Concept Behind Reverse Clicky

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll echo everyone's sentiments for enjoying the reduced risk of accidental activation but agree that instant (and silent) momentary is useful. For me its not really a big deal since if you are in a situation where you will be using the light frequently for a bit of spotting, but don't want to keep it on and waste batteries, you can just partially hold for off and let go for on.

The only thing I really don't like about reverse clickies is that you have to make noise (often quite a loud click) to get light- among non-flashaholics it kind of announces "flashlight geek to the rescue!" ;)

But hey, if it is a more reliable and circuit-friendly switch, I'm all for it.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My new rrAA is has that switch. The best I could do was unscrew the tailcap to try to get some momentary action. That sort of works.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
For most lights I'd prefer a regular clicky with a heavy enough swich that accidental activation was not an issue. I guess I also prefer to be able to momentarily light something up without having to turn it all the way on then click again to turn it off.

However I sure wish HID lights had switches that were not reverse or standard clicky. That is, no momentary on or off whatsoever. That would help avoid to accidental restrikes.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDcandle said:
* some far-fetched reasons why a reverse clickie might be good (I have too much time) :

2) If you are checking out enemy grounds with torch on constant on and you hear someone coming, you can go 'stealth' easily without any sound. If he discovers you and whacks you on the face causing you to drop your torch, you can still find it easily later after beating him up because it will be on.

LMAO!!:laughing::laughing::laughing::ohgeez: Yup, too much time!

That was hilarious!

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Solstice said:
I'll echo everyone's sentiments for enjoying the reduced risk of accidental activation but agree that instant (and silent) momentary is useful. For me its not really a big deal since if you are in a situation where you will be using the light frequently for a bit of spotting, but don't want to keep it on and waste batteries, you can just partially hold for off and let go for on.

The only thing I really don't like about reverse clickies is that you have to make noise (often quite a loud click) to get light- among non-flashaholics it kind of announces "flashlight geek to the rescue!" ;)

But hey, if it is a more reliable and circuit-friendly switch, I'm all for it.

Ditto.

I guess the only one good thing about reverse clickie is probably it might be easier to work with for certain electronics (for ex, the late POP circuits). Personally, so as long the clickie has enough resistance to prevent easy-accidental-on, I am all for it.

The only thing that really, really sucks is the current kroll is it's high reisitance, easy to malfunction and the rubber boot gets out of shape rather quickly(it's a dust magnet!). Give me a new improved sure-fire version, and I will be a happy man. :popcorn:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solid contact, no accidental turn-on--these observations have made me feel better about my reverse-clickie lights. I'll never again regard a reverse clickie as a "poor man's" switch. Thanks!

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
I dunno if it works, I've been meaning to try it for some time, but ViReN suggested copper plating the springs in the kroll switch to get rid of some resistance. IIRC, all you need is a copper solution (I forgot exactly what it was), and a few D cells.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fell asleep in my recliner the other day and woke up to an uncomfortable warmness in my pants.

My Surefire E2e had come on and was cooking my bacon. A reverse clickie wouldnt have done that.

2dim

Enlightened
chevrofreak said:
I fell asleep in my recliner the other day and woke up to an uncomfortable warmness in my pants.

My Surefire E2e had come on and was cooking my bacon...

Image of Homer Simpson awakening springs to mind..."ooo bacon --- yeeow!!!"

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
My Surefire E2e had come on and was cooking my bacon. A reverse clickie wouldnt have done that.

I have had my QIII come on, and try to cook my "bacon". :) It can happen. I was carrying it IWB at the time, but that was one of the reasons I quit carrying it. Maybe I am the only one in the world it happened to, but it happened. :)

Blades

Latest posts