Dad hacked up my Christmas gift to him opening it

jimbo231

Enlightened
I thought i'd buy my dad a quality edc aaa light to carry on his keychain to replace his cheap dollar store light. I got him a Fenix E05 2014 ed in blue for Christmas. Tonight I come home and see it and the packaging on the table with not 1 but 2 long gouges in the light. He is a very impatiant person but when i seen my gift to him all hacked up like it was a 1.99 light I was pretty mad. I guess he doesnt realize stabbing knives though a package can damage the contents.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Since the E05 is a very affordable flashlight and the condition of his flashlight is important to you, maybe get him a replacement and keep the gouged one for yourself... :cool:

Borad

Enlightened
What's good to use for that, appliance enamel maybe? A lot of peoples keychain lights are scratched up.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
I got my dad a fenix e20 for Christmas, though before Christmas I managed to drop it on the road.

It had been ran over by multiple cars and been rained on all night, and it still works. I felt bad giving him a dinged up flashlight as a gift, but I figured that since it still works it has proven to be tough and he doesnt have to worry about scratching the anodizing.

rockminer

Newly Enlightened
Did he say anything about it bothering him ? If not, it was his present and I wouldn't worry about it. If he did, then replace the light with a new one.

ven

Flashaholic
My guess would have been frustration with the pack as some can be a right PITA !!! at the best of times.........

Still i would be a little mad , good job it was not a sat nav or alike, he would have had a cracked screen :laughing:

Stainless steel and an easy open pack, dad proof it!!!

Poppy

Flashaholic
I thought i'd buy my dad a quality edc aaa light to carry on his keychain to replace his cheap dollar store light. I got him a Fenix E05 2014 ed in blue for Christmas. Tonight I come home and see it and the packaging on the table with not 1 but 2 long gouges in the light. He is a very impatiant person but when i seen my gift to him all hacked up like it was a 1.99 light I was pretty mad. I guess he doesnt realize stabbing knives though a package can damage the contents.
Maybe its time for a sober moment when you sit down and have a talk with him, about some of his actions. Explain how damaging your gift to him, makes you feel disrespected, and that hurts you.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? It's an E05, it now has a story and some personality! Place it on his key ring and take a look at it in a year.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? It's an E05, it now has a story and some personality! Place it on his key ring and take a look at it in a year.

This. If it's really going to be carried on a keychain, this is just the first of many character marks.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Excellent points Poppy, RWT and Cland.

Sometimes the kids have to be the grownup because the grown ups are being kids.

Simply put...at 51 I know I'm not 12 any longer. But at times I still have the mindset of a 12 year old.
Example: when I was 12 I liked chocolate pudding, motorcycle racing and the curves of a female.
At 51 I still do. I still want to go sidewalk surfing on my skateboard like when I was 12...not a good idea but hopefully you get the point.
Us 'grown ups' are still kids but have gotten older.

At 39 I looked my pop square in the eye and said "dad I'm grown now...please understand that." Meanwhile all my friends dads still talked to their kids like they were still 12. They still do.

You can look at it like this...it's just a flashlight. That's probably your pop's perspective.
Yet if you can somehow manage to show your pop that to you it was (insert your dads favorite toys)...maybe he'll understand and yalls discussion won't turn into an episode of Jerry Springer.

But you have to start any conversation with adult like confidence and if he blows you off, drop it and buy him a fruit cake next year.

If all goes well you will obtain a new friend who until now you only thought of as "dad". So something that goes way beyond a flashlight may result.

Last edited:

Borad

Enlightened
I wouldn't be offended by a non-flashaholic thinking of a little flashlight as a cheap tool that can be manhandled, and those packages are hard to open. They make special cutters to open them. If all my father had was scissors, I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't open it at all.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Nicks/marks/dings/whatever is going to happen to a keychain light anyways so he is simply a little ahead of the curve. Just roll with it IMHO.

Stream

Enlightened
I agree with those who say no biggie since a keychain light is bound to get scratched and dinged anyway. On the other hand, I would be a little worried about his general practice of just hacking packages open with a knife. Could have damaged something like an expensive phone, tablet or sat nav. Does he at least remove the wrapping to see what it is before he tears into it with his knife like a caveman? I'm just imagining opening presents with him on Christmas Day "oh, thanks for the shirt..." lol.

Last edited:

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Well you know what they say about buying a new car, the first thing you do is bring it home and put a nice ding in the door with a ball peen hammer. That way you don't have to worry about getting that first door ding, it's already there!! ! ! :party:

I'm thinking the same thing applies with flashlights. :confused:

Stream

Enlightened
Well you know what they say about buying a new car, the first thing you do is bring it home and put a nice ding in the door with a ball peen hammer.

Who the heck says that? Or better yet: who the heck does that? lol I've only ever heard not having to worry so much after the first ding.

ven

Flashaholic
:laughing: thats a new one to me!!

Best tell vinh to get the hammer out for his vet!! :laughing:

I will tell you i get *beeped* off with scratches and dents that appear for no reason!!!

I will admit though, a new light is enjoyed more once its been "dinged" for me, just the way i am with a little ocd . Kind of takes any new "ocd" thinking away if makes sense.............But i always look after my lights, be them beaters or not. Work tools of course have more dings than ones i use for general home use /edc .