Convoy C8

Tulip bush

Enlightened
Just stumbled across the Convoy C8 in another thread........never heard of it before. I can order it from China to Uk for about £20......

I see they come in either orange peel or smooth.....in the following emitters below ..., I'm after some throw, but with flood and tend to go for neutral over white light.

What emitter and reflector combination below would you advise?

Also how do these hold up to the quality of more well known flashlights like Fenix etc?

Also are these constant light are does their power drop with time and does anybody know if they hold their power in full mode or drop after a few mins due to heat?

Color temperature:
XML U2-1B:6500~7000k,white light
XML T6-4C:4300~4500k,white light,but Amber Shift
XML2 U2-1A:cool temperature is the same as XML U2-1B,but XM-L2 U2-1A is more brighter.
XML2 T6-4C:4300~4500k,white light is the same as XML T6-4C,but XM-L2 T6-4C is more brighter.

(
XML U2-1B OP,XML T6-4C OP,XML2 U2-1A OP,XML2 T6-4C OP,XML2 T6-4C SMO,XML2 U2-1A SMO)

thanks

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a great light. Wont say it's fenix quality. But the gap in quality is getting smaller, and smaller between a good budget light and a good qualitylight. Some years ago i only bought expensive lights from good brands. But this year, i have only bought budget lights. And are happy with all of them. The budget stuff is getting really good. Not all, but some budget lights can be compared with way more expensive lights. Imo the c8 is one of the budget lights that punches way above it's price tag.
If you are after the most throw, go for the xp-l hi version with smooth reflector. All of them still got plenty of flood. The flood (spill) is the light that dont hit the reflector, so you get that anyway nomatter what led or reflector is used. Orange peel will give a little extra, because some of the light that hit the reflector will be sent in a random direction.

Have changed the driver and led in mine. astrolux x6 driver and a neutral xp-l hi led in smooth reflector.
23_zps6zdcbigi.jpg

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is a strong plus of Convoys -- their quality hosts. If you don't like something in its internals you just do it yourself without any regret of voiding guaranteed coverage. It is not like tampering with a $200 flashlight :)

Last edited:

Tulip bush

Enlightened
Thanks for both of your replies...sound great, especially if I want to learn how to swap bits about.

So if I was to get one from the list of emitter options listed which should I go for ( I would pick orange peel as stated if I decided to go with spill). I don't think the emitter you listed is on there...is this a drop in? Do prefer neutral, but OK with white as long as it's not blue tint.

This one.....XML2 T6-4C:4300~4500k? Also is power constant? And does it hold its high and medium or have to drop due to heat?

thanks

Last edited:

Lexel

Enlightened
IMG_8640.jpg
There is a new version with better driver UI and AR glass with XPL HI V2-1A

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The xp-l hi led is found stock in some new versions of the c8. Not allowed to link directly to seller. So just google "convoy c8 xp-l hi" and you will find it (got mine from banggood). Mine was nice and white tinted, not blue. I swapped the led out to get a 4500k neutral with a tiny hint of rose/red in the tint. Perfect tint just the way i like it :) And the driver i put into this thing gives around 6A so needed a copper led star to cope with the extra heat.
I see the the stock c8 with xp-l hi got some more tints to choose from now. When i bought mine there was only one tint. The xp-l hi is the newest led, and its basicly a dedomed led from the factory. It will give a big boost to the throw/reach :)

The newest version of the c8 wont have a pill, but the led is mounted directly to the head for better heatsinking. this vid about swapping led and driver , shows how the new version is put together quite well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hin_ed9aTic

Last edited:

Tulip bush

Enlightened
Great......checked out banggood......I have to choose either

• Design U4-7A Design U6-3A Design V2-1A

No idea what this means.....any ideas?

Think it only comes in smooth on there.

thanks

Last edited:

Lexel

Enlightened
U4, U6 and V2 are luminous flux bins
V2 has the most lumens

1A, 3A and 7A are color temperature bins
the higher the more it is warm white

the newest version you find in Ali Express Store from Simon who owns convoy

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great......checked out banggood......I have to choose either

• Design U4-7A Design U6-3A Design V2-1A

No idea what this means.....any ideas?

