• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Dear Peak and RMSK. Please update your web sites

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear lots of good things about Peak lights. I don't own one because I don't have 50 hours to invest trying to figure out the web sites. I hear the same comments from many other CPF members. I would think you could sell a lot more lights if you did something with the web site to make it a bit easier to figure things out.

Things I can't figure out:

What models are current?
What is the difference between all these models? I click on "mountain series" and get 12 different models. Then I click Eiger - uhhh 50 different Eiger models?
What do all these options mean? I click Eiger and find no less than 50 models. I see some differences like materal but what are all these?
What about basics like output, beam intensity, etc. Why no ANSI ratings? You could buy a $30 lux meter and at least measure beam intensity to give us an idea.
Are they in stock? Are they out of stock? Are they discoutinued?
I can't even figure out what emitter is in some of these lights.
no mention of tint.
run time?

Overall I find it very frustrating and it has kept me from owning a Peak.

Even the sticky at the top of this forum titled "product lineup" seems to be old and outdated. It does not help at all.

jorgen

Enlightened
This is the addy for current models and orders, if you have not tried it:
http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Peak.html
Place your cursor on the upper left "PEAK LED" and a drop down menu shows the current models and click on the one you want.
A brief description will answer some but not all of your questions. A live support chat option is available as well

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak's website is pretty awful. Bob's (RMSK) has shown definite improvement since the beginning. There are simply so many options it becomes very, very difficult to describe them all. It is what it is and I wouldn't hold your breath on changes. Lots and lots of information here to arm yourself with and you can always chat with Bob.

sassaquin

Enlightened
Even though it has been mentioned a few times already, I have to say that Bob at RMSK is a very nice gentleman who is great to deal with. Always helpful and a "treasure trove" of information of not only Peak lights but flashlights in general.
In the several conversations I've had with Bob, he has always been patient with me and my limited flashlight IQ. Having Bob's assistance has made deciphering and navigating Peak's extensive line-up not that difficult. His website's online chat feature is nice, but I prefer to call him up instead. He may work out of his home, because he has always answered no matter what time I call.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

GrimCreaper

Newly Enlightened
Gotta agree, dealing with bob on the phone is a very nice option considering most dealers only want to deal through email or pm here on the forums (not trying to say its wrong or anything, its definitely more convenient for some and all the ones i dealt with have been nice to deal with in emails/pms). Talking on the phone makes it easier and Bob is very helpful! If you have any questions you should call him up and see what he has. I think the older system seem on Peaks website isnt really used anymore. I didnt ask him, but the levels + brightness might still be around if you need something other than the brightest possible or maybe a floody or throwy reflector/optic. Im leaning towards thinking its gonna be gone if it isnt now with QTC pills being around.

notrefined

Enlightened
correct me if I'm wrong...

The logan models are originally designed as CR123a based lights, which have been expanded to include 17500 sized bodies. The el capitan is designed as a AA based light.

The addition of the 14500 liner for the 17500 body for the logan may make the el cap a little redundant (the total package size is similar), but i still like it :)

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but the ElCap is thinner, shorter, and has a different beam profile.

Paul, you can see the main tube differences in MWClint's sticky. The ElCap is based on the Kilimanjaro, and the Logan is the McKinley.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
correct me if I'm wrong...

The logan models are originally designed as CR123a based lights, which have been expanded to include 17500 sized bodies. The el capitan is designed as a AA based light.

The addition of the 14500 liner for the 17500 body for the logan may make the el cap a little redundant (the total package size is similar), but i still like it :)

The slim body on the El Cap makes the Logan feel fat. For EDC, the El Cap is better. I think the main reason to go to the 17500 is for the runtime.

eala

manoloco

Enlightened
I have a Kili which i guess can be compared to the El Capitan size and shape, and when i carry it i do it in pants pocket; the Logan is as comfortable as the Kili for that kind of carry, but if you have to carry it in a shirt pocket the Kili is more comfortable, specially since my Kili is all HA Al, and the Logan has a SS head, but for shirt pocket carry or keychain i would use a AAA light like the Eiger.

My 17500 QTC Logan is the first light i have that uses this cell and the output on the Logan with that battery is great, the runtime has been great too, but i love to play with my lights apart from using them for their intended purpose from time to time, and playing with the light really takes down cells, fast; the 17500 is perfect for my use and with the Logan i have the versatility of being able to use any AA type out there.

another plus is that with the momentary i get a better grip.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, yes, of course: The Logan is fatter.
That leaves me with the question, "Why might someone prefer the El Capitan over of the AA Volcan?" They're the same dimensions and nearly the same weight, but the AA Volcan is listed as 2500 footcandles vs the El Cap's 1850. Do they use different beam profiles?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, yes, of course: The Logan is fatter.
That leaves me with the question, "Why might someone prefer the El Capitan over of the AA Volcan?" They're the same dimensions and nearly the same weight, but the AA Volcan is listed as 2500 footcandles vs the El Cap's 1850. Do they use different beam profiles?

Yes, the Volcan shares the same optic with the Logan, and the head diameter is the same.

jorgen

Enlightened
I prefer the El Cap for its smoother beam, right angle adapter, and the stainless steel body option.

choombak

Enlightened
Gotta agree, dealing with bob on the phone is a very nice option considering most dealers only want to deal through email or pm here on the forums (not trying to say its wrong or anything, its definitely more convenient for some and all the ones i dealt with have been nice to deal with in emails/pms). Talking on the phone makes it easier and Bob is very helpful! If you have any questions you should call him up and see what he has. I think the older system seem on Peaks website isnt really used anymore. I didnt ask him, but the levels + brightness might still be around if you need something other than the brightest possible or maybe a floody or throwy reflector/optic. Im leaning towards thinking its gonna be gone if it isnt now with QTC pills being around.

+1 on Bob's help - I chat with him when he is online, and get very, very quick answers. For eg., I wanted to know if the Ural head will fit the Pyrenees body, and Bob answered without a moment's hesitation with a yes. Alternately, it could have taken me quiet some time and effort to figure this out. Appreciate all the help Bob, even if you don't ship international. ;-)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I've never understood how the Logan differs from the El Capitan. Anyone?

El Caps originally had their own optic and their own head. This produced a unique beam, with unique throw:

peakprofiles.jpg

Last year, Peak's optic source canceled production on this size. Since then, El Cap heads have the same optic used in the Logan, and Logan size head to go with it. So today, only the difference between an El Cap and a Logan/17500 is the 1.5mm extra radius in the body.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure there is at least one fellow cpf member on here who is a web designer...perhaps help them build a new site in partial exchange for some lights....