• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Custom Surefire® Upgrades: McClicky Switches & Tailstanding Shrouds

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Custom Surefire Upgrades: McClicky Switches

Can I ask why you went with Brass over Aluminum?

Mac

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

:)
We couldn't find any Alunminum.

shrug.gif
OK really I don't know why. I do like brass.

Last edited:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Im interested, but unsure. I tried the netkidz kits and did not really like them because of the extended switch travel and over all feel, they are good switches otherwise. How does the feel of the Mcclicky compare to the Surefire Z59?

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Im interested, but unsure. I tried the netkidz kits and did not really like them because of the extended switch travel and over all feel, they are good switches otherwise. How does the feel of the Mcclicky compare to the Surefire Z59?

I think the McClicky is smoother. The Z59 and Netkids are fairly close to the same feel in my opinion.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are correct Sgt., the McClicky does have a shorter travel.

Dutch

Enlightened

:takeit:
CPF: Dutch
#1 - Z41 McClicky switch kit - $20
CONUS shipping 1st class - $4
total $24.00

Lemme know when you want PP instant transfer...

Thanks!
Dutch

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

The upside is the McClicky has a very short, light travel. The downside is that the McClicky has a very short, light travel.

I've had a McClicky turn on and latch on while the light was in a jacket pocket. Twice. IMO, it is a very sensitive switch. It takes very little travel and very little pressure to engage momentary-on. Although the required travel is somewhat more for constant-on, the force required to click the switch is still quite light.

The switch in the first version of FiveMega's 1x26500, 2x26500, and 3x26500 hosts has a comparably short travel and light touch for momentary-on. However, my perception is that the travel and force for constant-on are both greater than for the McClicky.

My SureFire Z48 and Z49 both have much longer travel and much heavier force needed to engage constant-on. I don't mind the longer travel, but the heavier force is a little too much IMO, especially since the SF tailcap has that shroud. It would be nice, IMO, if the switch force could be intermediate between the McClicky and the Z48/Z49.

Last edited:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can I ask why you went with Brass over Alunminum?

Mac

I designed the part in brass to reduce friction against the body.
This helps to ensure the retaining ring will stay in place after many many tailcap removals and replacements.

i.e., the body will not unscrew the retaining ring over time

These McClicky switch kits have the nicest feel of any forward clicky I have tried.
Nice short travel, good feedback, perfect spring pressure.

These Z41 mods are also very usable with thick gloves on. Z59 can be tough to fully depress.

I have done a lot of testing with these parts and we have a nice product for you guys here.

Last edited:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

The upside is the McClicky has a very short, light travel. The downside is that the McClicky has a very short, light travel.

I've had a McClicky turn on and latch on while the light was in a jacket pocket. Twice. IMO, it is a very sensitive switch. It takes very little travel and very little pressure to engage momentary-on. Although the required travel is a somewhat more for constant-on, the force required to click the switch is still quite light.

The switch in the first version of FiveMega's 1x26500, 2x26500, and 3x26500 hosts has a comparably short travel and light touch for momentary-on. However, my perception is that the travel and force for constant-on are both greater than for the McClicky.

My SureFire Z48 and Z49 both have much longer travel and much heavier force needed to engage constant-on. I don't mind the longer travel, but the heavier force is a little too much IMO, especially since the SF tailcap has that shroud. It would be nice, IMO, if the switch force could be intermediate between the McClicky and the Z48/Z49.

A agree with you for the most part on all of this.

We chose a new switch boot to go with these kits.
The new boot is just the right height to help the switch stay off when you want it off. the walls of the boot add a little to the spring pressure of the switch.

Of course, satisfaction is guaranteed, as with all of our stuff.
:)

Last edited:

Lumilo

Newly Enlightened

Will the Clicky Kits work with a Surefire M3 Tailcap too?:confused:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Can I ask why you went with Brass over Alunminum?

The key design difference between the OEM twisty and this clicky adaptation is the method of attachment inside the tailcap. While the aluminum twisty plug is held in with a rivet, our switch holder screws in from the inside. As Moddoo describes, as the tailcap is opened and closed (to lock out the switch and change batteries), the lip of the body drags against the face of the brass ring. This torque, repeated a thousand times, could unscrew the ring. Brass' natural lubrication properties minimizes this drag, reducing the chance of unseating of the ring during use.

Im interested, but unsure. I tried the netkidz kits and did not really like them because of the extended switch travel and over all feel, they are good switches otherwise.

PM sent

You are correct Sgt., the McClicky does have a shorter travel.

In use, it feels like the difference between desktop keyboards (long throw) and laptop keyboards (short throw). Momentary on is very easy, while a full click requires an indented press (ie, fingertip) or a solid push onto a flat surface.

We could develop a tailcap shroud that would minimize accidental activation, without needing to lock out the cap.

I'll take one kit for my C2 twisty. Assuming it's somewhat reasonable to "DIY".

We are developing a second, easier method to remove the rivet and will document both methods for ease of installation.

Will the Clicky Kits work with a Surefire M3 Tailcap too? :confused:

We've not yet tested all possible options, but they should be compatible with the following models:

6P / 9P / C2 / C3 / Z2 / Z3 / G2 / G3 / M2 / M3 / M3T / M4

Last edited:

tundratrader

Enlightened

#02 - Z41 McClicky switch kit - $20 coming soon
#1 - Z41-HA host - gray/2 - $18 coming soon
All US (50 states) - USPS Priority box w/confirmation, $7 per order (tracking available with insurance)

Total 45.00
Paypal sent
from
Zach Brown

ledcarry

Enlightened

:takeit:
CPF: ledcarry
#09 - Z41 McClicky switch kit - $20 coming soon
#10 - Z41 McClicky switch kit - $20 coming soon

1st Class envelope w/confirmation, $4 per order (tracking available with insurance)
Shipping insurance, $3 per order (not responsible for loss/damage without it)
Total: $47.00

PayPal payment made.

Thanks,

JM

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

There will be plenty of upgrade kits to go around, but tailcap hosts are in limited supply.

If you want to reserve a tailcap host in your preferred finish/color, consider making a deposit.

Extra note:
We've still not tried the original twisty design, but we did get our hands on the intermediate design.
These are identified by a dimple in the knurling:

SF_Z41_BK.jpg

They have the particular challenge that the inside threading does not go all the way down into the barrel.
Testing shows our brass ring to be thick enough to fully compress the switch and boot, while still 'in the the threads'.

These are now officially supported.

Last edited:

Teego

Newly Enlightened

I'll take:

#04 - Z41 McClicky switch kit - $20 coming soon (Is an orange boot a possibility?)
#01 - Z41-HA host - black/2 - $18 coming soon

Last edited:

copperfox

Enlightened

I'll take:

CPF: copperfox
#5 - Z41 McClicky switch kit - $20
#2 - Z41-HA host - black/2 - $18 (matte finish)
CONUS 1st Class envelope w/confirmation, $4
Total: $42.00

Paypal sent.

P.S. Look at that! Same price as MSRP for Surefire Z59 (if the Z59 is shipped for free). The benefit is this one has a slightly more protruding boot and is hard anodized.

Last edited: