Defiant flashlights from Home Depot

SherlockOhms

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a flashlight aficionado/hobbiest/pro, but I've been using LED lights since the proton micro light coin cell flashlight was introduced. I end up buying a new light or two every year to get something newer/better, but I don't usually spend a lot, $5 to $15. I got some small AAA lights from dx.com a few times and some nice bright AA and D cell lights from Woot a year or two ago, some AA maglites on sale from Samsclub, etc.

I happened to go to Home Depot last week and ran across their Defiant flashlights. First, I got the 2 pack of 100 lumen headlamps (1 Cree emitter + 3 5mm LEDs), (never had a headlamp before) and the 2 pack of Cree 100 lumen flashlights (single LED emitter, 3 AAA batteries). Roughly $5 per flashlight. These cheap little flashlights seem to be as bright or brighter than anything else I already have.

Today I was at HD again and spotted the Defiant 550 lumen (3 x C cell) "tactical" flashlight for just under $20. A little over my threshold for flashlight purchases, but I was so impressed by the cheapies that I decided to get one. I think it's great. It will really come in handy the next time there's a power outage, tail-standing it really lights up a room. It's even better for room lighting if I unscrew the reflector head and use it barebulb. I keep turning off the room light just to admire the brightness of this flashlight.

Are these HD Defiant flashlights generally well-regarded? (as they are, not for modding, most threads I found in a forum search were about modding). Does HD carry these year round, I don't remember seeing them before? Or is this a re-branding of some other name? I feel like starting a Defiant fan club.

If I want to get a few more flashlights for Christmas presents are those 2 packs as good as it gets in bang for the buck terms? Or is there something better (standard AA or AAA cells only)?

From the first LED flashlight I ever saw to the current ones, I think they are all just so awesome. I still remember the old days when we were happy to have a junky 2 cell incandescent flashlight around when the power went off (which happened with nearly every big thunderstorm).

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought two of these and I think they are great! Where else will you find a 550 lumen light for under $20.00 at a brick and mortar store? Both of mine have a real nice white tint and are throwers, but also give out a generous amount of spill. I also own a single AA and a double AAA Defiant light, and they are great lights for the money. This 550 lumen model actually appeared on Home Depot's webpage several months ago as an online only item, but then just vanished! For somebody going out to buy a light for the house or the car, you cannot do much better for your money!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at it didn't buy it maybe I should have for $20 since it has a XM-L in it IIRC, I seen it in the black Friday add so I went looking hoping it was a D cell light but it was a C cell.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I went back to Home Depot and bought the Defiant light they still had some and still had them for $20, it seems like a good XM-L 3C cell light and the 550 lumen claim seems accurate. I really went there to pick up a Leatherman Sidekick they had for $20 but it's hard for a flashaholic to turn away from a new unfamiliar light.

The light seems pretty solid and I guess it will run awhile on 3 C cells so I'm going back tomorrow to see if I can still get this deal so I can give a few out as gifts.

Last edited:

Navin_R_Johnson

Newly Enlightened
I noticed those and was curious about them. Have any of you played with it enough or disassembled it enough to comment on the driver and heatsinking? Is it simply 3 cells connected to the LED with a resistor, or is there some sort of electronic regulation? How is the heatsinking? Does the light body warm right up? Are the reflector and lens plastic?

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed those and was curious about them. Have any of you played with it enough or disassembled it enough to comment on the driver and heatsinking? Is it simply 3 cells connected to the LED with a resistor, or is there some sort of electronic regulation? How is the heatsinking? Does the light body warm right up? Are the reflector and lens plastic?

The 550 lumen 3C model comes apart. The back cap, entire head assembly, and the top of the head all unscrew very easily. The LED is easily accessible, but I could not tell you any more about it. The lens looks like plastic, but the reflector feels like metal to me. I could be wrong on the reflector! If I have time later on, I will post some pictures.

Altec

Newly Enlightened
First post. :)

From this thread I went and bought a couple to try. The 550 Tactical, and the smaller 120-ish Lumen silver tactical. The 550 seems great as far as first impressions go. One blemish in the anodizing. Plastic lens, and reflector with a glow in the dark O-ring (Why? I was thinking the lens was green plate glass until I tapped it...). CREE XML, single mode driver (I believe, can't see the driver, just the bottom side of a board), and 3C power. Lens/Reflector is held in by a ring that threads down. Poorly finished, handle with care to avoid getting cut! The head threads onto a mid section that acts like a heatsink. The mid section houses the emitter/driver which is a standalone unit that threads into the heatsink. The switch assembly threads onto the heatsink, and the barrel threads onto the switch followed by the tail cap. All threads are bare, so no "safety-ing" the unit by bumping the tail cap loose.

