• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

[COMPLETED] Malkoff M61N LLLL SST-20 95 CRI Group Buy, round 2!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Re: Malkoff M61N LLLL SST-20 95 CRI Group Buy, round 2!

This is awesome! Maybe it will give gene some ideas about stocking some Different options/outputs?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe. For my part, I would love to be able to just hop on the Malkoff website and purchase exactly the emitter/output combination I want. That said, there is overhead associated with carrying a lot of options (different parts on hand, tracking inventory, keeping the website updated, etc.) whereas these group buys require minimal coordination, have guaranteed minimums, and don't require marketing or updating the website. You dedicated enthusiasts do all the grunt work and he just has to focus on making flashlights.

Besides, I feel like it's just the flashaholics who want the wacky tint/output options. Joe Police Officer just wants to get the brightest, cheapest product that carries the Malkoff name and wading through a bunch of options on the website is just more work for him.

scout24

Flashaholic

Hey! That's 25 Malkoff lumens... :nana: :naughty:

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dang round 2!? Wish I saw sooner. The gen one sst is one of my favorites

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dang round 2!? Wish I saw sooner. The green one sst is one of my favorites

I have an available dropin. I will send you payment PM. If you send payment I'll add you to the list!

edit: your PM box is full. PM me when you clear it and I'll follow up there.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast

But but but, anything less than 500 may as well be a candle, right? :shrug:
You know it's funny, when I got "in" to flashlights (which was not that long ago compared to some here) 300 lumens seems to be about the ceiling for single emitter, single cell lights. That was in the days of the first gen XP-G and Malkoff wasn't over driving them so the M61 wasn't even at 300 lumens. Then when the the 2ng gen XP-G and XM-L came out, it seemed like it opened up 500 lumens which was another ceiling. I haven't really kept track since then but I'm sure 1000 lumens has come and gone.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Geo, the original dotcpf (neutral) 4L group buy had a 5K using an XPG (throttled way, way, way back).
A secondary idea ended up being these SST modules in the 4K flavor. The rest is history.

Kinda like bread mold becoming penecilin?

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's funny the original bulk of interest for any of the LLLLs was the 5000K XP-G2. Those are now the least common LLLL module, only 17 made IIRC. We originally had trouble getting enough 4000Ks to sign up.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

It's funny the original bulk of interest for any of the LLLLs was the 5000K XP-G2. Those are now the least common LLLL module, only 17 made IIRC. We originally had trouble getting enough 4000Ks to sign up.

5000K Xpg is my least favorite, it's in my SF 9P in my Silverado with a traffic wand. :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I went back and read the previous GB and yeah…… I'd forgotten the 4K tint was an offspring. As much as I like the 4k, it's the beam not the color of the beam. The SST puts out light like a light bulb (without the filament shadow). The 4k tint is just a bonus to this user.

PaperKnife

Newly Enlightened

Given the poll I think we are most likely going to go with "4K M61N LLLL v2"

So..... while we wait.
Was there any update on what Gene decided to ultimately engrave on the brass heads?

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Better than also adding XX of XX! Also glad I wont have to go through each of them, before I had to remove the bags from the bubblewrap to view the dropin number and then add a label to it and re-pack. I don't like handling things that aren't mine.

I think if we keep running these SST-20 LLLLs, there's very little point to adding numbers each time especially as there's too many different options and preferences between everyone. Will probably keep the numbered dropins to all of the first-runs of that dropin. Everything else will just get a batch number. Even adding "V2" isn't perfect because will the next be "V3"? Is it really a different "version"?

When I start asking all of these questions, I can't help but realize how pointless it is and how far away from the purpose of these tools that we get. Don't get me wrong, I'm SUPER anal about things going back into their exact packaging, knowing how many of X is out in "the wild", knowing what unit I have specifically is out of a larger group.... I'm all about petty bullshit in that fashion! But then the more practical outdoorsman in me gets upset for corrupting the true intention of this Device.

But yeah, these dropins are really special to me. I am so happy to bring these into the world and glad that they will serve people the world over in dire situations and are being used largely as something that can be relied upon in hard times. My mind always ends up here, and as I'm using my LLLLs I can't help but think "what the heck do those numbers even matter for?"

In the end, nothing, just a silly distraction. :shrug:

ledbetter

Enlightened

Well said! Even without any markings these are special modules. Yet, people ordering a custom, limited production item from a small producer tend to like the markings that validate its uniqueness. I look forward to using it.