Cool, cheap gadget

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Update) Cool, cheap gadget

Saw this at a gas station thought it would be useful. it has a reel out cable like some key ring's and a belt clip, but small and not silver and real big:

what it is:
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

what it does:
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
What I will use it for:
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I don't were a belt except with stage clothes or going out, and in summer, shorts and those thin lounge kick around pant's so this is good for me. Especially for 2 buck's. VDG

Last edited:

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Be careful that it doesn't break and you loose (or at least DING) a nice HDS or Arc. I wear one of those badge yo-yo's for work everyday (not unlike a cow), and the line breaks all the time. Let's see, the line in mine seems to be made of some waxy string. Is yours the same, or made from something better, like nylon? Edit: oh, I see the word "cable," which sounds substantially more substantial than string.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Galiphrey said:
Be careful that it doesn't break and you loose (or at least DING) a nice HDS or Arc. I wear one of those badge yo-yo's for work everyday (not unlike a cow), and the line breaks all the time. Let's see, the line in mine seems to be made of some waxy string. Is yours the same, or made from something better, like nylon? Edit: oh, I see the word "cable," which sounds substantially more substantial than string.

good point, although I obsessively check pocket's and my pouch to make sure I still have all secure after the velcro somehow came undone and i dropped a 6 hour old KL-1/vital gear FB1 setup!(my first good LED light)
The cable is dark grey, looks and feels alot like control cable they used to use on F1 cars right before they went to fly by wire electronic's.
Plus i will most likely use it only for home ground and sound checks etc.
But for two bucks I don't expect it to last real long, I bet the spring will go before the cable! VDG

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Look up gear keepers on the WWW, REI & such...there are some real quality items out there that I would feel fairly comfortable hanging items on.

I think it falls into that you get what you pay for category, keeping in mind I've no idea as to the quality of the one you're showing there.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
Look up gear keepers on the WWW, REI & such...there are some real quality items out there that I would feel fairly comfortable hanging items on.

I think it falls into that you get what you pay for category, keeping in mind I've no idea as to the quality of the one you're showing there.

it will be more of an experiment in EDCing a ARC AAA most likely, if it turns out to be useful, I will look into other's, provided they are not the typical
large silver ones with garish logo's 4-5 of which are available in hardware stores here in town. VDG

83Venture

Enlightened
My badge Yo-Yo is made of string and has a Photon on it. If I remember correctly the ones that you can get in some sporting goods sections are made with a metal cable.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE:

This thing has been working out great. I use it everyday, all day with a peak mattie ultra po lug 1xLED,(and a jil lite when my HDS was getting a tune-up) and it's been totally reliable. Weird since it cost nothing (2$) i saw the same thing at a hardware a store for 10$ so I feel pretty smug about my discovery.

I went ahead and got 3 more in case it breaks after this
brag post :laughing: VDG

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I have 2 of those, 1 black and 1 white. I only use 1 of them on my accesscard for work, I don't really trust them for other stuff. The cord is usually a braided cover over a single strand nylon core.

I got another one with my TADgear fast pack alpha, a much better quality. Steel cable and all. It was made by civilian labs. This little device I do trust :)

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
MayCooper said:
I have 2 of those, 1 black and 1 white. I only use 1 of them on my accesscard for work, I don't really trust them for other stuff. The cord is usually a braided cover over a single strand nylon core.

I got another one with my TADgear fast pack alpha, a much better quality. Steel cable and all. It was made by civilian labs. This little device I do trust :)

I will have to check that out. But see post #3,, it's not cord or wax string, it's seems to be KEV cable. VDG

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll echo the "be careful" comments. I use these for my work access card and I usually go through one or two per year. The cable snaps at the tether point.

Paul

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the badge reel holders as a safety rather than a primary holder and it works well- just inspect the cord every now and then to check if it's fraying. Usually happens at the end, so it's easy to just cut off the frayed piece and reattach it. A bit shorter but just as good.
I like to tether everything to keep things from dropping out of my pocket and getting lost-

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok Bro's I get the idea about higher end gear keeper's. Check out the thread title "Cool cheap gadget". I got it at a tobbaco road gas station
for two bucks, I have seen the same for 10 or more bucks @ hardware store's. I meant the thread to show cheap leash that seems to work well uses a KEV cable not string, for a small light, if it breaks out two bucks,,, period.
I am well aware of quality gear, go look at my EDC
bag at EDC forum: http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=2545.0
I don't carry or use "junk", lot's of mil spec, F1 spec, top flight machined metals, carbon fiber, Ti etc. My working tools are roughly $3500 each, when most are happy with $500-$1000 guitar's/amps etc. I carry HDS, surfire, peak, and ARC light's. Savvy? VDG

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
GearKeepers are very high quality. I use one on a Benchmade Rescue Hook -- I use it for opening sacks and stuff as well as just having it handy. Retracts perfectly and I never worry about losing the hook, and mine is several years old and sees virtually daily use. I have cheaper ones, but I trust the GearKeeper.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are y'all sure there isn't a CPF certified, titainium cased multi colored tritium vialed 200 lb bridge cabled model you want to shill me? :grin2: :rolleyes: VDG