Dedicated throwers

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get about the same lux with the SR95UT I tried out.

I tested a Varapower with Factory dedomed SST-90 and copper heatsink some 2yrs ago and it net 2400 real OTF lumens with stock mag head. The fact that Lamdalights can generate up to 1000 more lumens might make it seem like it throws more but that SR90 emitter is freaking awesome at throwing and can keep up in SR95UT variant.

bigC

Well I know what I saw. The UT also had an extremely cool tint which makes everything look dead.
I think the UT is just not worth it. It's too big for what it does. The new modified Thrnite TN-31 does 240k, has a neutral tint, maybe 800-900 otf lumens and is much smaller (and cheaper).

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just sold a SR95UT that measured at 211,000 lux@ 1 meter. (10 meters/back calculation). I sold it at $300, a bargain for the UT.

There might be similar issues as seen in previous SR90, where different users has gotten different SR90 with different performance levels. Would be nice if they measure the lux of each light as QC to reduce variability, but then no one will buy the lower lux units.

The SBT-90 die is awesome, just because a Turbo-charged 4 banger can go as fast a V8, doesn't mean there's no market for a natually aspirated V8. That's what the SBT-90 is vs. de-domed XML IMHO, it'll provide bigger spot. My DIY Elephants with CBT-90 produces pure white tint, the SBT-90 in the SR-95 UT I played with is cooler with a hint of blue. just a hint thou.

Yes, the light is way to big. Still thinking about cutting one down, as the body is fat enough to hold 4x18650 running in 2S2P 7.2V. MY Elephant UT gets up to 15.5Amp, if that goes into the SR95 UT, it should get over 300K because the bigger 4" head on the SR95 UT.

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just sold a SR95UT that measured at 211,000 lux@ 1 meter. (10 meters/back calculation)

There might be similar issues as seen in previous SR90, where different users has gotten different SR90 with different performance levels.
Would be nice if they measure the lux of each light as QC to reduce variability, but then no one will buy the lower lux units.

Ok, now thats a lot. Thats way more though than they spec it at (165,000).

I know of the SR-90s brightness variations. It sad really. It's also interesting that only Olight seems to be having these problems.
The light that I'm talking about performed just as one would expect given the specs.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
the head is too small 2.4", the N-bin is a bin less than P-bin used in SR095 UT, the SST-90 is not Sbt-90, all 3 together, I expect less than 60K lux of throw @ 9 amp

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
In a recent German beamshot comparison my 4000K de-domed VPT was compared to around 20 other powerful lights including the Olight SR-95 UT. Guess what: the VPT smoked the Olight. It throws farther and produces noticeably more lumens. The UT really disappointed me, it hardly does more lumens than some of the harder-driven XM-L based lights.

The distance to the tress was around 60-70m. Unfortunately the white-balance was completely off, my light is not that warm. I think the exposure was 4s. Since somebody always had to hold the light some of the shots are a bit blurry. The laserpointer pointed to the spot, where the hotspot of each light was to be pointed.

The shots can be found here

The VPT specifically is here

The shot of the Olight is here

When you hold your mouse over a picture you can see what light it is. When you have opened one you can right-click on it for higher resolution versions of the same picture.
I wanna know what throws better a de-domed SST-90 or a SBT-90 or are they the same?

Yeah when they came out with the SR95 they made the reflector smaller so the SR-90 still has the biggest/best throwing SST-90 reflector. Idk is the new VPT's bigger?

Fresh Light

Enlightened
VPT2XP-2

After it has almost completely stopped raining I took a some beamshots of this light.

DSCN0700.JPG

DSCN0701.JPG

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those look amazing (although the hotspot seems very small). Don't you have any other lights for comparison shots?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The smaller the die, the easier it is to make it throw, not surprising that the XPG2 VPT looks like quite a thrower.
However, the smaller & smaller spot will make it less & less of an utility in practical situations.
Without comparasions of reference light at same camera setting, it's easy for reader walk away with a wrong idea of what a light really does &
how one would translate "throw" into usefulness.

Example:
XML U2 4.2A in DX head & 3" SMO (Same as VPT2 set-up with an XML but smaller body)

127,000 lux @ 1 meter:
dscf0472dz.jpg

Firefox 1, world's smallest 35W HID
(I didn't measure the lux of this light, but I had two other FF1 later measured 100K & 115K lux respectively)
dscf0474w.jpg

The XML light has higher throw than the small HID, but it lost in this evaluation due to it's limited spot & corona size:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Battle-in-the-woods-XML-King-of-Throw-vs-HIDs

Imagine the XPG2 in the same head & reflector, it'll probably have higher lux than the XML but even smaller spot illumination area coverage.
The same goes to de-dome XML which reduce spot size, smaller area coverage will reduce utility as the spot of XML with dome in a 3" head already looks too small for certain applications.

Last edited:

AutoTech

Enlightened
Anyway, back to my thread... lol, only over a year ago! Not been around much, set myself up with so many lights I needed to step away from the scene for a bit before my postman got fed up with the sight of me!

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
ma sha1,

Awesome pictures.

Here's the stats of the photos if anyone wants to know.

Basic Image Information
Camera:Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR
Lens:5 mm
(Max aperture f/3.2)
Exposure:Manual exposure, 1 sec, f/3.3, ISO 200
Flash:Off, Did not fire
Focus:Auto
Focus point highlight: [ click to hide ]
Date:December 1, 2009 3:54:01AM (timezone not specified)
(2 years, 9 months, 19 days, 6 hours, 20 minutes, 39 seconds ago, assuming image timezone of US Pacific)
File:480 × 640 JPEG
154,184 bytes (0.15 megabytes) Image compression: 83%
10% crop of the 2,048 × 1,536 (3.1 megapixel) original

Anyway, back to my thread... lol, only over a year ago! Not been around much, set myself up with so many lights I needed to step away from the scene for a bit before my postman got fed up with the sight of me!

