Dilemmas

ven

Flashaholic
My two most beat up lights are at opposite ends of the spectrum. An E01, and a McGizmo Haiku. The Haiku was daily carry at work for a few years, got used and abused. I figured if I was going to own one, I was going to use it. BUT- I have a Crosshairs C2 that lives on a shelf in my kitchen, P90 with 2xIMR 16340's in it. Once in a while I use it for dog walking. There are a regular crew of EDC lights I rotate through, the rest get occasional use like the C2. A dog walk. Out at night with my Wife. Packed for a trip. Maybe I just try to justify owning them... :)

Other than the dog part, i am quite similar as in rotating for walks and it does justify purchases well imo. Different tints, different lights give the same walk a different feel :)

Hopefully come Easter weekend i will get a bit of time to escape and take a surefire/s out for some walking. May even throw an incan in there for some proper atmosphere:faint:

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Nice motor ven! Had an old shogun and a delica in the past, they were bulletproof.

I don't have any really expensive lights. Dearest is a surefire ubr invictus but it's not something I'd be bothered about dinking, it's never gained any real sentimental value . Probably the ones I'd be precious about is a spare olight s1 brass which is kept in box in a safe place as a small investment , and i am probably pretty precious over a tm11 which was a fathers day present, it does get used but I'd be gutted if it got scratched up.
Oh and a sunwayman m40a. And that sr52vn. And a bunch of rare and re anodised maglites.

ven

Flashaholic
A while back, I bought a Malkoff Hound Dog. After I'd had it a week I dropped it and dented the bezel ring - I was mortified. I ordered another ring from Malkoff and it's still sitting in a drawer. I'm very happy using the dented one, but it's nice to know I have the ring. It's the same with my MD2s, I have a few which don't get out much, but my favourite one is the one that lives in my overalls. It is covered with scratches and dents, but it's Ok because I know I have some clean ones.

Thats so me P, i dont mind dinged up if i have fresh back up!!! Goes for a lot of things and not just flashlights.........

My beat up p1d does not have spare parts, but a back up L2T triple sat next to it in my tool draw!

I admit if its a dedicated user, i enjoy it a lot more dinged, the 1st drop is always the worst :laughing: after that who cares!

Poppy

Flashaholic
$300+ was an expensive example plucked,tbh $100 is expensive on a light(depending on its actual size/material etc) so i am cautious with pretty much all my lights to an extent. Maybe its the way i am, tools(flashlight i include under this ) i take care of, clean up after use then organised back into their allocated rack/draw.

:)
Ah yes... a job isn't finished until the tools have been cleaned and put away! :)
I do suspect however, that more of my tools will have evidence of hammer strikes than your's :whistle:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
good points mr walker, i think multiples certainly take the pressure off..............i need another c2 :laughing:

Knives yes, i have a user bead blasted kershaw, maybe cheap as chips your side £50 ish here in the UK so like a $75 knife for general uses(probably 1/2 that your side). cant bring myself to get a CR for £300...............just cant, yet on a light it is not a problem to get my head around!

I think knives and guns better transcend time than electronics. How many pre Cree revolution LED lights are people packing 5mm LEDs not withstands. But a knife made of properly heat treated 1095, O1 or even SS will probably still be cool 100 years from now. As for guns they call a 1911 that for a reason.

In short you need me to buy another C2. :)

ven

Flashaholic
Nice motor ven! Had an old shogun and a delica in the past, they were bulletproof.

I don't have any really expensive lights. Dearest is a surefire ubr invictus but it's not something I'd be bothered about dinking, it's never gained any real sentimental value . Probably the ones I'd be precious about is a spare olight s1 brass which is kept in box in a safe place as a small investment , and i am probably pretty precious over a tm11 which was a fathers day present, it does get used but I'd be gutted if it got scratched up.
Oh and a sunwayman m40a. And that sr52vn. And a bunch of rare and re anodised maglites.

Cheers, great truck for 8yrs, lots of exploring and a great family bus!
Used to do a good bit of off roading(green laning) be it peaks,lakes,wales and local-ish...........even then if i scraped the sliders over rocks, the hammerite would be out touching the underneath up...........same day :laughing:

ven

Flashaholic
I think knives and guns better transcend time than electronics. How many pre Cree revolution LED lights are people packing 5mm LEDs not withstands. But a knife made of properly heat treated 1095, O1 or even SS will probably still be cool 100 years from now. As for guns they call a 1911 that for a reason.

