DEFT-X OMG Strikes Back!!!

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys.

I am in the queue for this little beauty as well. :paypal:

Michael is the GOD of light in my book. :bow:

Afterall, his lights strive to reach the heavens and maybe his new DEFT-X can touch the clouds at least. :wow:

He gives flashaholics a reason to get up in the morning and keep going to work to pay for his creations. :tired:

On the other hand maybe he is the Devil in my Bank Account! :devil:

That parcel from Michael is like the best Christmas present you have ever been given all over again. :party:

Hey Michael my banking details are below, just send me an email when you have drawn on my account to pay for any new lighting creations please. :broke:

Bank - Bank of Australia.

Account Name - Light Addicted.

BSB Number - 123456.

Account Number $1000000.

CHEERS :goodjob:

Last edited:

Devildude

Enlightened
Hi Guys.

I am in the queue for this little beauty as well. :paypal:

Michael is the GOD of light in my book. :bow:

Afterall, his lights strive to reach the heavens and maybe his new DEFT-X can touch the clouds at least. :wow:

He gives flashaholics a reason to get up in the morning and keep going to work to pay for his creations. :tired:

On the other hand maybe he is the Devil in my Bank Account! :devil:

That parcel from Michael is like the best Christmas present you have ever been given all over again. :party:

Hey Michael my banking details are below, just send me an email when you have drawn on my account to pay for any new lighting creations please. :broke:

Bank - Bank of Australia.

Account Name - Light Addicted.

BSB Number - 123456.

Account Number $1000000.

CHEERS :goodjob:
I feel the same way, I can not wait until I get the TN31mb to get an idea of how much more the Deft-X is going to go. I might have to put off some of my other toys for a little while to return my bank account to sanity. On the Bright side I will have plenty of light to keep me company.

Ragnar66

Enlightened
I can't wait......with the tn31s I get quite a few guys that figure its just a flashlight etc. Then they see the beam and first thing is always "what? Let me see that!". Yesterday I lit up an island that we all knew was there and they couldn't believe it.

The DEFT-X is gonna be awesome. I'm gonna have to bring out the binoculars or i'll get this....."You see that thing way out there that you can't see........well......now you know you can't see it"

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Saabluster what a fantastic light monster you have here,I came back to CPF after a long break looking for a thrower to replace my now tired sunlite 8WFP and bumped straight into the deft X.I'm going to log out again otherwise I may be tempted to go harvest some kidneys :crackup:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
@Saabluster what a fantastic light monster you have here,I came back to CPF after a long break looking for a thrower to replace my now tired sunlite 8WFP and bumped straight into the deft X.I'm going to log out again otherwise I may be tempted to go harvest some kidneys :crackup:

FRESH KIDNEYS!!!!! - Get'm Boys!!!!

makapuu

Enlightened

I'm going to sell some blood and plasma. LOL

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
how far to the tree in the first shot, and what is the second shot of and how far......hard to tell.......

About 565 feet in the first picture. The second shot is to the electrical box seen in some of my other beam shots. That one is roughly 525 feet. The pictures really are quite horrible. I zoomed in slightly on the first one and over exposed it slightly. That makes it look like it is really close when in fact it is not. The other shot is slightly underexposed and completely unzoomed. I think I may be going back to my old camera as it seemed far easier to control and be consistent even if it doesn't have the mega zoom that my new one does. Either way the light does roughly 900Kcd so regardless of the shots the light performs incredibly well.

Parker VH

Enlightened
Michael,
Any reports from the CES show as to how the DEFT X release is going?

Last edited by a moderator:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
About 565 feet in the first picture. The second shot is to the electrical box seen in some of my other beam shots. That one is roughly 525 feet. The pictures really are quite horrible. I zoomed in slightly on the first one and over exposed it slightly. That makes it look like it is really close when in fact it is not. The other shot is slightly underexposed and completely unzoomed. I think I may be going back to my old camera as it seemed far easier to control and be consistent even if it doesn't have the mega zoom that my new one does. Either way the light does roughly 900Kcd so regardless of the shots the light performs incredibly well.

