Comments from non-flashoholics that really annoy you.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday I took a walk in the woods but I had to abandon the excursion, my heart occasionally complains, I'm still not perfectly healed.
I preferred not to risk and I went back, it was almost dark and I met a group of people, father and mother equipped with professional backpacks and 3 or 4 small children of approximate 4/7 years.
They asked me for information on where to reach a certain place in the woods, I give them the directions but I advise them that they would arrive there in the deep darkness and then they would have to go back.
They asked me if in my opinion they would be able to make the whole return journey without problems and without risk ..
I answer that it is not so problematic .. "but you have a flashlight, right?" they * very surprised * tell me: "no, but we have cell phones"
I didn't say anything and went away .. a family with children walking in the woods (which they didn't know) with the twilight and it is only halfway through the path ..
Probably they had very expensive latest version phones (as expensive as their beautiful backpacks)
When I saw those backpacks I assumed that they were expert hikers and that there would certainly be a light in there, but apparently it wasn't.

LTBL777

Newly Enlightened
Really annoy me? About my flashlights? Absolutely nothing. People get offended way to easy nowadays.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try not to let people annoy me but, they always seam to find a way lol...

When it comes to flashlights though I don't get many comments honestly.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

LED Monkey

Enlightened
I had a little head start with questions like we get about flashlights. I have a high end airgun hobby and someone would ask from time to time " how much does that airgun cost?" Me $1400.00 bucks, them "you can get a real gun for that much money":shakehead

Falcon9h

Newly Enlightened
Yes, this makes people mad, they find it absurd that you always have a light on you but when they see two flashlights they look at you like an alien.

Wait'll you mention modding. Then people look at me like I have three heads! I'm too old and cranky to worry what others think anyway. 🔦

Dr. Spaceman

Newly Enlightened
I'm just getting into flashlight nerddom but I've been a collector of pocket knives and watches for a few years, so these all sound very familiar!

eugenechia1989

Newly Enlightened
Luckily for me, where I work, everyone's carrying flashlights. But I get a little bit annoyed when price is discussed because I didn't buy mine because it's cheap, rather I paid more for the assurance of reliability and true stated output.

I don't get annoyed by the questions. However, some unenlightened persons get annoyed by my response to their question "Where can I buy one like that?" My response is "You can't." Then I try to explain my Surefire 9P with Oveready Zero Rez switch, yellow rubber switch cover, Cryos finned head, Sportac triple 219 drop-in...

Falcon9h

Newly Enlightened
I don't get annoyed by the questions. However, some unenlightened persons get annoyed by my response to their question "Where can I buy one like that?" My response is "You can't." Then I try to explain my Surefire 9P with Oveready Zero Rez switch, yellow rubber switch cover, Cryos finned head, Sportac triple 219 drop-in...

Well, with my Emisar addiction I just say that there's two places on the entire planet to get them (mtn & intloutdoor) and that it's an enthusiast thing. That comes secondary to the reaction I get when I hit turbo. ("holyyy shi....!) I'm rural so the effect is that much better. 😁🔦⚛️

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I tell people who question me nicely or meanly that there is no guarantee that power will stay on and, as was said here before by other posters, there's a 100% chance it will be dark tonight.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comments from non-flashaholics don't bother me in the least. I just smile and bide my time....because sooner or later they realize I was right and to add salt to that wound is that now they depend on me for a basic sensory ability...sight.....without which they are rendered useless.

😁

Poppy

Flashaholic
Is that the flashlight they advertise on TV ?

I've actually been asked that once.
I just smiled and told them no, and of course, followed with a story.
My sister's Ex knew I am into flashlights, and bought one for himself, and one for me @ idk $30 each? They have since come down in price. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he could get one just as good for $10, and that really, it isn't all that good. You see most people who are into flashlights, aren't into zoomies, and that light has a cheap blue tint to the beam. I swapped out the LED in mine to give a more natural white light, and I eventually gave it away. I did appreciate the thought though.

Last week, I went into an honest to goodness mom and pop hardware store to get a few small wire nuts. While there I noticed some cute little small tools in little plastic acrylic boxes. Little key chain multi-tools, and what I thought was a flashlight, so of course I had to pull it out only to discover that it was a lighter. Well... that started a conversation about lights with the lady and gent behind the counter, which led to the multitude and variety of the nebo lights on display.

They got a little education about how one can be mislead by the output claims. No... one will not get the highest rated output, (lets say 140 lumens) for the long run-times of the lowest output (40 hours on low) on 3 AAA cells. I hate that misleading advertising, and most all do it. URGH.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Cool story Poppy.
Glad to hear a mom and pop's still exists your way. You have to be out in the boonies where I live to find one and it's usually an Ace store. But I do find it refreshing to see the things they sell at places like that. I usually end up buying something to help pay the electric bill that month.

I generally don't hear the negative/same comments since most do not know I carry one until they need it. I usually hear a positive comment like "holy cow, that's pretty bright" after using a 500 lumen 1 cell number that disappears in my pants pocket.
I suppose the "You paid how much? " comment is about the only one I hear.

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
Non flashaholic when u are lighting up the situation
:hold out hand let me see that light

Me: ill hold it its fine

At work carrying a olight s1 and s2 and a h2 nova headlamp people always where did u get that?

Tired of explaining that i prefer lights not sold in stores

Also i totally agree about those nebo zoomies had a friend try to give me one the other day to which i politely declined and tryed to explain flashlight collecting to

The look on a non's face if u tell them about the going price for a spy tri V is something else too

Last edited:

metalmaze

Newly Enlightened
"Hey! We're going camping...can we borrow one of your flashlights?". (picks up $400 flashlight, knocks 2 others over at same time)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I use the smartphone light" is a common comment from non- flashoholic. And when I show a quality light which is not a lumen monster I have received the comment: "my flashlight is brighter than that". Yeah, I know they in many cases hardly can determine that in daylight and without a side by side comparison. But it's also irrelevant of course.
Then many use to react about getting a flashlight for more than $100 when they got a $5 light from some supermarket.