Look down in the specifications table. You will see cool, daylight and warm assigned to the Design designations (at least on the clear Convoy C8 webpage). The U6-3A is a delight to use, though some will prefer warm, or the pedal-to-the-metal crowd will get cool. Very nice to offer choices.

Think it only comes in smooth on there.

This is a thrower type light that is very compact and requires a smooth reflector for optimum throw. The smaller head (smaller than a dedicated thrower) does give good spill though. The smooth reflector is very nicely made, one opinion. The glass looks good.

thanks

Tulip bush

Enlightened
Thanks Kitrobasin, only just noticed the pics etc lower down the page.....many thanks for the details.

Just noticed it asks if you want ar-coated glass, it's cost 1 dollar more,,, any idea what the ar coated glass is?

Although the options are now.....T4-7A, T5-5B, T6-3B, T6-4C, U2-1A, which would be a neutral? 3b or 5b?

thanks

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
The xp-l hi led is found stock in some new versions of the c8. Not allowed to link directly to seller. So just google "convoy c8 xp-l hi" and you will find it (got mine from banggood). Mine was nice and white tinted, not blue. I swapped the led out to get a 4500k neutral with a tiny hint of rose/red in the tint. Perfect tint just the way i like it :) And the driver i put into this thing gives around 6A so needed a copper led star to cope with the extra heat.
I see the the stock c8 with xp-l hi got some more tints to choose from now. When i bought mine there was only one tint. The xp-l hi is the newest led, and its basicly a dedomed led from the factory. It will give a big boost to the throw/reach :)

The newest version of the c8 wont have a pill, but the led is mounted directly to the head for better heatsinking. this vid about swapping led and driver , shows how the new version is put together quite well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hin_ed9aTic

FYI Jorn,
When you go back from moonlight, it goes to max & then to voltage indicator(not strobe as mentioned in your video) it gives you the voltage as 1-4 flashes for 1-4 volts then a brief flash(the "dot")then 10ths of a volt-very useful. Thanks for a great video showing how to do the swap! I know it was videos like this that first gave me the courage to try my own mods, and I appreciate the time you took to make it.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one reason Convoy has eluded me thus far: so many options. I was hoping Richard at mtnelectronics would be able to help me sort things out, but he is so busy and stock has been a challenge.

Here is the webpage for the Convoy I bought:

http://www.banggood.com/Convoy-Clear-C8-XP-L-HI-7135x6-New-Firmware-LED-Flashlight-p-1089132.html

The user interface on this unit offers quite a lot. The other UI's are not optimal for me. You will decide for yourself.

AR coated glass, if good quality, is definitely worth it because less light is reflected back, more goes out the lens to the target. It is surprising how much light is lost with a reflector and glass lens. A good reflector and glass are vital.

Tulip bush

Enlightened
U4, U6 and V2 are luminous flux bins
V2 has the most lumens

1A, 3A and 7A are color temperature bins
the higher the more it is warm white

the newest version you find in Ali Express Store from Simon who owns convoy

thank you.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI Jorn,
When you go back from moonlight, it goes to max & then to voltage indicator(not strobe as mentioned in your video) it gives you the voltage as 1-4 flashes for 1-4 volts then a brief flash(the "dot")then 10ths of a volt-very useful. Thanks for a great video showing how to do the swap! I know it was videos like this that first gave me the courage to try my own mods, and I appreciate the time you took to make it.
Oh, it's not my video. Just one i found where we can see the new heatsinking where the led is screwed directly down to the head with 2 screws vs the old screw in pill. I got the same mod, so sorry for that misunderstanding. The retaining ring was not hard to unscrew. (The guy in the video said he used a hour and ruined some tools in the effort) Use the right tool and it unscrews in seconds :) Modding this light with new driver and new led on copper takes minutes. If we don't count the minutes it takes for the soldering iron to heat up :) This light is easy to work with. And not too big to fit a jacket pocket. I love this little, medium sized, lightcannon :)

Lexel

Enlightened
The newer Convoys got copper MCPCB but not direct thermal path, for normal currents its quite good

animation-iloveimg-compressed.gif

Lexel

Enlightened
Seems in convoys Ali Express shop they are DTP, but other shops not yet
mine 2 months old has no dtp

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
DTP stands for direct thermal path. It is a more efficient way to remove heat from the LED.