Custom Bicycles

turbodog

Flashaholic
Built this up in the garage about a month ago.

triple%2Bassembly%2B%287%29.JPG

wGC-88gcwy2g-d33WjbMxiQ1Ym_-dl9XL3mcvasD3aO-OXiG5VHQRxW5NFpL5ZyrpvhI8U1d=w1048-h1633

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Built this up in the garage about a month ago.

we discussed the triple recently, didn't we? I know that I've seen this picture before. I'm just waiting for the pic of you and the two kids out on a ride! Should be an adventure!

I'm also waiting to see the triple mounted on a trunk rack on the red sports car. :)

turbodog

Flashaholic
we discussed the triple recently, didn't we? I know that I've seen this picture before. I'm just waiting for the pic of you and the two kids out on a ride! Should be an adventure!

I'm also waiting to see the triple mounted on a trunk rack on the red sports car. :)

Had to make a carry adapter for the truck. A bed extender.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
It is finished (or at least minimally rideable):

IMG_20150430_222624434_zpsjbwq9lfb.jpg

In the ... studio

IMG_20150430_221751136_zpsgsnvvzyv.jpg

Under moonlight ... or more like an array of 3-up Rebels that have been going for many years on inadequate heatsinking

The details for those that are interested:
  • Niner EMD 9 frame (XL)
  • Rockshox Reba air fork
  • Mavic CrossOne wheels
  • Shimano Deore crankset (converted to 1x w/ Raceface 32T NarrowWide chainring)
  • Shimano Saint pedals
  • Shimano Deore brakes
  • Shimano Deore XT shifter
  • Shimano Deore XT 10-speed deraileur
  • Easton stem and bars
  • Lizard Skin grips
  • Niner seat post
  • Generic Bontrager saddle

Save for a screw-up on seating the headset bearing race to the fork (recovered from that easily enough) it went together fairly painlessly. Especially since I've never built a bike before.

Front brake was acting up on the stand, but a few laps around the neighborhood loosened it up to the point that I just need to true up the rotor a little. Rear brake didn't come with a mounting bracket, but the local bike shop was able to supply me with a new one for far less than the 'zon. The interrupted shifter cable jacket was annoying to deal with (the 2013 year seems to be the last one that Niner did that - everything afterwards has zip-tie mounts for continuous jacket end-to-end), but not terribly difficult either. Deraileur was amazingly easy to tune with a little tweaking of the barrel nut at the shifter once I got good tension on the cable. Converting to the RaceFace chainring took some special hardware (shorter nuts and bolts) that was pretty cheap.

After riding on a heavy mountain bike with a cheap coil spring fork (likely not intended for someone of my mass), I find this thing to be almost alarmingly light. I suspect it tips the scales at ~25 lbs (dry) while my old Trek is ~45 lbs (wet). The air fork - which I aired up to ~180PSI days ago and haven't tuned - almost invites the rider to hit obstacles while the old coil spring fork was mostly there in case you couldn't avoid obstacles. Shifting is smooth and the gear range exceeds all that I've ever used offroad by a good margin.

Needs some adjusting, still. Brake cables are too long - thus will need to be trimmed and the whole system bled. Air fork need some tuning - probably need to add some air since I'm near the upper end of the weight scale. Might need to remove some links from the chain. Saddle is nothing to write home about - unless it's to complain about your backside. Stem might get replaced at some point with something more upright. I also see a Garmin mount in the future. Might get some fatter tires since I'm got the margin front and back.

Ah, but this is CPF - what about lighting? I don't know. My skill level is not high enough to be barreling down trails at reckless speed during the day just yet, so night rides aren't in the cards at this point.

Yeah, bikes. Not the cheapest hobby. Now to go prove N+1 and scam a decent commuter frame...

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice looking bike! I have no familiarity with MTBs, but it looks good. The "1 x" gearing is intriguing.. certainly will simplify shifting as long as the chain doesn't jump off the chainring. The "clutched" rear derailleurs and narrow-wide chainrings are clever fixes.