LOL Welcome back.....what a great thread you have created. Lots of great throwers around to spend your money on.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Those look amazing (although the hotspot seems very small). Don't you have any other lights for comparison shots?
Same light posted on post 1180 but this was right after a rain and still some precipitation in the air with higher humidity. These are fairly accurate to what this light really looked like in those conditions. Compare here to the XML version. The XML I have is more of a NW tint and provides more spill. But this is the best throwing flashlight using a reflector that I have used to date. Ma_sha brings up a good point, best thrower doesn't mean best light. But that's why we all have so many otherwise we'd buy that perfect light and be done. I actually bought the XML version and received the XPG2 for evaluation and to play around with, but I like it so much that I had to buy it as well. They complement each other well in their usefulness. I'll try it again when there is some mist in the air with the aspheric installed instead. There will be a build in October for those looking to get in one made to their liking.
DSCN0680.JPG
DSCN0680.JPG

DSCN0683.JPG
DSCN0683.JPG

DSCN0687.JPG

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMFG, so much info. extracted from my photo that I don't know off.
The date & time was off, I don't even know how to set the date of that camera. No I wasn't out at 4AM doing beam shots, LOL

Thank god that I didn't post iPhone photos, you'd find out where I live :eek:

ma sha1,

Awesome pictures.

Here's the stats of the photos if anyone wants to know.

Basic Image Information
Camera:Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR
Lens:5 mm
(Max aperture f/3.2)
Exposure:Manual exposure, 1 sec, f/3.3, ISO 200
Flash:Off, Did not fire
Focus:Auto
Focus point highlight: [ click to hide ]
Date:December 1, 2009 3:54:01AM (timezone not specified)
(2 years, 9 months, 19 days, 6 hours, 20 minutes, 39 seconds ago, assuming image timezone of US Pacific)
File:480 × 640 JPEG
154,184 bytes (0.15 megabytes) Image compression: 83%
10% crop of the 2,048 × 1,536 (3.1 megapixel) original

Fresh Light

Enlightened
What is the distance on that shot? Looks crazy powerful.

This is from 337' to pole.
Distance.jpg

The only other light that I have that appears to throw this well is your DEFT. I guess the dedomed VPTs I have are 200K lux but they still throw quite a bit of spill. This light runs on 3c NiMH. BigC has the sister to this light that is in the 109LED host like your DEFT and quite the sleeper I would imagine. The one I have is the all out full scale 3cN2d. One thing about the model I have is that the MagLED host permits a bit of focusing to get a tighter beam pattern. I look forward to testing your model when they get done!

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
ma sha1,

That's just a little tool I use to check shutter speeds to see if the photos are say up to par for reality to what you see in person. When you get a laserbeam all the way to the object, more times than not your looking at a photo taken in auto exposure with a longer shutter speed vs a manual shot.

On this one I can't check because of this.

DSCN0701.JPG

But I can almsot guarantee that is a way slower shutter speed than 1 sec.

Basic Image Information
File:
450 × 800 JPEG
34,656 bytes (0.033 megabytes) Image compression: 97%
Color Encoding:
WARNING: No color-space metadata and no embedded color profile: Windows and Mac web browsers treat colors randomly.
Images for the web are most widly viewable when in the sRGB color space and with an embedded color profile. See my Introduction to Digital-Image Color Spaces for more information.

Last edited:

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Heck I can make a Dereelight look like a laserbeam almost in auto exposure with a 2.8 sec shutter. But this is not what you see in person. But it will prove the point. It's probably 350yds to that house.

DSCF2851Small.jpg

Basic Image Information
Camera:
Fujifilm FinePix S8000 fd
Lens:
4.7 mm
(Max aperture f/2.8)
Exposure:
Auto exposure, Landscape, 2.8 sec, f/2.8, ISO 200
Flash:
Off, Did not fire
Date:
February 19, 2012 12:21:21AM (timezone not specified)
(7 months, 1 day, 16 hours, 18 minutes, 4 seconds ago, assuming image timezone of US Pacific)

File:
480 × 640 JPEG
14,411 bytes (0.014 megabytes) Image compression: 98%

Fresh Light

Enlightened
ma sha1,

That's just a little tool I use to check shutter speeds to see if the photos are say up to par for reality to what you see in person. When you get a laserbeam all the way to the object, more times than not your looking at a photo taken in auto exposure with a longer shutter speed vs a manual shot.

On this one I can't check because of this.

DSCN0701.JPG

But I can almsot guarantee that is a way slower shutter speed than 1 sec.

Basic Image Information
File:450 × 800 JPEG
34,656 bytes (0.033 megabytes) Image compression: 97%
Color Encoding:WARNING: No color-space metadata and no embedded color profile: Windows and Mac web browsers treat colors randomly.
Images for the web are most widly viewable when in the sRGB color space and with an embedded color profile. See my Introduction to Digital-Image Color Spaces for more information.

Here is the Exif data
Exif.png

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
That's a point and shoot camera with automatic exposure only.

Exposure
Max Shutter Speed
1/2000 sec
Min Shutter Speed
4 sec
Exposure compensation
±3 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps
Exposure Metering
Center-Weighted, Matrix
Exposure Modes
Automatic, Program
Light Sensitivity
ISO auto (80-1600)
Light Sensitivity Max

So it will overexpose the image typically vs using a manual exposure camera.

Last edited: