DITO Feng Bird Stainless Steel AAA light - Impressions

Dubois

Enlightened
OK, so the name is a little ridiculous, but don't worry about that - the light itself has no name, or branding on it at all.:)

I picked this up from one of Gearbest's recent promotions for $8.46. In fact, it's still that price. First impression was disappointment, but that was simply because I thought it was the Olight S1 I'd ordered a week before.;) Actually I was very surprised when I opened the package to find one of the little (allegedly) waterproof plastic boxes like this. The light was wrapped in bubble wrap in the box, and also included was a small carabiner hook.

The light itself is a little unusual, with the head being slightly larger than the body - it's 15mm, while the rest of the body is 13mm. It's well built, which explains its weight - 43g with an eneloop (Thrunite TiS is 36g; ESOLamp SP11 is 37g; Klarus MiX6 is 29g and Nitecore T5s 30g). Also unusual is that the head twists to turn on/off (it's only one mode), but the head is fixed it won't come off. Quite handy for those worried about losing the head of twisty lights.

The emitter is described as Cree XPG-X2, which I confess I've never heard of. It does look like a XP-G2, and is perfectly centred, with a reasonable (cool white) tint. No green in a nice hotspot without artifacts. The quoted 105 lm output is an exaggeration.

Frankly, for $8 and change it's a no brainer. Personally I think it's too heavy to use on a keychain, but that doesn't bother me - it's going in my little pelican type case with my other stainless steel lights - and although a quarter of the price of some of them, it does not look out of place. Highly recommended.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, i like your review style. It contains honest and helpful views of the essential aspects of the flashlight, well done! I'd wish other reviewers included such writing in their reviews too. Thanks for the detailed write-up, both subjective and objective!

I ordered it too some week ago and will try to express my impressions of the qualities of the light too. My unit is still en route.

No doubt it looks very beautiful on the photos.

A google search on the term < "xpg x2" > returns hits on amazon, ebay, and international sellers. Prices go up to 18.95$.

Apart from the low price offer, is there anything about the light itself which screams budgetlight? I mean the build quality.

Thanks again, hope to see more of your review work!!

Dubois

Enlightened
Thanks for your kind comments kreisl.

I did google search the emitter, and this seems to be the only light using it. Maybe a typo?

The build quality seems pretty good to me. As I said, it doesn't look out of place with my other little stainless steel lights. I don't now whether the head might come off to get a better look inside (and even on a $8 light I won't risk it), but I'veseen a lot worse lights than this one.

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
IIRC one of the Chinese LED makers names their lights similar to the Cree naming convention. Instead of XP-G it is XPG and the likes. This causes confused ad's and confused people writing the ad's adding Cree into the specs.

Dubois

Enlightened
Thanks for that info. The description does say Cree, and it does actually look very similar to other XP-G2 emitters I have.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
sinfotosy0oj6.gif

Dubois

Enlightened
Does it work with 10440's?

Sorry, I don't know, as the light came without instructions. Gearbest's description simply says "AAA battery", so I suspect a 10440 would kill it. I'm not going to risk mine.:)

I also notice the price has crept up to $10.23. Still a good buy imho.

Ethan_90

Newly Enlightened
Alright I'll pass, i have 3 10440s that kight "accidentally" find their way inside.

Teobaldo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the impressions of this flashlight. It looks interesting and the price is reasonable, but did not know their brand. It is good detail of the plastic box (I have a similar cost me half the flashlight in another Chinese store). The only thing I dislike is that it is single mode only.

Sometimes they appear very interesting deals on online stores.