CR123 Voltages

jack-n-barra

Newly Enlightened
No Takers on this one?

I will explain a little more I have just purchased a 2 X CR123a LED torch and now it will not stay on when I depress the switch and was wondering if the battries could be flat already? The only way I have to test them is a digital multi meter and they both measure 2.79V.
Is this flat or below a limit that will hold the switch on?
thinking.gif

Cheers

Tod

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jack, (err, Tod:)) . Unfortunately, there isn't really any way to estimate primary lithium cell capacity by measuring voltage alone. Unlike Li-Ion cells, the voltage means little, and a cell with a lower voltage could actually have more capacity left in it than one with a higher voltage.

The only way to get any kind of accurate estimate, is to measure the voltage when the cell is under load, such as with a ZTS tester, or similar device.

Dave

Last edited:

jack-n-barra

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Dave, Have got some AW 18650-26 Lion's on the way will wait and see if this makes a difference.
Don't want to go and buy any more CR123a's they are way to expensive here in AUS I hav to pay $20.00 a pair for something that only lasts an hour or so.

Cheers

Tod

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hi Tod,

While there is very little correlation between voltage and remaining capacity on primary CR123s, I'd say that voltages below 2.9V can have some meaning. That meaning is usually dead.

Just as an FYI: You can buy primary CR123s online for under $2 each. (I still think you'll prefer the 18650 cell though).

Eric

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tod,
While there is very little correlation between voltage and remaining capacity on primary CR123s, I'd say that voltages below 2.9V can have some meaning. That meaning is usually dead.

Yeah, I probably should have said that, but I was mainly trying to get across that you can't really tell a whole lot about primary lithium cells by just measuring voltage. 2.79 Volts is for sure in the "dead zone" though for all but possibly single 5mm lights and such.

Dave