Designing a can light

yorkie_chris

Newly Enlightened
Suppose someone's got to be from there :p

You're welcome to come and have a gander at this light when it's done anyway :)

demonic69

Newly Enlightened
How many Agros did you get Chris? Were they expensive?
I'm only down the road in Barnsley. Currently designing a couple of heads and have just got a small lathe to have a play with :D
You're probably fairly close to RDG tools and Myford then, lucky git, takes me ages to get there!

yorkie_chris

Newly Enlightened
Yeah RDG just down the road.
I'm also project engineer at a company that does lathe tools, chucks, vices, fixturing etc. which is useful.

It was EUR35 for 4 glands from the link above.

Nope never held any meets, though that could be pretty cool.

yorkie_chris

Newly Enlightened
Building one is pretty much instead of buying a commercial can light, don't expect it to outperform the top of range greenforce or whatever. Should be considerably cheaper than the quadrastar and F2 battery with umbilical I was going to buy.

Will see how it performs then think about going a bit fancy and anodising/rubber dipping external parts.

I figured the price of glands was worth it if they are as good as packhorse says.

yorkie_chris

Newly Enlightened
What type of cable do people recommend for good flexibility, durability and a good seal in the gland?

Cheers :)

yorkie_chris

Newly Enlightened
Also regarding the O ring on the gland, is there a specific counterbore/lead in chamfer which must be cut for sealing here?

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
no, just drill hole tap and enjoy...
cable the swjoo is the cheapest and good.

yorkie_chris

Newly Enlightened
There are plenty commercial outfits that do a cracking job of it that aren't overly expensive but it would be cool to start doing my own. I know troutie does his own lights too and it doesn't look overly complex.

demonic69

Newly Enlightened
I tried it a few years ago with parts from a paintball marker, didn't go so well, but I blame the crappy battery charger I blew up :D Only just got rid of the acid before I got the lathe, now I could do with it!

yorkie_chris

Newly Enlightened
Kinda stalled for a bit, my mate was meant to be turning the parts for me but he's marooned in the design office rather than in grubby fingernail world so I guess I'll have to do it myself.

Which means getting the lathe screwcutting working properly.
Which means moving it to my new place.
And rewiring the garage.

We may be some time, but I have some AGRO glands on the desk staring at me and a big chunk of ally to go at so lets have a do :) Lathe move is on Friday...

demonic69

Newly Enlightened
I'm having to wait until I get a free/dry weekend so I can replace a flat roof, then clear up the out-house and move the lathe to a larger space, then I can get cracking :D
Bloody winter!

yorkie_chris

Newly Enlightened
Anyone used "pond cable" for umbilical? It's cheapish at screwfix. Rubber outer, PVC insulation. I'm going to solder the ends onto some solid copper bits and then pot the ends so water-block isn't needed...

yorkie_chris

Newly Enlightened
p4iy.jpg

looks alright :) just the front lens to make now. Changed design and went with piezo in back of head. XML, ahorton aspheric, taskled lflex, 15.6ah (6p) lithium pack, agro glands. double O rings everywhere. Loctite 572 backup to the Orings on the glands and piezo.

yorkie_chris

Newly Enlightened
Lesson learned with it, don't fit the gland until AFTER the heatsink is seated in the body, trying to get 3" of the signal wires to the piezo in without trapping them between the heatsink and body was a right pain in the ****. Would have been way better to fish them into the middle via the gland hole.

yorkie_chris

Newly Enlightened
Torch in action. No bother diving it for a good while now, the ally body is starting to look a bit grotty but all is well. Just now looking at replacement. (it is my mates video, he has some silly lightmonkey light, you see me and my torch hanging around by the scaffolding whinging that my suit was flooded)