Corona Virus... the second wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
We have about 10% of our "dummy" firefighters here testing positive for C19 they said on the news. I'm sure that they wore masks and distanced whenever possible and still 90 of them got it.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have about 10% of our "dummy" firefighters here testing positive for C19 they said on the news. I'm sure that they wore masks and distanced whenever possible and still 90 of them got it.
Doesn't mean much. They could have went home, wife or kids could have been infected. Fireman goes back to work carrying the infection and infected the crew. So many possibilities. Also wearing a mask doesn't guarantee they won't get infected and unless your wearing an n95 mask with face protection, your more likely to get it than those wearing masks that 90% of the population are using right now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't mean much. They could have went home, wife or kids could have been infected. Fireman goes back to work carrying the infection and infected the crew. So many possibilities. Also wearing a mask doesn't guarantee they won't get infected and unless your wearing an n95 mask with face protection, your more likely to get it than those wearing masks that 90% of the population are using right now.

You missed some posts above his. He didn't quote the replied to message

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I agree with you. My post was in response of someone calling Trump a dummy. I personally believe that a lot of people infected are innocent victims of this virus as is a lot of people that are unknowingly infecting others. I also believe what you say about the effectiveness of masks which 90% of the people are wearing. What puts an exclamation point on all of this is the health professionals will likely receive the vaccine long before the rest of us which is a testament of high risk and they have the best masks and everything including superior ventillation and sterilization equipment while we have far inferior protection and constantly are barraged by inferences that the "stuff" we do keeps us safe.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you. My post was in response of someone calling Trump a dummy. I personally believe that a lot of people infected are innocent victims of this virus as is a lot of people that are unknowingly infecting others. I also believe what you say about the effectiveness of masks which 90% of the people are wearing. What puts an exclamation point on all of this is the health professionals will likely receive the vaccine long before the rest of us which is a testament of high risk and they have the best masks and everything including superior ventillation and sterilization equipment while we have far inferior protection and constantly are barraged by inferences that the "stuff" we do keeps us safe.
Ah gotcha gotcha

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

The front line workers also face a much, much higher density of infectious material than the rest of us do. It appears that the amount of virus that you're exposed to has a significant impact on whether you get sick and how badly.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
This x1000% jtr. It's the right thing to do. And our duty is much easier than that of the front line workers who put their lives on the line every day for us.
Also, not protecting yourself and helping slow the spread to the best of your ability is like a slap in the face to those front line workers who already have enough to deal with. If everyone just followed the advice of the experts we would have gotten through this with a lot fewer deaths.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Masks work great when nearly everyone is wearing them. I'm guessing lots of people weren't, hence the infected firefighters. When a large segment of the population chooses to forgo them they still protect the people wearing them, but the overall effect isn't as good. And saying this as someone who does in fact find a mask uncomfortable, I still don't see what's the big deal with wearing one if you're going to be in situations where you're within maybe 10 feet or less of others. You can take it off the rest of the time, although that has the issue of touching your face after you may have touched objects contaminated by the virus. That's why I just leave it on until I get home and wash my hands first.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
3643-A231-3-C6-F-4-B1-A-8263-86-E0874-CD49-B.jpg

From the CDC: Something to consider this holiday season.

turbodog

Flashaholic
One of the takeaways from this graph:

So the people who comment that only the old/sick die... it appears we are on track for an equal chance for everyone?

Poppy

Flashaholic
3643-A231-3-C6-F-4-B1-A-8263-86-E0874-CD49-B.jpg

From the CDC: Something to consider this holiday season.
This shows that TREATMENT is more effective, and that a smaller percentage DIE.
It doesn't report on the percentage of people who have vascular, connective tissue, lung, neurological, and kidney issues, long after they survived by not dying. My niece (an ER nurse) told me last month that a lot of people, young people, are returning with vascular issues, that ultimately require amputation.

However, there is a missing graph that would help to put this into perspective.
The percentage of people who are infected, and the numbers of people who are in the hospital, and how many hospitals have met capacity, and the medical personal shortage, and how many hospitals are at 70% capacity of ICUs treating covid patients, and how many hospitals are on "divert" status (meaning that they can not accept any new patients).

In NJ we went from about 300 new cases a day a month ago, to 4,600 new cases yesterday. So although the death rate percentage has declined a little over the past month, the infection rate has increased 1,533% so the number of deaths will have increased by a similar percent.

If you are going to consider ANYTHING during the holiday season, consider the advice of the medical professionals who rely on the science and the data, when they make recommendations, to skip family gatherings for the Holidays, and stay within your family cocoon.

I'll add, that if you CAN'T do that, then if your climate allows, eat outdoors. If not, then put a large exhaust fan in a window and open windows at the opposite side of the house. So at least you'll have an exchange of air.

Happy Holidays, and good luck.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rapid tests are a joke. I don't even know why they are being used. Huge waste of money time and resources.

Senator Loeffler took two COVID tests on Friday morning. Her rapid test results were negative and she was cleared to attend Friday's events. She was informed later in the evening after public events on Friday that her PCR test came back positive, but she was retested Saturday morning after conferring with medical officials and those results came back inconclusive on Saturday evening," said Lawson.

This is why only the PCR tests should be used. People need to be disciplined enough to isolate themselves until they get results. It sucks missing work but wouldn't you rather know you aren't going to kill a susceptible coworker? Huge failure rate with the rapid tests and a 50/50 chance it gets it right.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
To make a blanket statement about rapid testing being useless is simply inaccurate. They are more useful early in the infection cycle, and like any test, require a valid sample being obtained. Later on, yes, a PCR test is more accurate than a rapid test.

But we get into the problem of a pandemic, that there are not enough resources to go around. Rapid comes back in 15 minutes, PCR requires days. And both are sensitive to a valid sample, collected properly, transported properly, 'run' properly, and so on.

And you're asking all this from a healthcare system that's strained to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.