Do you like flashlights that remember last mode?

Do you like flashlights that remember last mode?

• Yes

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 44.5%

• Total voters

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
In a light like my Clicky where I can jump to another level without cycling I like it a lot, but I think that twisty lights in general are better without it. That said, I still love my Draco.

woodentsick

Enlightened
I don't like cycling through modes, so I won't be buying any more reverse clickies with 15 modes to cycle through...been there, done that :ironic:

However, I also won't buy a light with a memory mode... I want to always know what mode a light will come on in. Also, I usually find that my last-used mode often doesn't have anything to do with the mode I need next :shrug:

I agree with jhc37013 in that I favour UI's where you can access the different modes without any cycling, such as in the Zebralight and Malkoff (with the 2-mode ring) and HDS lights.

Woodentsick

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my lights to operate predictably without me having to remember the last used setting. My preference is that a light always defaults to low.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
IMO

Programmable>dial/rotary>multiple clicks to dial in modes>set (no memory)=remember last mode

I voted yes but blinding your self and having to go through modes (especially with twisties) is equally annoying.

Last edited:

indychris

Newly Enlightened
What I realized tonight is that I wish there was a way to program whether or not to remember the last setting. Overall it is a nice feature, but tonight I recall why I won't use it. I just got back from jogging with my ET T20C2 MKII on low setting just to light me path. As I crested a hill, to older teens (?) approached me quickly and with an aggressive appearance. With two quick clicks that seemingly took only a millisecond, It was pouring out 500 lumens right at the guys. They quickly moved back over to the other side of the street. They likely posed no threat at all, but it was a nice feature to be able to go to a high setting almost immediately.
icon_smile_thumbup.gif

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I wish there was a way to program whether or not to remember the last setting.
All of Henry's lights have the capability of programming whether or not to use the memory function, but even if you do use memory and want full blast, you can still get there either from on in any position or from off, instantly. HDS and Liteflux did it right by allowing you to choose.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You forget the poll option for "sometimes".

For me it depends on the application. The light that lives on my bedside table, for example, I want to always come on in low. The light that I EDC I would prefer always come on in high, or at least remember that I last used it on high.

fyrstormer

Banned
My preferred combination is last-mode-memory + no strobe. It annoys me when I turn on a light and the brightness setting isn't exactly the same as I left it. Sometimes I use my lights in the dark, sometimes I use them to illuminate shadows in the daytime; in the dark, I don't want the light to always turn-on on the high setting, and in the daytime, I don't want the light to always turn-on on the low setting. I want it to turn-on using the same setting I used a few minutes prior.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

If I were to choose between two identical lights, and one had memory,
memory wins without question.
There's nothing worse than having night adapted vision and your light is full blast at start

If I wanted a light that always came on full blast,
I'd buy it at big box store.

If someone feels they are supertastical and needs a light full blast at start,
turn off your light w/ memory on high,...it's fairly straightforward.

edit: 1K posts

Last edited:

Sharpy_swe

Enlightened
I have just ordered my first flashlight with "memory", the Fenix LD40. But I will mainly use as a "one-mode" flashlight with the option to change modes if necessary.

So right now I don't know if I like memory feature or not, time will tell :sssh:

indychris

Newly Enlightened
All of Henry's lights have the capability of programming whether or not to use the memory function, but even if you do use memory and want full blast, you can still get there either from on in any position or from off, instantly. HDS and Liteflux did it right by allowing you to choose.

I'm admittedly a NuB. I had no idea that such options existed. I'll have to take a look at some of those.
icon_smile_thumbup.gif

fyrstormer

Banned
The really nice thing about the control-ring lights is they don't need electronic memory, because they have mechanical memory in the form of the control ring. They also don't need a way to pre-program the light to remember or forget the last mode, because you don't have to turn on the light and risk blinding yourself just to find out what the brightness setting is -- you can twist the control ring side-to-side and see which end-stop it bumps against to determine its approximate brightness setting and adjust it prior to turning it on.

veleno

Enlightened
You forget the poll option for "sometimes".

If I were to choose between two identical lights

My question should be seen exactly in this way.

Two identical flashlights, one with memory and one without memory, which one would you choose? No other options.

There's nothing worse than having night adapted vision and your light is full blast at start
I agree, but there is no need of memory, all the flashlights usually start at the minimum level.

The risk with the memory is really that to switch on the flashlight at a high level in a situation in which you need a low level. This could be very annoying if your eyes are already dark adapted.

I can't remember all the times the last mode I used, so I prefer a flashlight that starts at a low level by default.

edit: 1K posts

Congratulations! :party: :D

Last edited:

Fird

Enlightened
I carry 2 lights, one 18650 light ~500 lumens, stored with the memory at full blast, and an LF2XT, stored during the day on something akin to low-mid, and at night stored at its very lowest setting. If need blast, apply finger to 18650 light, if need not blast, apply finger to AAA light, very easy to tell apart, very simple to remember in a state of sleepy-headedness. My third light is set to no memory, med-low-high-locator (LF5XT) and is a great general use light, nobody I hand it to needs to know to double-click to change modes, simple click on-off works great.