Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
There'a very little evidence of the virus - alone - being airborne. It certainly is in mucus aerosols, but those are way easier to trap than the virus itself. Larger particles that'll fairly easily get stopped or stuck by a filter. Even a 4 ply home made mask from T-shirt textiles will provide some protection against casual exposure if you jog behind a spreader that sneezes.

If you want to DIY a mask, it's still fairly easy to step up from tshirts or coffee filters. HEPA filters intended for air purifiers or vacuums are good candidates here, even if you buy a filter for an air purifier or vacuum you don't have, just to get the filter. If those are not available, the fabric from the vacuum bag itself will do. I'd take those above a coffee filter, but if I had nothing better, a coffee filter between right woven textiles will do as well.

For any kind of DIY-solution, I don't think the choices in filter material is even the most significant factor, but rather that you get it tight enough to not just drag in unfiltered air around the mask itself. If you're high risk and worried, use masking tape around the mask, to get it tight to your skin. Masking tape can also be used to hold the straps of a DIY or normal mask, to avoid touching your face to adjust.

I've heard that two layers of blue shop towels slipped into an ordinary cotton homemade mask are nearly as effective as a N95 mask - and probably more than sufficient for casual use.

I've pondered cutting up some HEPA filter bags for a vacuum cleaner, but I gather those can have some nasty contents such as fiberglass and other chemicals you'd rather not be breathing.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Under the right conditions it can be airborne. But when it is attached to expulsions from humans it lives a lot easier. Once outside of those "ideal" conditions be it temperature range and humidity it doesn't not survive long at all.

Example, infected person expells drops from a cough onto a frozen surface it dies instantly. Same if you did it on a metal surface in bright sunlight. Trouble is they have not defined the outter edges of ideal conditions. They do know it survives at conditions beyond the limits of the ordinary flu or rhino viruses in terms of temperature and humidity.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought I heard early on this virus does not like heat. So lets hope hot Summer months will slow it down, and pray shorty after a vaccination to lessen the next outbreak

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't trust anything that has been put out on this virus. When the CDC has it in their guidelines to report deaths "based on a hunch that the patient has Coronavirus" I stop trusting anything they say about it. Keep yourself clean to keep others safe. That's about all you can do with this mess.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Los Angeles just extended the stay at home order until May 15. This doesn't look like this is going to end anytime soon. Stock up. This is going to take awhile.

Poppy

Flashaholic
KGary,
I know that you meant to be funny, and it made me chuckle.

My mom cooked every night, typically meat and potatoes meals. Meals for 7 people. Occasionally, she'd get an easy night and we'd get sliced roast beef from the corner deli, and make hot roast beef sandwiches with gravy. Rarely she'd make Chinese food from a can.

I couldn't recall the name so I had to google it.

La Choy Chow mein!

It really was slop in a can that she would pour over rice. We'd top it with Chow Mein noodles and soy sauce. (so as not to slam the company, that was back in the 1960's and the product on the current label looks better than the stuff I ate.)

As far as I knew... that was Chinese food. Period. I must have been in high school before I found out Chinese food also included, chicken fried rice, beef and broccoli, General Tso's chicken, chicken and Chinese vegetables in peanut sauce.

While googling La Choy, I was presented with ...
A list of American-Chinese foods that you won't actually find in China

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I went to In N Out yesterday afternoon, and there were 35-40 cars in line. Wait was 20 minutes but it didn't matter because there is nothing to do anyway. I got several cheeseburgers all the flavors of the milk shakes and a ton of fries. Finally finished everything by 0300.

That sounds bad, but I get my physical fitness by carrying a big lens like fixer posted a few days back.

turbodog

Flashaholic
For those with spare time on your hands, hahaha, that want a good read, go grab a copy of 'guns, germs, and steel'. Just so happens that I finished the book about a month ago by pure random luck.

TLDR version: Pandemics are the norm, not the exception. Nasty bugs jump species all the time.

Excellent book by the way.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm not fanning the flames of paranoia I hope, but I am concerned when this thing starts impacting the mfg/supply chain for day to day goods (walmart, kroger type stuff).

Would be really good for some randomized testing to take place. Could see just how many recovered and asymptomatic people are out there.

Greta

Flashaholic
"Hope and prayer" ---- Some people believe and have faith in one, the other, or both. And some... neither. In general, none are right or wrong. In general, that's what makes us -ALL- unique and special. It's just the way it is. While proselytizing and political discussions are generally discouraged within the CPF forums, using words like "hope and prayer" are not... never have been. If you find that you are offended by such words used in a general way without the promotion of any kind of agenda or any kind of proselytization, please find the door and firmly shut it behind you on your way out. One thing I will -NOT- tolerate within these forums... and especially in such a trying time for -EVERYONE- here... is bigotry. Keep it to yourself. To put it simply... shut up.

This thread is being very closely followed and monitored by the administrators and moderators of this forum. We don't want to close this thread. It is providing useful information as well as a place where we can find a connection with others in a time when connecting is a challenge. And isolation has taken on a whole new meaning. As a promise, not a warning, anyone trying to deliberately shut down this thread with bigoted posts and intolerance will be removed from the forums... permanently. Honestly, there is no room for any of that in this world right now... much less in these forums... where most come for camaraderie, comfort, and no judgement.

Stay safe and stay healthy, my friends :grouphug:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Would be really good for some randomized testing to take place. Could see just how many recovered and asymptomatic people are out there.
Its coming.
I think they are about to release the 15 minute instant read test in the middle of next week if it isn't already out.
Then each week production of the test will increase.

As more and more people are released from the hospitals, and more and more people have recovered on their own at home, the serum anti-body test (which is already in limited use) will be more and more helpful in replacing sick people with those who (presumably) can't get sick.

We're still in for quit a ride.

Keep your chin up, and your distance.

EDIT:
Today's news:
[FONT=&quot]TRENTON, NJ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- Governor Phil Murphy today announced the acquisition of 15 point-of-care ID NOW testing instruments from the federal government to expand access to COVID-19 testing in New Jersey. The portable, rapid testing machines will be dispersed to health care systems throughout the state, will be able to test for COVID-19 and process specimens in approximately 5-13 minutes.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.