout process... but you can't seem to be able to have both the Free shipping AND 20% off... I may wait till tomorrow and call coleman and see if there is a way to combine both savings codes :D ...we'll see :) ...

It looks like 72 bucks is the cheapest way to go using a single promo savings (20% off ) .. Still not too bad though :)

Rick

ledaholic

Enlightened
Clicking on the above posted links apparently doesn't take you to the "family store". I believe you have to actually log in to the store. From the Coleman home page, all the way down to the bottom the page, select "Site map". Under "Web store" select "Family store". Enter the password "family" at the prompt. You are now in the family store. Great discounts!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just placed my order! I can't wait to get this badboy and compare it to the twin 2x Cree family lantern.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
-and I can't wait to see/hear your review, as well as whether or not it is easy to swap LEDs for a warmer tint...:whistle:

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered mine!... yeah!...

Thanks for the "Family Store" hook up!!

Rick

lovecpf

ledaholic

Enlightened
I got mine today! Problem is, I don't have any D cells:sigh:. I had some D Nicads, not charged very well but I put them in just to get an idea. Looks like it is going to be plenty bright. I put the batts on charge and we'll see what happens after dark. While I was waiting, I opened it up to see what makes it tick. The batt compartment is actually a 2 parallel 4 series setup. It will run on 4 D cells in a pinch with no problem. The switch was a little flaky so I put some ProGold on it and took care of that problem. I'm thinkin I'm gonna like this one a lot. Now to come up with a 6v regulator and stuff it with Li-Ion's:grin2:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine today! Problem is, I don't have any D cells:sigh:. I had some D Nicads, not charged very well but I put them in just to get an idea. Looks like it is going to be plenty bright. I put the batts on charge and we'll see what happens after dark. While I was waiting, I opened it up to see what makes it tick. The batt compartment is actually a 2 parallel 4 series setup. It will run on 4 D cells in a pinch with no problem. The switch was a little flaky so I put some ProGold on it and took care of that problem. I'm thinkin I'm gonna like this one a lot. Now to come up with a 6v regulator and stuff it with Li-Ion's:grin2:

Sweet! Mine is supposed to arrive on Tuesday, and I can't wait!

How are you gonna have an awesome lantern like this coming in the mail, and not have any batteries to feed it? :laughing:

I'm assuming it's going to be pretty damn bright, considering the 390 lumen family lantern is which bright, and this one is rated at 200 lumens brighter.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy, I feel like an idiot! I assumed since there were eight cells, it must run off twelve volts. :eek: I am really glad to see I was wrong.

How is the build quality? From examining the other lanterns in Sears today, I was not all that impressed. The battery compartment felt very flimsy.

Is it a square box that fits inside the bottom?

ledaholic

Enlightened
How are you gonna have an awesome lantern like this coming in the mail, and not have any batteries to feed it?

I was thinking it ran on 12v and had a different plan than using D cells.

How is the build quality? From examining the other lanterns in Sears today, I was not all that impressed. The battery compartment felt very flimsy.
Is it a square box that fits inside the bottom?

The build quality is typical Coleman. The battery compartment is integral and does not come out like the others. It is circular around the base of the lantern .