DIY reliable li-ion charger

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
Thanks to HKJ for THIS review and everyone else who posted, I came up with this:
esynegy6.jpg

It used to be an unreliable, so called "1A" charger that I had laying around. Gutted it, and made it a true 500mA/1A/2A li-ion charger.
Adjustable you ask? No. But...if connected to a comp usb via micro or mini usb(yes now it has both) it will deliver 500mA(since most comp/laptop usb ports supply that). Good for the smaller capacity cells.
If connected to a phone charger that supplies 1A(or more) via the same ports it will output 1A.
Now here's the kicker. Connected through a wall wart capable of at least 2A (which is my main use) I can charge at a two amp rate. How? Well there are two boards inside this redesigned unit and only the wall wart can power both boards at the same time thanks to the design of the dc jack. Kinda neat I think. And not to overlook it's capability to now charge 18650's 26650's and even 32650's, and all with no magnets or the risk of shorting anything out.

Bonus? Yes. Voltmeter. :D

Some pics:
y8ehamyz.jpg

a8ehuqyz.jpg

saseseby.jpg

ybu6yjed.jpg

esy2aran.jpg

usejahet.jpg

ba6azeja.jpg

6yrevyry.jpg

And looks like I got lucky and received an accurate voltmeter
mu4y9yru.jpg

Last edited:

Hashime

Newly Enlightened
It would be neat if you popped in a MCU like a Pic or an Arduino to control charging. It would not be super hard to make one switch between a constant current and constant voltage charging circuit at the correct time.

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
So many options, such limited space. With 3 different types of input options, two charging modules, a bit of heatsink to the boards and all the wires, it'd be a challenge cramming more in that lil box. Also, I was able to put together this whole project with less than ten bucks. Can't beat that.

One thing I do regret is forgetting to incorporate the wires from the adapter inside the unit rather than soldering them to the posts after closing it all back up.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Job. Where did you get your voltmeter.......part number? I'm doing a similar project though mine is quite a bit more money.

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
Nice Job. Where did you get your voltmeter.......part number? I'm doing a similar project though mine is quite a bit more money.

Thanks
Buyincoins was the supplier but off of the eBay site so no part number sry.

Good luck with your project.

Latest posts