In short you need me to buy another C2. :)

Maybe we both should buy another! then we can enjoy one of them how they should be enjoyed:D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a McGizmo Haiku I bang around everywhere

I have a DLC Rainbow Killer that rolls around in the toolbox and is used constantly, still looks great

so, no shelf queens except one. Dam Blocky Boy. that one remains waxed and rolled up in a bag.

ven

Flashaholic
I have a McGizmo Haiku I bang around everywhere

I have a DLC Rainbow Killer that rolls around in the toolbox and is used constantly, still looks great

so, no shelf queens except one. Dam Blocky Boy. that one remains waxed and rolled up in a bag.

oooooo pics of that special one please:poke::D

Flashlight Enthusiast
oooooo pics of that special one please:poke::D

you mean this ?

ThatDamBlockyBoy_Final-FS-2.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
I'm one of those people who has like 65 ratchets in a tool chest and added an additional 5 drawer box for all those screwdrivers, pliers, nut drivers and little stuff.

I may do something with allen keys(or hex wrenches your side):whistle: and yes i have more EIGHT keys that are not in the pic!

dhunley1

Enlightened
Use it or lose it. That's how I feel about all tools, whether it's guns, knives or flashlights. That being said, if someone wants to buy a fancy, high dollar flashlight just to put on a shelf to admire, that's their choice.

I still consider myself to be a collector though. I just like to use what I collect!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm one of those people who has like 65 ratchets in a tool chest and added an additional 5 drawer box for all those screwdrivers, pliers, nut drivers and little stuff.

I may do something with allen keys(or hex wrenches your side):whistle: and yes i have more EIGHT keys that are not in the pic!

The bag I carry when junk yard shopping...

^^ this car was intact minus a grill and headlights when we began.
When done doors, windows, wheels, brakes, half the engine, the whole tranny, and heaven knows how many sensors, circuits and yards of wire harness were removed.
It looked like a carcass when we got done some 5 days later.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
The bag I carry when junk yard shopping...

Oh my friend... you are missing a battery operated drill / driver, it often makes one heck of a speed wrench.
And a pair of alligator clipped jumper wires so that you can use the drill battery to test electric window motors and such if the car battery is dead or has already been pulled.

That's a nice little kit you have there. :thumbsup:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Oh my friend... you are missing a battery operated drill / driver, it often makes one heck of a speed wrench.
And a pair of alligator clipped jumper wires so that you can use the drill battery to test electric window motors and such if the car battery is dead or has already been pulled.

That's a nice little kit you have there. :thumbsup:

My son has a bigger tool bag. lol.
We each grab a wheel burrow on the way in for carrying tools. His has a few 'lectrical items and a compact Millwakee 12 volt drill that gives 275#'s of torque in crawler gear. Yet we rarely use it.

There is not a flashlight in either bag strangely enough. We carry pocket torches instead.

nbp

Flashaholic
Looking at stuff is boring; using it is fun!

I suppose you don't drive your car anywhere because it cost you $20,000 and you might get it dirty??? That's 44 McGizmos.

Things that are made exceeding well are expensive because they are great; great to use. It is a travesty to let them sit alone and unloved on a shelf.

Join the NO SHELF QUEEN club here.

archimedes

Flashaholic
If they are not tools, they are collectibles.

Tools should get used, but never abused.

More expensive tools may merit additional care, but still ought to be used.

Everything that gets used will eventually show the signs of that use.

True collectibles probably shouldn't be used at all.

Greater than 99% of my flashlights, I personally consider as tools, and get used in one way or another.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything depreciates, unless maybe if you keep it in the original packaging and never use it, maybe.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the lights I sell look new because I really haven't used them - so I sell them.

Recently used my OR Wasp for 1.5 weeks in a paper mill in Green Bay WI (plus I carry a second light as a loaner - C22Cvn), my earlier OR triples have been used in Chinese paper mills, as has my darksucks blue label.

I used my DLC coated Haiku for ~9 months in a paper mill, another 9 months I used my OR Orange 6P with VanIsleDSM Quad & FETtie.

I do admit that my (5) McGizmo PDs have a special place for me - and those don't get carried as they should & I won't sell them....