Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Testifyyyyyyyyy KG.

My new Simple hat showed up today. Mrs Fixer set it on the back deck in the sun all afternoon. When I got home from work the packing tape had melted so I opened it up figuring if I go, bury me in my checkered Vans and Simple ball cap.

Last edited:

Taz80

Enlightened
There is a Federal stockpile of medical supplies, and some masks and ventilators have already been shipped.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You just made my point star.
Thank you.

Patrick Henry said in a church near my home "give me liberty or give me death".
Americans won't be corraled……especially by ​decree. Look at New Yorkers right now, even in the eye of the storm. There's lots of scenes of ghost town looking streets but you can bet a Pepsi there's a bunch of parties in that city as I type this.

My doctor says "ya know going to a crowded beach right now" I say "I hear ya doc" and avoid the beach. My governor says "thou shalt not go to Home Depot" ……yeah right.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You just made my point star.
Thank you.

Your point was that if the states had a problem they couldn't solve, the federal government could be called in to save the day - the states have been calling for help, the government has declined. It has been left to the states to deal with using what they have or can buy. Meanwhile other industrialized countries' governments have provided a uniform national response, which has resulted in the flattening of their curves. Our curve will look different because there was a disastrous, fatal lack of leadership from the federal government.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the rub...who gets to decide who's "essential" and who's not? I mean, I've read both stay-at-home orders from MD and VA. They are an interesting read of what businesses are allowed to stay open. You can, for example still go out to a dealership and look at or test drive or buy a vehicle in both states. Is this an "essential" thing to do at this time? Auto dealers are considered "essential" in both MD and VA. You can't go to the beach or state park, but you can go to a car dealership.

Here is Executive order #55 from the VA Governor: https://www.governor.virginia.gov/m...Order-Due-to-Novel-Coronavirus-(COVID-19).pdf

As well as #53 (because 55 refers back to 53): https://www.governor.virginia.gov/m...tions-Due-To-Novel-Coronavirus-(COVID-19).pdf

And here is the Executive order from the MD Governor: https://governor.maryland.gov/wp-co...tV5YYXMXJQtghJ17JvdM9aVQMufspioQMbAym8Yy8GUgY

Is it effective for either governor to issue a stay-at-home order for certain people and then deem others "essentials" and put them in potential harms way by allowing people to go do things like go to a car dealership?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did New York buy those giant naval hospital ships that are on their way to help them out in their time of need? Damn shame those other industrialized countries didn't try to cover this up or hide the amount of dead they had in their streets. I also remember somebody saying our government couldn't/wouldn't be able to build hospitals in days like were built in China for Coronavirus response guess what??? I've never seen somebody root against their country as hard as some of the people in this thread. It's literally sickening.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hospitals built in NYC are repurposed existing structures, they weren't build from the ground up. I'm not aware of anything built from the ground up except for some tents in Central Park. There was talk about converting creedmoor but would be a colossal effort as those structures have been in disrepair for decades.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hospitals built in NYC are repurposed existing structures, they weren't build from the ground up. I'm not aware of anything built from the ground up except for some tents in Central Park. There was talk about converting creedmoor but would be a colossal effort as those structures have been in disrepair for decades.

I bet you they will actually be used to see patients and not sit at half/quarter capacity for weeks while people are dying.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet you they will actually be used to see patients and not sit at half/quarter capacity for weeks while people are dying.

I'd hope so. They're suppose to be used for non covid- 19 patients to free up the hospitals which are way past capacity. The problem now is personal, they are short and need more doctors and nurses.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
How did New York buy those giant naval hospital ships that are on their way to help them out in their time of need? Damn shame those other industrialized countries didn't try to cover this up or hide the amount of dead they had in their streets. I also remember somebody saying our government couldn't/wouldn't be able to build hospitals in days like were built in China for Coronavirus response guess what??? I've never seen somebody root against their country as hard as some of the people in this thread. It's literally sickening.

The USS Comfort has docked in New York and will provide 1,000 beds for non-Coronavirus patients; the other hospitals in NY will now have more Coronavirus patients using only what they currently have.

If I wasn't interested in the welfare of my country I would accuse governors of asking for more ventilators than they actually need, accuse doctors of stealing aid supplies for resale, make up statistics just so people would stop bringing it up, etc.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your point was that if the states had a problem they couldn't solve, the federal government could be called in to save the day - the states have been calling for help, the government has declined. It has been left to the states to deal with using what they have or can buy. Meanwhile other industrialized countries' governments have provided a uniform national response, which has resulted in the flattening of their curves. Our curve will look different because there was a disastrous, fatal lack of leadership from the federal government.

You'd have thought after SARS, H1N1 and Ebola, a comprehensive pandemic plan would have been implemented at the state and federal levels over the last 15 years. On the other hand, no pandemic plan I've seen (and I co-developed SCE's several years ago) includes a risk scenario where the country of origin intentionally conceals the ​contagion's outbreak during the crucial containment period from other nations, thereby enabling world-wide transmission. That unconscionable act resulted in the pandemic bypassing the mitigation/containment phase in the response plans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.