Convoy C8 XPL HI (v2 1a - new firmware)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
MetalSir,
I tried to pull up the graphic for the new firmware but banggood now forces iPads to use the mobile site, so no go. If you have access to a laptop or tabletop try looking at the C8 with the new firmware on their website. There is a clear description of what the firmware offers.

Seems like poor form to declare some other flashlight is better (especially coming from a person who got the flashlight for free to do a review, and may be trying to get more free flashlights) after the purchase has already been made, when it comes to a thread like this.

The throw on your new light may be just the ticket for your needs and terrain. As you wrote, you do have the option to make upgrades. Another upgrade to improve output would be using a switch that will pass more current. And battery choice will affect throw, but all these are increments in improvement and really aren't that dramatic.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
MetalSir,
I tried to pull up the graphic for the new firmware but banggood now forces iPads to use the mobile site, so no go. If you have access to a laptop or tabletop try looking at the C8 with the new firmware on their website. There is a clear description of what the firmware offers.

Easier method: if it's silver, it's got the new firmware. Otherwise, it's the old firmware (IMO, a poor UI).

Seems like poor form to declare some other flashlight is better (especially coming from a person who got the flashlight for free to do a review, and may be trying to get more free flashlights) after the purchase has already been made, when it comes to a thread like this.

I'm not really aiming my post at the OP, more on potentially helping others reading the thread and trying to decide which light to get. If throw/output is the main concern, the Astrolux C8 is better. If you want something that won't get hot or stress the LED, the Convoy C8 is better. The user interface is about the same on both. Convoy definitely wins on tint choice.

And, I'm not going to shill for a $20 light. Whether someone buys the light or not, it makes no difference to me. Nor is there anyway for banggood to track whether or not someone bought the light because I recommended it. The implication I'd sell out for so little, is rather insulting. But if someone wants to pay me $2000 cash, sure I'll sell out then! :santa:

The throw on your new light may be just the ticket for your needs and terrain. As you wrote, you do have the option to make upgrades. Another upgrade to improve output would be using a switch that will pass more current. And battery choice will affect throw, but all these are increments in improvement and really aren't that dramatic.

I don't see why someone would buy the Convoy, just to mod it into the Astrolux. Why bother? If you want the Convoy, just buy it and use it in stock. I used two silver Convoy C8's all summer, and they were perfectly fine without mods.

BTW, I don't see how a better switch would improve the Convoy. It's limited to 2.8A by the 8 7135 chips it uses. A switch or spring bypass might help the Astrolux, since it uses a FET driver to pass much more current, but it would only give about another 200 lumens.

MetalSir

Newly Enlightened
I choosed the convoy because I was on a budget (first) and as professional security guard I use the flashlight at max power for all the patrol, twice per night. This means that I need something that doesn't drain too fast and doesn't get hot with long periods of using (about 20min straight at full power).
This is why I choosed che c8.

Btw I highly appreciate any consideration, I'm here to learn. :)

So anyone can identify the driver above?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I choosed the convoy because I was on a budget (first) and as professional security guard I use the flashlight at max power for all the patrol, twice per night. This means that I need something that doesn't drain too fast and doesn't get hot with long periods of using (about 20min straight at full power).
This is why I choosed che c8.

That's very reasonable. I'll point out (not to try and sell any light... I don't care) that the Astrolux will step-down to the same brightness as the Convoy (or you can start it that way), and it will run without getting hot. However, because it partially uses the FET driver at all high output levels, it will be less efficient than the Convoy. So, if you use your light a long time, you're better off with the Convoy and a good high-capacity 18650 (rather than high drain). Get a 3500mAh Panasonic GA cell, or something like that. You don't need high drain, since you'll only use 2.8 amps.

So anyone can identify the driver above?

You said you verified your light has 12 mode groups? Then, yes, it has the new biscotti firmware. For your use, set it to mode group 12, which is single-mode maximum output. That's the mode I use, and IMO the only reasonable mode for a thrower like this.

MetalSir

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys merry Christmas to everyone!!! :)

I did some patrols with my new convoy and I'm super happy about it. Here 2 pics showing the difference between my old flashlight (on the left) and the new C8 (on the right).
IMG_20171226_050218.jpg" alt="IMG_20171226_050218

IMG_20171226_050331.jpg

Tks again to everyone for helping me. This forum is gold :rock:

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I love that light. IMO, it's the best combination of performance, price, and quality.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good looking comparison between the two, thanks for that. Makes me want a C8 now lol.

Oh and if you bought from the Convoy Store on AliExpress than Simon that you talked to is the owner of Convoy.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
MetalSir,
Thanks so much for reporting back! So many people come here looking for a torch, then maybe say what they ordered but then... gone. It is always great to hear feedback and glad you are enjoying one of the best values for such good performance in a flashlight.

MetalSir

Newly Enlightened
Oh and if you bought from the Convoy Store on AliExpress than Simon that you talked to is the owner of Convoy.
Yes I bought the convoy from Simon. I asked him info's and help with choosing the right product and he was very polite and professional replying very fast to every question. Really outstanding experience as buyer.

MetalSir,
Thanks so much for reporting back! So many people come here looking for a torch, then maybe say what they ordered but then... gone. It is always great to hear feedback and glad you are enjoying one of the best values for such good performance in a flashlight.
Guys, as always I came back with feedback to you. I think that it's the way things should go. You spend your time for telling me things and you do it for free. Stopping by for giving some feedback is absolutely DUE!
Tks a lot again :)