CPF UK - AND NOW THE 2018 PARTY STARTS!

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tofty, I'd really appreciate it if you could. The chuck I have is quite good quality and would be a shame not to use it. I need around 15mm length of M16 with 1mm thread pitch dropping to a shaft I can fit in my drill so anywhere around 12-13mm diameter. If you could fix me up, I'll have your preferred liquid refreshment delivered from Amazon to you. (Or I could just pay you...)

Tofty

Enlightened
The only issue is that I kind of need the chuck itself to match the threads to. With such a fine thread the margin of error is too small to reliably get a fit that's not too loose or won't thread on at all, without test fitting the corresponding mating thread.
Also I'd probably start with some 20mm diameter rod (as that' what I have to hand), which would allow me to put in a shoulder for the back of the chuck to screw onto and I'd like to make sure that it would be suitable for your chuck.

If your happy with that and are passing my way (Farnham area); then you can drop the chuck off and I can get to work.
Or I can pick it up from you. I need an excuse to get the car out.

Let me know what you think in a DM.
Cheers

Tofty

Enlightened
So I had a go at making a Chuck Adapter Spindle for Jay R and thought I'd take some photos to document the process and explain some of the operations if anyone's interested.

I started with some 22mm mild steel hex bar.
Also shown is the mini chuck I will be adapting to fit into a power drill, which uses a standard 13mm chuck.

The band saw was used to cut the bar roughly to length.

The bar was turned to length on the lathe and the two ends were flattened.

One end of the bar was reduced down to a diameter of just under 13mm, to act as a shaft for the drill chuck.
The end of the shaft was chamfered and the shaft was then smoothed, using various grits.

The other end of the bar was reduced down to 16mm, with a chamfer added to the bar end and a land added just before the shoulder.
The land section makes thread cutting easier and safer.
Chamfers were also added to both ends of the hex section.
Thin brass sheet was used to prevent damage occurring to the part's shaft when being gripped by the lathe chuck.

The specific gearing gets setup in the lathe's gearbox for cutting a 1mm pitched thread.
These gears link the chuck with the lead screw, which will drive the cutting tool along the work at a stead rate of 1mm per chuck revolution.

Thread cutting begins, using plenty of cutting fluid and repeated shallow cuts.

Cutting of the threads is complete and the part is now finished.
When coming close to the expected required depth of the threads; the cutting tool was moved away and the small chuck was test fitted.
This was repeated after every subsequent cutting pass until the chuck screwed onto the spindle smoothly.

The whole process probably took around three hours.

(I apologise if the photos aren't showing up. Seems to be a Photobucket issue, which is pretty infuriating since I pay for the damn service)

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
IMG_20200506_222259

Turns out I had that exact letter in Lego! If you don't get it, Google "Elon Musk baby".

:laughing: If nothing else you win the award for the most obscure lego bricks!

Lockdown has me ordering new LEDs for the BLF Q8 (4000k Luxeon V's) and I've picked up the ex-Royal Navy floodlight project again, just need to work out which new reflector and LED combo to use, followed by figuring out how to heatsink the damn thing!

Photo from ebay listing when I bought it in ?2017? as I didn't take a good photo while it was still assembled!:

vd4MINK.jpg
[/IMG]

Stainless ball-joint had gunk and pitting, I removed it from the battery compartment lid and screwed it to a piece of scrap 2x4.

Manky surface before I attacked it with the 'Green Dremel' (Proxxon IBS/E):

EtYhNqj.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice clean surface:
rKrSKAU.jpg
[/IMG]

Some original details, I think a Ledil Angela reflector (120mm dia x 75mm high) will fit:

1BvIdX4.jpg
[/IMG]

xGlgRRJl.png
[/IMG]

Inside the light head, threaded holes are where the original bulb holder once attached:
BNO8K6Vl.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm going to get some aluminium bar and cut/carve to fit around the posts, then shim to get the correct distance for the LED to sit in the reflector, requires roughly 3.5cm of height from the back of the light to the back of the reflector (yet to arrive).

I'm in two minds with this mod, part of me wants to try and make a stupid-bright, reasonably throwy thing, c.2k lumens and lots of throw; the other option is to make something useable for day-to-day mood-lighting in the living room, c.900 lumen at 2700K....

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking good so far. I'd do the lower power version. You get to use it every day, it's a conversation piece and an awful lot less work. If you do need to heat sink it, a copper bar from the back of the led directly to that solid looking lump of reflector casing looks like the way to go.

Last edited:

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Looking good so far. I'd do the lower power version. You get to use it every day, it's a conversation piece and an awful lot less work. If you do need to heat sink it, a copper bar from the back of the led directly to that solid looking lump of reflector casing looks like the way to go.

Yeah, I think the lower output version is the way forward!

I'm going to strip the powdercoat/paint from the inside of the casing and build up the required height using aluminium, yet to figure out the exact details, but I think it should be ok -it's going to require a lot of filing and use of the dremel though!

Going to pull the trigger on:
Ledil Angela reflector (120mm dia x 75mm depth) - £13
Modified COB to Reflector connector gasket thing - c.£4
Luminous devices 3000K to 1800K dimming module - £TBD c.£12
Meanwell driver - £9

Total component cost c.£38, plus a pot for dimming, plus some wire, plus some Aluminium. Not too shabby!

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wasn't I trying to put the bloody thing away? (If you mean the pop up one I borrowed from Remoteneeded).

I'm sad that all our meetings are such a long time ago. We need to work towards having more Torchy-camping-hijinks in the future, once we're less frightened of the viral outbreak!!!!

I guess we could meet up and socially distance, but it's not gonna be as easy to try out each other's torches and knives.

Until we meet again...Stay safe all.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up a Nitecore UM4 charger from Banggood for £15. Bargin I thought even before the 4.8% Quidco cashback. Its going to replace my aged i4 charger. I like the the fact that it runs off USB so easy to charge in the car. The i4 would do car charge as long as I remembered to pack the 12v lighter socket lead for it. Think its going cheap because they just brought out a replacement but there doesn't seem to be a lot extra in the new version I need. Arrived in 8 days. Still on sale as at now if anyone is interested.

Also been watching Sapphire and Steel repeats. Classic!

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crap! The Olight sale was on today and I did the stupidest thing, I remembered. That's another £114 I won't see again.

Still, picked up....
Olive green i3T. aaa light. Nice little lights. Gave Tofty one for making that adaptor for me.
Two of their new penlights. (Looking forward to getting those.)
i1R (just what I need, another little 10180 light but it was free 'cause I shared their ad on Facebook)
S2R II Baton in purple

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the penlight. (Open 2 - what happened to the Open 1?).

Some of the bundles are interesting... Mmmm.

Thanks Jay, I think you may have cost me some spondulucks! Still, Christmas is coming!

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had their first penlight but the batteries went bad and solidified in the tube. Had to chuck it. Tought me to use rechargeable or primary lithiums.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
My goodies arrived. The pen is really well presented in a very nice case with usb lead and spare ink. It also writes really nicely. The purple on the S2R II looks really good. I may have to start looking at some of the other colour lights, they do an orange that would match my car....

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
It comes with a spare but not sure if it is a standard size. I'll pop into town later and see if WHSmith have them. (Update: they didn't.) Rollerball style and its 3 inch long(exactly) and about quarter inch wide.

Last edited:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just read a review that says a "Schmidt CL8126" ​will fit. Not sure if that is the same as a Schmidt 'Mini 8126'. I ordered one from ebay and I'll try it. Apparently Olight will be doing a pack of 3 refills for $10 but no sign of them yet.

Just glued a 6mm trit into the trit slot in the clip.

Last edited: