Cringe worthy series

Kestrel

Flashaholic
As a counterpart to the other thread in this subforum. ;-)

I recall a TV show back in the late 80's called Supercarrier, that tried to get interest in the popular-at-the-time military action / drama genre.
As a late teen, it was a topic I enjoyed at the time, and I bought in to all the razzle-dazzle show promotion.

Oh my goodness, I could only bear watching one or two episodes - what a stinker. :barf:
Looks like it only lasted eight episodes, for good reason.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Charles Bronson once did a series called Man with a Camera that was pretty cheesy. He was a pro photographer that always ended up dooking it out with crooked folks.
Now there was a lot of things a film photographer might find fascinating, charming or just down right "nuh-uh, they couldn't do that back then"…

Poppy

Flashaholic
BattleStar Galactica

Lorne Greene leads a rag tag fleet of space ships across the Galaxy hiding and running from the Cylons. Man made androids. They are in search of Earth.

Battlestar Galactica is an American science fiction television series created by Glen A. Larson that began the Battlestar Galactica franchise. Starring Lorne Greene, Richard Hatch, and Dirk Benedict, it follows the surviving humans as they flee in Battlestar Galactica and other ships in search for a new home while being pursued by the Cylons. The series ran for the 1978–1979 season before being canceled after 24 episodes.

I think in all that time the Battleship was in only ONE battle. All the rest of the episodes they were scared and running away. I watched some of the episodes. I don't think there were any decent sci fi programs at the time.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Pretty much all of the syndicated TV I watched in my youth - A-Team, Airwolf, Knight Rider, Bonanza, most Star Trek series - I have no desire to revisit.

Although this scene in an A-Team episode was an absolute gem of an Easter egg.

BattleStar Galactica
The 1978-1979 TV series was, well, a creature of the 1970s with its lingering campy hippy cult-y spiritualism, quantum plot devices, and highly episodic production. The abysmal Galactica 1980 series was all this and even worse ... so much worse.

The 2003 reboot miniseries and subsequent 2004-2009 TV series was excellent television in my view: good storytelling involving interesting yet flawed characters progressing over entire seasons.

The comingling miniseries are hit or miss. I enjoyed Razor as a side story to the events of the TV series. The Plan was basically an overlay with considerable material from the TV series ... whose main appeal seemed to be the addition of gratuitous naughty bits. Blood and Chrome was backstory composited together from web shorts.

2010's Caprica went ... in a different direction ... and was cancelled after one season. While it told a coherent story spanning all the episodes of the season I found the pacing agonizingly slow

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out wheel of time on prime video. It's based on possibly the best fantasy book series of all time. And they threw out the story and characters so they could "woke". And I'm not an anti woke warrior. But they just ruined it and it's very cringe

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I stuck with it in order to watch what dirty tricks that Peg Bundy lady would pull next (had the box set). But all in all it was pretty ridiculous. Mayans too.
Yet it seemed like American troglidytes loved it.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Invasion" on Apple TV. What a slow, god awful mess. I got 3 free mos. of Apple TV after buying a new iPhone and wasted a few hours hoping for some alien action but instead got an inane booooring drama.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I remember the first time I saw Saturday Night Live thinking "this aint funny". Same with Seinfeld.
Saturday Night Live is hit or miss depending on the combination of talent, writers, and current events / pop culture material at the time.

Seinfeld - like pretty much all sitcoms - didn't work for me.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Well different strokes... but it's widely accepted that Seinfeld was groundbreaking in content and originality and unlike any previous sitcom.
Speaking for myself, I just didn't enjoy it. I am clearly in the minority.