• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Confusion about Olight I3S CU / Ti Gold I3S

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
Finally in my hands....I had to get one of each finish. Mine are HML for the sequence...fine by me but I swear it was LMH or MLH

Last edited:

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
I have a uncoated one on the mail, from hke.
How is the tint?

I'm far from a tint master maybe because I'm color deficient. But after some playtime I noticed the shiny ti finish is more of a yellow tint..warm? With the duller finish slightly white. Very very close and hard to tell apart. Well for my eyes anyway.

Olightworld

Enlightened
Both of the I3S-CU finishes have a cool white beam. Of course LED's have small differences between them but they all have the cool white beam. These lights are currently available on our website and from the majority of our dealers.

mzil

Enlightened
I just got the less expensive one, the i3S-CU EOS Matte Brass, from Going Gear. I can confirm the sequence is H-M-L, not what I was expecting but I can live with it. Also the tail end is not magnetic either as the first post said.

The light is impressively bright but starts to gradually ramp down from full turbo level output within a few seconds, not after 3 minutes as I had expected, at least on the partly depleted battery I used. Not sure about what brand new batteries do. Need to do more testing.

I'm not very sensitive to tint differences but the white almost has an incandescent yellowish tint, if you ask me. These are all just my initial impressions. I need to use it a bit more.

The impressively strong initial brightness is worth the price of admission and should impress other people at "How badass is your keychain light?" contests!

Last edited:

mfloreshostel

Newly Enlightened
Seems like there is a lot of questions about these light so I thought I would chime in. I just received 2 of these i3s-cu lights in both finishes. Right away I noticed the high mode on both is only about as bright as a regular i3s eos. My silver i3e (120 lumens) is brighter than both of them. The tint on both of the i3s-cu's is the same-yellowish, very similar to my i3s eos but slightly more yellow. The beam pattern is close to the i3s eos but with a slightly larger hot spot.
The modes are the same for both i3s-cu's-HML. Like I said above the HIGH mode doesn't seem like it's it 180 lumens. Also, there is no step down after 30 seconds like the olight website says.
The manuals that came with each light says that the high mode is "180~90lumens / 3+42 min" with an alkaline and "180~90 lumens / 3+67 min" with a NiMH. There is no mention of a step down in the instructions like there is on olight's website.I contacted olight about the high mode not being as advertised and they were very quick to issue a replacement which is in the mail. I let you all know if the replacement lights have a high mode closer to 180 lumens.
Other than the high mode being only about as bright as my aluminum i3s eos, both of these lights are sweeeeet. I really like my i3s eos and these lights are identical in the shape to of it. The threads are butter-smooth and there is a really nice weight to them. The clip is the same as my i3s eos- a bit flimsy but usable. I wish it was firmer as these models are significantly heavier than the aluminum i3s eos. They both came with a quality split ring that I didn't feel I had to change.

Last edited:

Berkshirehunter

Newly Enlightened
Seems like there is a lot of questions about these light so I thought I would chime in. I just received 2 of these i3s-cu lights in both finishes. Right away I noticed the high mode on both is only about as bright as a regular i3s eos...
The manuals that came with each light says that the high mode is "180~90lumens / 3+42 min" with an alkaline and "180~90 lumens / 3+67 min" with a NiMH. There is no mention of a step down in the instructions like there is on olight's website.I contacted olight about the high mode not being as advertised and they were very quick to issue a replacement which is in the mail. I let you all know if the replacement lights have a high mode closer to 180 lumens.
Well, that was my gut thought too, just no scientific way to measure. And no step down on mine, something must be wrong. I'll try to contact their customer service later as well. :shrug:

Olightworld

Enlightened
If you have anything in question about your specific light, please send us an email at [email protected] and we can answer it immediately. Thank you!

Well, that was my gut thought too, just no scientific way to measure. And no step down on mine, something must be wrong. I'll try to contact their customer service later as well. :shrug:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to buy these lights and like them.
This video shows what the finishes look like, not for me.
Why oh why couldn't Olight make a true copper and a true titanium version.

mzil

Enlightened
I like that the brass one I bought will not oxidize as quickly as a pure copper one. Mind you it isn't the looks of the patina finish that bothers me but rather the reduced electrical conductivity at the electrical junctures--the spring to the lower body and the body to the head-- which concerns me. Copper is a fantastic conductor, but not once it corrodes to (eventually) green.

turkeylord

Enlightened
Just wish they would go with brass & copper instead of "copper" (brass), "rose gold copper" (brass again???).

Capolini

Banned
I am still waiting for mine. I realize that it is a key chain light, not a high powered modded light like most of mine!

With that said I will still be disappointed if it is the same output[or less] as my i3E[~90 lumens].The Yellowish tint that mfloreshostel described also sounds unappealing!

I do have the Ultratac K18 which is compatible w/ every aaa battery. THE BEST OF course is the 10440 which I use in it. IT CERTAINLY PUTS out the 360 lumens it advertises and has a side switch for the 3 modes!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Trevilux

Enlightened
Great power with NiMH. Step down; at 3 minutes go to around 45% of initial power (I think first is around 160-170 lumens and then go to around 80 lumens), the step down is progressive (the descent takes around 30 seconds).

NeHYuzR.jpg

Trevilux

Enlightened
Graphic for the step down of this.
For reference, 100% value is the highest lumens between 30 and 180 seconds (ANSI NEMA FL-1 standard)
First 4 minutes of the runtime curve that I will make in a few hours

VR3mNcq.jpg

Last edited:

Berkshirehunter

Newly Enlightened
Great power with NiMH. Step down; at 3 minutes go to around 45% of initial power (I think first is around 160-170 lumens and then go to around 80 lumens), the step down is progressive (the descent takes around 30 seconds).
Ah, I had not yet tried Nihms. My impressions were based off the alkaline batteries they came with. Popped in an eneloop and it does seem a little brighter. :oops:
Look forward to your findings. Still hope Olight comes out with this update on a new aluminum version. :thumbsup:

Capolini

Banned
I got mine yesterday. I wish I had measuring equipment!!! I can tell you this.This light is at least 550 lumens w/10440! It is a warmer tint as we know[cooler white always seem brighter]. The Ultratac K18 SS is 360L @ 30 sec and that is a COOL WHITE tint. The i3S CU is soooo much brighter than the K18 SS and also brighter than the i3E on 10440 which is also brighter than my Ultratac K18 SS.

With that said it gets very hot after 1 minute. It caught me off guard. After running it incrementally for 5.5 minutes[INITIAL BURST 3 MINUTES UNTIL STEP DOWN] the battery[Efest IMR 10440] WAS @ 2.37V!

NO DOUBT IN MY MIND I WILL BE USING MY ENLOOPS FOR THIS LIGHT! I AM NOT TAKING A CHANCE AT RUINING IT! IT GETS TOO HOT AND THE BATTERY LIFE IS SO SHORT AT THAT OUTPUT!

It was fun testing it. My modified light brain always wants to test the limits of lights,even the emergency type key chain variety!

I still like my Ultratac K18 SS better,,,,,,,side switch and 10440 compatible with great output and run times!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

_UPz

Enlightened
I got mine a few days ago, impressive output with AAA eneloop. I plan writting a small review with performance charts soon. ;)

Latest posts