The change from a 45 pound bike to a 25 pound bike is big! I've got a couple of commuting bikes that are about 50 pounds loaded, and it's always fun to switch to my "go fast" bikes that are around 22 pounds or so. Huge difference!

BrianMc

Enlightened
My hand built (to my size specification) 34 year old frame updated to 3 x 10 (Campy) with cable rerouting to support index shifting and it is the light platform seen in this forum in other threads:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is your Mercian, isn't it?
I love the classy British bikes & frames! I've got a couple of shiny vintage Raleighs and even a Hetchins with curvy stays and outrageous lugs. Very fun.
Mercian's use of the barber pole stripe on the seat tube has always been a cool/fun detail too....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kurtsj00/6898679467

BrianMc

Enlightened
Yes Steve, it is the same Mercian. The Duchess. I added a frame button for a frame pump, top tube cable stops, down tube lever bosses converted to index cable stop/adjusters, under BB cable guides under chain stay derailleur cable stop, rear rack mounts, and three water bottle bosses (at Yellow Jersey.org). I removed the front derailleur cable guide on the BB shell (before repainting):

Had it powder coated a metallic British Racing Green (Black, metallic Green,and Clear coats) with Gold Lug lining, seen best in this shot as sunlight sets it off:

That original Flamboyant Gold Metallic was worn clear through in many spots and it was exceedingly hard to match. So the custom bike is again customized.

New Mercian Decals. Campagnolo Centaur 10 Speed Hubs, Velocity Deep V rims, I have a 53-42-30 Campagnolo Centaur triple that was mounted but I am not as powerful as I once was, so it currently has a Sugino 48-36-24 mounted, Campagnolo Centaur Long cage triple RD and FD, Nitto stem and Randoneur bars, Campagnolo Veloce Brake/Shifters to get the alloy levers that match the rest of the bike, Tanaka Brass fenders, Brooks Professional Saddle, Shimano PD 520 clipless pedals. The VR Post, Shimano 600 Headset, and Universal SP brakes are from the original build. It finally got the parts it deserved. It replaced this model Raleigh:

http://oldtenspeedgallery.com/owner-submitted/bill-ps-1972-raleigh-super-course/#.VUblCc6r9bw

(same year and color, though I had upgraded some parts: Campy Record Hubs, Fiamme Rims, Regina Freewheel, black anodized aluminum Sugino 145 mm crankset (the early 70's Campy bolt diameter), black anodized Suntour Cyclone Derailleurs). Embedded into the side of a Chrysler Newport at about 20 mph. Completely different "customization" one might quip.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mercian came out very nicely! British Racing Green is a good homage to the British roots, plus.. it doesn't show dirt much, which is handy for a bike that gets used a lot. :)

The assortment of braze-on fittings is also very handy for a bike fitted with racks, cages, etc. Fewer things to rub on the paint, hold moisture and promote corrosion, etc. A bit cleaner looking too. I had a touring/commuting/travel frame made in 2000, and the multiple braze-on's made like a lot easier, especially for racks.

The Brooks leather and brass fenders look good too. I've been using Brooks saddles since... I first bought a Brooks Pro back in 1976. Wonderful things!

candlelight29

Newly Enlightened
I have attended two of the NAHBS shows.. North American Handbuilt Bicycle Show. The last was in Louisville in March.

Pics from the 2009 NAHBS in Indianapolis:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kurtsj00/sets/72157614498379909/

Pics from the 2015 NAHBS in Louisville:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kurtsj00/sets/72157650816499570/

There's about 700 photos in each group, so plan accordingly. :)

There are a number of custom frame builders that have Flickr pages. Sooo much amazing metal work and shiny paint jobs!
Thank you very much!

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
So start a new thread to continue your current discussion, if you want. Or... I'm not going to get all anal about this thread veering off if you want to just continue here... ;)

Would you guys (and gals?) like to have a Bicycle forum that is "all things bicycle" instead of just a bicycle lights forum? I can make it happen... I have the power... :grin2:
Yes, A forum like that would be great. I'm personally into recumbents but enjoy all things bicycle.

Last edited: