Dissasembly of a DEAD Wicked Lasers E3 bluray

Kenom

Enlightened
I've been asked by a friend to repair his Wicked lasers E3 laser as well as his buddy's broken E3. Seems pretty pathetic that out of 3 that was purchased, 2 have died within days. It's my belief that they are using PHR-803T diodes in them and they are dying prematurely by being overdriven. Needless to say, the host is being recycled and a 500-700mw bluray diode is going to be going into these hosts.

Using a aluminum rod small enough to fit, I pushed out the front end the entire module and driver.
DSC86.JPG

pretty simple to fix all this considering it's so simple to remove everything. Should be fun.

DSC87.JPG

DSC88.JPG

DSC89.JPG

Sadly, I did break off the inductor, but I think I can replace it if needed. I am not however, using the stock driver. The 12x bluray diode that's going in here needs more current than this driver was providing probably. Still, it would be nice to have it fixed.

Last edited:

Kenom

Enlightened
You can see the inherent flaw in all three of the E3s I've got. The springs were bent down so that they touched the sides of the hosts shorting the driver right directly to the side of the host.

DSC086.JPG

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Kenom have you checked there driver I see the pot on it have you seen if its able to adjust the current or not. Was wondering if turning up one of there lasers is an option. I usualy build my own drivers for custom lasers or just buy a flexdrive. I'm interested in seing how much the wicked laser driver can put out. I good way to isolate that spring from the host is put a ball of solder on the last wind of the spring that contacts the battery and put a piece of shrink tube around the spring allowing just the ball of solder to show have had luck using 1 wrap of electrical tape as well. Good Luck Brother

Joe

nightcacher

Newly Enlightened
I have two green DBS <5 lasers that stopped working. I know, dropping them is not good. Is there anything I can do with them, can they be fixed?

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
you dropped them?? If so you may not be able to fix them the green lasers are very sensitive to shock. I have repaired one in the past but it was never as good as the day I bought it. dropped mine very short distance only 20" If you dont have anyone to look at them for you you can send them to me. I will see how bad they are. Could be something simple or something unrepairable. I dont charge to make repairs but will require return postage to send it back to you. pref. self addressed package if possible Bubble envelope or small box.

Joe

nightcacher

Newly Enlightened
After looking at them further Joe I say they are both DOI(dead on impact) I managed to get them apart awhile back, and looked at them more closely now and I'd say they are toast now. Fiddling around I broke the circuit boards from brass part/head/laser like in Kenom's pics. Parts anyone?

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
yea probably rite if the boards are broken off. I have had some luck being able to solder to the legs of the diode when there was only a nub, but most times it's impossible

Joe

Kenom

Enlightened
it's my estimation that you wouldn't wanna tweak the pot on this thing anyway primarily because the diode in these things is so inferior. I mean out of 3, 2 died? The last one was shorting as well, but it didn't kill it. I'm thinking the diodes just can't handle this power rating.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Probably rite I have been able to turn a few of the cheapies up without issues so far. However most have a small value change pot and it wont permit turning it up to any real power even if the Diode could handle the current. Good Luck with the repairs

Joe