Curious about chargeable flashlights

flphotog

Newly Enlightened
I'm asking just out of curiosity. I seem to be seeing more and more chargeable flashlights and wondering what the lure is for these types of flashlights.
Personally I'd rather just swap out the battery and keep going rather than having to plug in the flashlight to charge.
It makes more sense to me to just wait until I get several batteries that need charging and just charge them all at one time.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I even have three fenix AA batteries that have usb charging ports but I've stopped using them because they were a pain to charge individually, I just started using NIMH batteries in the flashlight I bought them for.

Keitho

Enlightened
I'm with you, rechargeable makes a light less useful to me: heavier, bigger, and less flexibility. But, my impression is that the bulk of the market regards swapping batteries in the same way I regard swapping the empty toilet paper roll for a new one: I know how to do it, but I don't care to do it if I can avoid it. I think there are also people who regard rechargeable lights as higher tech: my great grandparents swapped batteries in their lights, why should I?

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Keitho has it pegged...my non-flashoholic family members are all well-versed in plugging things in to recharge on a daily basis. USB rechargeable flashlights fall right in line with all the other electronics they use. They regard externally charged batts and the accompanying charger as an extra "hassle". However, when I gift any of them a light like this, I only give lights that have removable/replaceable li-ions and include an extra battery (in case they "see the light" and get a decent charger!)

terjee

Enlightened
I agree with... pretty much everything I suppose. :)

Had it not been for Nitecore F1/F2 and similar, I'd probably argue it's nice to have at least one, to be able to charge from power banks and similar though.

For major users like a lot of people here, there's also a bit of a safety aspect to it. You're not just replacing the cell, but you're also able to spot signs of wear and tear, it's a good chance to notice excessive heating when charging externally, rising internal resistance, you'll also rotate your batteries, and so on.

You don't have to move far from the "one light, one battery" before most start preferring external I think.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeable flashlights DO have their advantages. Probably the biggest is convenience. As others have said, there is no need to swap batteries. But there is also no need to have a charger on hand. This can be handy for vehicle use or during other travel situations where you forget/don't want to have to worry about taking a charger. It can also be helpful in situations like backpacking where you don't want the extra weight or bulk of a charger.

However, I feel like rechargeable flashlights are generally a BAD idea if the battery is not user replaceable. If it ISN'T replaceable, then the life of the battery is likely the life of the light itself. Also, you need go recharge every time the battery is dead (since you can't just swap batteries when the battery dies). And finally, you are likely stuck with a cheap battery that is not the best around in terms of capacity or draw, and with no ability to upgrade to the best available. So the way I see things, rechargeable is not necesarily bad - unless you can't swap out the battery yourself.

Last edited:

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
When I am at home they have the batteries taken out and put on a real charger. When I leave the flushing toilet behind for several nights the rechargeables go along. On the lumens I use my two in light rechargeable battery lights will last two nights from sun down to sun up run constantly with a few hours left over. I have two options to charge, the solar panel or a power bank that will charge both more than enough to run them all night every night for two weeks. Pros are no breaking them open to let dirt or moisture in. Another pro is they will run primaries but they tend to fade almost immediately so I prefer the at peak lumens for the mode with the rechargeable batteries.

It depemds on your use of the light really. Lots of brands take forever to charge in the light and some don't crack open to change out cells. So choose wisely. My olights charge fast and completely, so I'm good. If you are just sitting around playing with them around the house I can see why they might be useless to some. Just use a normal light with rechargeables. But when you get away from your typical urban use of lights they have many pros to them. No need to remove, place in a charger, you have to pack or carry in fresh primaries and carry out dead ones then throw your money away when you get home. If all I did was ligh the backyard to let the dog out or played with them at the computer or while watching TV I'd see them as pointless or useless as well.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
For lights that see regular use I prefer to change out the batteries and charge them in a multi-cell charger. That way I can keep going. The only usb rechargeable light I have is used as a work light and is placed on charge when the job is done. I may not use it again for several days or more.

DavisonDave

Newly Enlightened
I have one chargeable light. I swap battlers and don't charge the battery in it. However it's nice to know I always have a charger with me that can charge a 18650.