Coleman 4 x Cree Lantern

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Mine showed up yesterday too!!>.... but like an idiot,...I didn't have any D cell around either,... :(

The Wife went to Wally world today so I told her to pick me up an 8 pack of them.... wouldn't you know it,.. she forgot!

I guess I'll run out tomorrow and pick some up myself :)

Rick

AlexLED

Enlightened
The batt compartment is actually a 2 parallel 4 series setup.
Now to come up with a 6v regulator and stuff it with Li-Ion's:grin2:

Uhm, I was thinking of stuffing a 12V SLA into this ! :thinking:
Would be much easier to charge in a car ! :twothumbs
Using a linear 6V regulator would be a pitty, though... Any idea if the LED driver could handle 12V ?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine should be here sometime later today. I'll be putting up a review compared to all of my other lanterns.

ledaholic

Enlightened
I got to use mine Sun morning when a storm knocked out the power. I set it on the next lowest level and had plenty of light for the living room, dining room and kitchen. Putting it on high would have been overkill. On another note, I came up with a Dc-Dc 5V out switcher I'm going to try tonight. If it works out, I've got a 7Ah 4Cell Li-Ion pack to go in there.

ledaholic

Enlightened
Well,i had this all typed up and then I hit Ctrl+w and it all went away. Here's the short version. I hooked up the 20W 9-18V input to 5V out switcher and it worked great. I took some quick measurements at the 5V side:

Level
1-20ma
2-340ma
3-760ma
4-1.26A
5-1.83A
6-2.20A
7-3.00A

Now I have to figure out how to stuff it all in there! No pictures yet, when I get it all figured out and I don't hack it up too much, I'll post pictures.

ledaholic

Enlightened
Did some more lookin around while I was deciding how to stuff the batt and converter in there. The 7 position switch selects a particular resistor from a bank of 7 for the different levels. This really leaves a lot of options for different power sources. If you want to use a 12V SLA, just change the resistor values to suit your fancy. I think I have pretty much figured out how I'm gonna do it, just need to pick up a plug/socket from the hobby store.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to make sure I understand this properly. Does this mean there is no DC-DC regulator, and the entire light is controlled only by resistors? If so, as you indicate, it really does sound like there is a range of tweakability.

Last edited:

ledaholic

Enlightened
I would like to make sure I understand this properly. Does this mean there is no DC-DC regulator, and the entire light is controlled only by resistors? If so, as you indicate, it really does sound like there is a range of tweakability.

Before I commit to agreeing with my own statement, I think I need to do a little more checking. Thinking about it, 3A on high and the resistors look to be about 1W, something doesn't add up. I haven't been able to get the top off yet to see if they hid a board in the emitter area. I'll do some more investigating this weekend.

KingSmono

Enlightened
I just ordered one, came to $57.41 after shipping and tax. Can't wait! Now to go pick up some D batteries.............. :D

ledaholic

Enlightened
Ok, I got the top off. The only electronics in this light is the resistor board.

IMG_0675.jpg

The emitters are paralleled but have another resistor in line with each. The value is unknown at this time as they are covered with heatshrink. This is good for those thst want to use a 12V batt.

IMG_0674.jpg

The next three shots are of the three pieces that make up the batt compartment.

This is normally attached to the screw on bottom but I needed the extra clearance so I removed it.
IMG_0678.jpg

This is the internal batt contact section.
IMG_0677.jpg

And this is the the form that keeps the batts all happily in one spot.
IMG_0679.jpg

I think this light has a lot of potential for mods and is pretty good just as it is.

GreySave

Enlightened
OK guys and gals......Been waiting patiently. Just how good is (or isn't) this lantern? How does it compare to a CF tube lantern? At 10 hours on high battery life is not great, but if you only need to use level two or three for plenty of light then battery life should be very good. What say you!

Last edited:

ledaholic

Enlightened
OK guys and gals......Been waiting patiently. Just how good is (or isn't) this lantern? How does it compare to a CF tube lantern? At 10 hours on high battery life is not great, but if you only need to use level two or trhee for plenty of light then battery life should be very good. Wj\hat say you!

It may be a tad brighter than my CFL lantern but the ability to turn it down makes it a better lantern in my book. I used it during a power failure the other day on the next to lowest setting in the house and it was more than enough.

GreySave

Enlightened
Thanx LED'

I saw your comments earlier as well as Andiron's video review of the two LED version. Either one looks like a good deal. Like others I yearn for a warm LED version, but at this price......

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK guys and gals......Been waiting patiently. Just how good is (or isn't) this lantern? How does it compare to a CF tube lantern? At 10 hours on high battery life is not great, but if you only need to use level two or three for plenty of light then battery life should be very good. What say you!

Sorry, I haven't gotten around to making a video review just yet, but I promise I will.
This is the best lantern I've ever personally seen. 10 hours is pretty darn good, considering how much light is produced on high!

Thanx LED'

I saw your comments earlier as well as Andiron's video review of the two LED version. Either one looks like a good deal. Like others I yearn for a warm LED version, but at this price......

I'll put up another review comparing the 2x LED version to this 4x LED version later this week. Both of them are priced well enough, but the 2x LED version can be a GREAT deal, if you have a coupon to use at Lowe's. I would recommend the 2x version from Lowe's if you have the $10 off coupon from a competitor to use at Lowe's. This deal can be found over on Slickdeals, and will make the 2x version $30+tax.

I've honestly never been a fan of warm LED tint. The tint on my 2x version is slightly blue (only when compared to something else), while the tint of my 4x version is white as snow! Both of them look great by themselves, but the 4x version looks better when compared.

GreySave

Enlightened
Thanx for the update and info on the tints. I am really on the fence. I love the output, but hate to lay out the cash and then have a warm tint turn up. I was also thinking about the 2 LED version which can also be had for about $37 total from Amazon, but I would have been disappointed if there was visible blue in it. I'm not a white wall hunter, but the blue does bother me.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you! Very nice lantern "shootout." Man, that thing is bright. How is the rotary switch? Are there firm detents between each stage, or, is it a smooth-turning dial? It was hard to tell in the video, but which is whiter, which is bluer?