Its VERY difficult to get representative pics, especially on long range lights....as the very act of zooming in changes the effective f stop as the focal length increases.

So far, it looks to me as though the best way to get a comparison is to shoot the lights you're comparing all that the same time/night...but shoot the same scene DURING DAYLIGHT as well, and at set distances/zoom/exposure SETS.

So, all the un or less zoomed shots are the same, all the full zoomed shots are the same, etc...even though you CAN'T get all the zoomed and unzoomed shots to be at the same exposure settings.

That way, they are comparable at least, which is the basic objective when doing a comparison set of shots.

From a practical stand point...there is a level of zoom that will seem to be equivalent to what the eye perceives as "normal"...so, that night, for that target...whatever that zoom IS should be included.

A target ~ 1 mile away for example will not have much detail visible in DAYLIGHT let alone moonlight.

:D

The expectations of what a particular light will provide need to be in that context.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael,
Any reports from the CES show as to how the DEFT X release is going?

I haven't talked to them since earlier in the week so I have no idea how it went. No news is good news I guess.:shrug:

BTW for inquiring minds who wanted to know the lens in the DEFT-X is made of glass and is not AR coated. ;)

I pressed send on this message and then realized that I had modified your post Parker instead of replying with a quote. Dang these mod powers. Sorry about that. I left it like is was originally.

CouldUseALight

Newly Enlightened
I really want to buy this light. C'mon CPF, enable me!! :naughty:

I like throwers. But I'm not a SAR guy looking for lost human beings. I put an DX aspheric on my VaraPower just last night and couldn't even use it to get to the mailbox. The spot is 100 yards down the road and I've got my foot in an anthill. :ohgeez:

I really want to buy this light. But I have bad vision and wear glasses and am generally hopeless in terms of superhero capacity....can I justify this light?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I really want to buy this light. C'mon CPF, enable me!! :naughty:

I like throwers. But I'm not a SAR guy looking for lost human beings. I put an DX aspheric on my VaraPower just last night and couldn't even use it to get to the mailbox. The spot is 100 yards down the road and I've got my foot in an anthill. :ohgeez:

I really want to buy this light. But I have bad vision and wear glasses and am generally hopeless in terms of superhero capacity....can I justify this light?

Only if you WANT to have super powers regarding things a mile off in the darkness, etc.

The TN31mb can be throttled down to very low outputs for puttering around at closer ranges, and at least has some corona/spill....but the spot of light at your feet will be VERY small. The DEFT can be set to lower setting too, but, a wee circle of light at your feet (1.4º beam angle) is more in line with a dedicated long range light canon though.

So, if you want a practical light to see what you're doing, throw is not really going to work for you. If you want a practical light to see what they're catching on that night trawler a long way off, or if there's a cliff/grizzly way up ahead on the trail...then throw is the way to go.

Last edited:

CouldUseALight

Newly Enlightened
Only if you WANT to have super powers regarding things a mile off in the darkness, etc.

Want! WANT!! LOL... :huh: This is such a tempting light just for the engineering feat....on cursory research it seems to be the only correct application of Waiven's RLT available! :eek: Waiven should be highlighting this in investor conferences, it's so much better than the apps on their site....!

I want one of these projector-throwers so bad, but I'm always on the move when using a flashlight. How would someone experienced (i.e., a SAR team) use a flashlight like this? In conjunction with other lights? Enable me!! LOL:p

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Want! WANT!! LOL... :huh: This is such a tempting light just for the engineering feat....on cursory research it seems to be the only correct application of Waiven's RLT available! :eek: Waiven should be highlighting this in investor conferences, it's so much better than the apps on their site....!

I want one of these projector-throwers so bad, but I'm always on the move when using a flashlight. How would someone experienced (i.e., a SAR team) use a flashlight like this? In conjunction with other lights? Enable me!! LOL:p

LOL

I'll let you know after I'm done testing it out.