D-Mini with over 12 000 Lux in throw

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought some six mode CreeQ2-bin drop-in modules called X-Alpha from here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161471

The led assembly pill from these modules fit in my D-Mini when the reflector is taken off the module. It seems to have the right diameter and threads. The positive spring is too long so if I would be using this setup over time I would have to trim or desolder the positive spring from the led pill. The modules use the same UI as seen in the Jetbeam C-LE, PWM with less than 100 Hz on low and medium levels.

Initial throw on the highest setting @ 1 meter is 10100 Lux. That soon stabilizes to around 9300-9500 Lux. It does get hot quick so I think it's best to use the higest setting for short bursts only, longer periods on high is likely to damage the Cree. But, what a burst!!!
Throw with stock driver in my D-mini is 7400-7600 Lux on LiIon.
I also think that installing the higher powered drivers from Kaidomain or other sources in the D-Mini led pill could be a useful and cheap solution for those that crave more throw. The pcb diameter on my D-Mini is 18 mm.

Stefan

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: D-Mini with 10 000 Lux in throw

Stefan,

Very interesting but what do you call "short bursts"? We are talking minutes or just seconds? :candle:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Depends on how long you want the led to last I guess. Since the D-Mini gets pretty hot with the stock driver and the thermal path is pretty good.... I haven't tested this for more than 3-4 minutes with the led pill from the dropin module and that seems to be ok when I hold it in my hand. The body gets warm but not hot. I don't think I would have it on high for ten minutes laying by itself on a table. Now I really want to change the driver in the stock led pill!

LowTEC

Enlightened

can you post a few photos of the module and with it installed? thanx

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: D-Mini with over 10 000 Lux in throw.

Assembled module from above, nice reflector.
Xlamp3.jpg

Complete module.
Xlamp2.jpg

Disassembled module, led pill from the module screwed down into the D-Mini body tube.
Xlamp1.jpg

Edit.....
I tried the other module in my D-Mini. That one delivers 12 620 Lux in throw for the first minute, then it drops to 10 720 Lux at 3 minutes, 10 110 Lux at 5 minutes and 9250 Lux after 7 minutes. Scale on the luxmeter is X10.
luxc.jpg

Stefan

Last edited:

Pathlight

Newly Enlightened
Re: D-Mini with over 10 000 Lux in throw

Thanks for your post. I might try this myself. I take it that you're using the
stock reflector? also does the 6 modes still work? nice improvement. Cheers.

Gordon

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

I finally found a heatsink solution for my D-Mini with the 6-mode Q2 bin CREE dropin module led pill.
d-mini6a.jpg

I took the reflector that came with the dropin and sawed off the flared part. After that I removed precisely enough aluminium from it so that the D-Minis reflector could reach down into the hollowed out dropin reflector to get a correct focus. All this relies on the fact that the hollowed out dropin reflector have contact with the D-Mini reflector to lead away heat. And trust me, the dropin module gets hot at ~1300 mA to the led. The heatsink path is good since the head gets warm fairly quick. The CREE is overdriven and it will take some punishment, but I believe it will last for some time. The highest setting is for emergencies. My D-Mini with three levels of output and strobe is awesome! Modding the stock led pill with a Flupic would also do the trick.
d-mini6b.jpg

There is some additional work with this mod, I removed the spring from the dropin pill to reduce the pressure from the LiIon cell, it's easy to desolder. I also cut off two turns on the tail cap spring for the same reason. Just to be sure I also fixed the dropin pill with thermal epoxy from inside the battery tube, since my dropin pill only screws down into the battery tube about four full threads.
Stefan

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting find! Do you have a pic of everything assembled in place?

Thanks!
AlexGT

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's it. I screw the hollowed out reflector part from the dropin down on the remaining threads that are exposed (outside the battery tube) on the pill when it's in focus. The hard part is the machining of the dropin reflector. My favourite light for now. It doesn't outthrow the MRV but it is brighter if I need it to be.

It would be this then....
d-mini6c.jpg

Stefan

Last edited: