Cordless power tools

captianworkbench

Newly Enlightened
Orbital, I would love to hear details regarding that Metabo/HPT compressor. How do you like it? What kind of tasks do you put it to use on?

captianworkbench

Newly Enlightened
But if money was no object, I would have gone with the M18 Milwaukee. Their lineup seems much better than Dewalt's, but as a hobby user, I could not justify the extra cost.

Paladin, I agree. I am not a contractor and I don't abuse my tools. I have had very few tools that have broken or failed rather than just worn out. I cannot justify the extra cost for the Milwaukee logo and prestige.

Personally, I am a fan of the Metabo/HPT tools. I also have many pieces of the Black and Decker 20V yard tools. They have served well also. The pole saw did fail on me, but I was asking too much of it. The little chainsaw is kind of comical but also very handy.

-CWB

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Techtronic Industries owns Milwaukee tools. A Hong Kong based multinational company. Manufactured globally in China, Germany, Mexico, the United States , and Vietnam
Thanks for the heads-up.
Thankfully, I'm a home DIYer at best.
I'll stick with my Ryobi tools.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Used this 80 volts blower to blow off lawn it's powerful and quiet also have there weed eater

Attachments

• PXL_20231207_154646064.jpg
    PXL_20231207_154646064.jpg
    999.2 KB · Views: 43

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orbital, I would love to hear details regarding that Metabo/HPT compressor. How do you like it? What kind of tasks do you put it to use on?
+

Years ago when I was in the market for a cordless drill, Hitachi Japan was the only manufacturer that had anything brushless.
Yes, I looked at DeWalt, Milwaukee etc..
So, I got the Hitachi which was against the norm,, or the brand loyal types.
Most people don't know Metabo is the U.S. specific division of Hitachi

I like my tools & use them, have a few different tool brands, all actually mentioned above ^ , but I'm just not a brand loyal type person.
For the usage on the compressor, I'm not finishing nailing w/ it, but anything else that'll need compressed air, and maybe some creative stuff down the road,
in a really convenient setup... utilizing 36V (y)

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads-up.
Thankfully, I'm a home DIYer at best.
I'll stick with my Ryobi tools.

Ryobi tools (and AEG) are manufactured by Techtronic Industries (TTI) under license, whilst TTI purchased Milwulkee Tools in 2005.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
My Home Depot has blister 2 packs of 18v 4ah batteries for $79.99 I bought one pack as a gift, and I don't need more but may cave...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My Home Depot has blister 2 packs of 18v 4ah batteries for $79.99 I bought one pack as a gift, and I don't need more but may cave...
That's a good price. I'm assuming some sort of Holiday special deal.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is Capitalism, smaller companies being purchased OR subjected to hostile takeover, mind you having the unwavering backing of a one party International Government would give a business a definite advantage.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ryobi? Do they have the remaining charge meter? I bought some that weren't the one plus and they are fine, they just don't let my leaf blower go into turbo mode like the one plus kind. Life span is good and they power other (non turbo capable) tools just dandy.

I have plenty but will share the good news with others.

scout24

Flashaholic
BYk- Plus 1 for what Poppy said. The only ones I've seen with no meter are the 1.5 and 2ah packs. The $79.00 deal is on the regular, not "high performance" packs. Picture in next post...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Those are good batteries. At least I've had no issues, other's results may vary. One year HD had those @ 2 for $59 (ie a twin pack) for Fathers Day. I stocked up.

I've gone the 40volt route so those spares are pricey. I bought the big hedge clippers because it costed less for that thing with a battery than a spare battery for my trimmer. I was glad I did the next time I trimmed my hedges too. Some branches had grown beyond the capability of the 18 volt trimmers.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I wanted to go up to 40 volts, and decided on the greenworks brand. I bought a 12 inch trimmer and blower bundle with a charger and 2 Ah battery. $138. So the blower was just about free.

There was no advantage to staying with the ryobi brand, since I didn't have any 40 V batteries.

I'm very happy that I made the switch from a corded trimmer for the convenience. I think I'll put a spare battery on my wish list. Typically I'll do the back yard, top off the battery and then the front yard. Another 2Ah would suffice, but I'll probably get a 4Ah, just because.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone run a 18v grass/edge trimmer?

I've been tempted as I can use the battery system I already have but don't expect much performance/runtime....