As for the light. Someone said a good throw with a good bit of spill. I'd say that sums it up well!

Top-Bottom: 3D Maglite, Defiant 550, Defiant Tactical, Joby Blade
IMAG1488.jpg

IMAG1490.jpg

IMAG1491.jpg

houtex

Enlightened
I got mine today at the depot. Just as bright as a solarforce p60 xm-l.

On the way out, a kid working the store says to me, "hey mister, Google 1-8-6-5-0 batteries. There's a way to make them work in that light and you'll never have to pay for batteries again." I said thanks and had to keep going, I was with the wife (we were on a schedule..hers).

Any wayz, just how much input does this take to power up? can it take more?

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine today at the depot. Just as bright as a solarforce p60 xm-l.

On the way out, a kid working the store says to me, "hey mister, Google 1-8-6-5-0 batteries. There's a way to make them work in that light and you'll never have to pay for batteries again." I said thanks and had to keep going, I was with the wife (we were on a schedule..hers).

Any wayz, just how much input does this take to power up? can it take more?

LOL...He knew where to get FREE 18650 batteries?? I guess you could run it on one 18650, but you would need a large adapter. Seems like more trouble than what it is worth. I wish more people on this forum would embrace these lower priced lights like this (I am talking about the 3C 550 lumen model pictured). This is one heck of a light for $19.88! I remember a few years ago when Home Depot had a nice 2D Husky light that got a lot of attention. I still have two of them!

SherlockOhms

Newly Enlightened
LOL...He knew where to get FREE 18650 batteries?? I guess you could run it on one 18650, but you would need a large adapter. Seems like more trouble than what it is worth. I wish more people on this forum would embrace these lower priced lights like this (I am talking about the 3C 550 lumen model pictured). This is one heck of a light for $19.88! I remember a few years ago when Home Depot had a nice 2D Husky light that got a lot of attention. I still have two of them!

There were only a few of the 3 C Defiants left in stock at HD yesterday. The 100 lumen 3 x AA 2 packs were all gone. Unfortunately, these look like they were just seasonal specials that may not be carried all year round.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking one 26650 battery and a couple dummy cells would work pretty well in this light. Don't know where to get dummy C cells though. Might just have to wrap the AA ones with something to make them the right size.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Through a google search, I saw several comments that the Defiant flashlights are re-branded Brinkmann flashlights. While at Home Depot's website, I saw a Defiant model that looks identical to the Brinkmann Armor Max 1xAA flashlight which we have which has been reliable.

The 550 lumen Defiant model being discussed here has some customer reviews at Home Depot's website.

LGT

Enlightened
For $20, I'll take a look. But because I already have lights that do what this one does, I'll gladly give it to a co-worker that just can't spring for flashlights. (two in College)

Altec

Newly Enlightened
I took my 550 out this evening because the ole' lady and I had to walk through a park to get to a party. About perfect for walking, and throwing it down range to see where we are headed.

Taking it apart, it really seems like it would be worth getting one for inexpensive parts if nothing else...

As long as it doesn't burn out in the near future, I'm pleased as punch. And as long as it burns out in the next year, I can warranty it.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one for my dad for xmas. Every year I buy him a 3xD MAg LED, and every year the batteries corrode and the tailcap cements shut!!! I'm hoping this light breaks that cycle.

BarryG

Enlightened
I got one for my dad for xmas. Every year I buy him a 3xD MAg LED, and every year the batteries corrode and the tailcap cements shut!!! I'm hoping this light breaks that cycle.

Use Duracell any they will repair or replace any product that batteries damage. Members have posted that they stand behind the warranty!

Barry

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
Picked one up today. Convinced my work buddy to get one too. This thing actually has a very nice white beam with a pretty tight hotspot. The spill is very usable too. I would say the hotspot is kind of like an ET G25c2, maybe a little tighter. This thing is a decent thrower for an XML $20 light. I might have to go find a couple more.