Continue to use leaked Eneloop?

longsi0008

Newly Enlightened
I have 8 Eneloop AA to use in EA81 and one of them leaked while charging using BC-1000, it was very hot while the other 3 were cool. I noticed it 15 minutes after the charger showed FULL for all 4. It leaked about 1 droplet of liquid in total.

As its advisable to use them in the same set, do I have to buy a new set of 8AA, or can I just continue to use that particular Eneloop? I tested it using a battery tester, it was showing the same (full) voltage as the other 7 the next day.

The Eneloops are the latest models and I bought them few months ago. Have charged a total of about 20 times.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
do NOT use the bad cell. I repeat do NOT use it! Toss it! Rare to hear something like this about an Eneloop. Could possibly take this issue up with where you bought them and either get a refund or exchange. BC-1000 is a fine charger and doubt it is the charger at fault.

ven

Flashaholic
Its not over critical to use the same set of nimh cells as it is li ion, so i would replace the(soon to hopefully be recycled cell) with another AA loop. Now if the ones (other 7) have been used in anger on 100s of cycles, then better to replace the 8 and use up the remaining 7 in other single AA cell lights...............heck use em in remotes, kids toys or wall clocks if need be.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks ven! Leaking batteries are never a good thing. OP IDK where in the world you are but if you are state side Duracell Ion Cores are very good and had at near any convenience store

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMH will only leak on a charger due to overheating. They don't have much to leak, known as "electrolyte-starved," so even a drop sounds excessive. I'm not certain there is any real concern using a dodgy NiMH. What's the worst that can happen? But Eneloops have such a reputation that OP may want to closely examine the cells to determine if they might be counterfeit. Also, though the La Crosse has a great reputation, it is also more or less ancient tech. I'd dump the charger if it ever happens again, and replace with a newer design.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never use a leaked or vented cell of any kind. Stop reading here if you are smart!

Having said that:
I had a new eneloop PRO "leak" a little It wasn't too bad. The cell expanded and melted the wrapper some. I will take a pic to show when I get some time. I have been using it for over a year in cheap/tossable stuff. Tossable, as in if it gets damaged, I can throw it away, tossable as in if it starts to smoke and flame I can throw it! lol
Meaning, I wouldn't use it in kids toys or a headlamp! lol Last use was in a cheap AA light I put a pill bottle diffuser on to mark our camp site. Left it on for hours. Worked excellent. I could see the orange glow for a good distance.

I would not advise anyone to use a cell that has leaked. FWIW: I cleaned mine with baking soda, tested voltages several times. So far I have recharged it about a dozen times and it is still going strong, infant equal to the 3 others that were new in the pack with it. I charge it outdoors via one of my solar chargers on concrete.

Why did I keep running it?
Cause I am a idiot and curiosity draws me to danger. I am very aware of the dangers. I have vented a few cells. Two were from over discharging, and one from overcharging. The over discharging issues were from me trying to get too much out of a cell. Luckily, nothing too exciting so far.

Additional reading info:
So how did it leak? Overheated while trying to run a hotrod OldLumens Maglite. I lost the original battery holder. So, I made a series 3 AA holder. It was a total rig job that created a total melt down after about 45 seconds of WOT running. My work held up, but not the battery. It was the first battery in line mounted in the holder. So that was a lesson learned. I run the light now on some King Kong 26650's.

So to sum up that long post. Do not use damaged cells unless you are stupid like me!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 8 Eneloop AA to use in EA81 and one of them leaked while charging using BC-1000, it was very hot while the other 3 were cool. I noticed it 15 minutes after the charger showed FULL for all 4. It leaked about 1 droplet of liquid in total.

As its advisable to use them in the same set, do I have to buy a new set of 8AA, or can I just continue to use that particular Eneloop? I tested it using a battery tester, it was showing the same (full) voltage as the other 7 the next day.

The Eneloops are the latest models and I bought them few months ago. Have charged a total of about 20 times.

If it were me, I'd buy 8 new batteries and start from scratch. I'm guessing that the EA81 is 2S4P and I would just want new, matched batteries going forward.

Now, if it's the end of the world and I can only find a single Eneloop and that has to suffice for the zombie scourge, I'd have to run with it.

Chris

Last edited:

longsi0008

Newly Enlightened
Decided to test the leaking Eneloop by using BC-1000 "Refresh" mode. If it leaks again at any point through the 20 cycles of discharge/charge, I will throw the battery away. Otherwise, I would continue to use it.

babyslim

Newly Enlightened
Send it in sealed bag to manufacturer or get seller to take it for exchange

Liber8

Newly Enlightened
do NOT use the bad cell. I repeat do NOT use it! Toss it! Rare to hear something like this about an Eneloop. Could possibly take this issue up with where you bought them and either get a refund or exchange. BC-1000 is a fine charger and doubt it is the charger at fault.

I've never used a Lacrosse. Do they have temperature sensors where they abort the charge if temps get too high? If so maybe they are malfunctioning. Seems strange to get a bad batch of eneloops (unless they are fakes). Hope OP has no more leaking problems.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used a Lacrosse. Do they have temperature sensors where they abort the charge if temps get too high? If so maybe they are malfunctioning. Seems strange to get a bad batch of eneloops (unless they are fakes). Hope OP has no more leaking problems.

My LC BC-700 trips all the time at 700mA (x4) and once in awhile at 500mA.

It works, but it just takes longer.

I won't buy another LC charger for that reason. I've never had my Maha C9000 overheat my cells, where it's had to suspend charging.

Chris

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps sending the sell back to the manufacturer? They may even replace it for you. I agree with the above-no single cell that has bulged, leaked, etc should be used.

longsi0008

Newly Enlightened
Update: I bought them online from Amazon. Been charging and discharging the leaked Eneloop cell continuously for days. No leak at all (again). Was planning to continue to use it when Panasonic emailed me that they are willing to do a 1 for 1 exchange for all my 8 Eneloops. I had previously left a remark on their website.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would just exchange them, especially if the manufacturer is offering to. It gives them data to figure out what happened and in some cases, if it's a bad batch recall the cells. Especially if they are new, get them replaced, makes no sense to continue using a new cell that has gone bad when they are replaceable.