Do you still use incandescent light bulbs?

kkay

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I still use them. They work fine, and they are cheap. I bought a few of the CFL, and they don't last nearly as long as the incandescent bulbs. Plus I think they are safer. That is enough for me. I can't afford to replace all the bulbs out with LED. Maybe in the future, I will try it.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Yes, I still use them. They work fine, and they are cheap.
[...]
I can't afford to replace all the bulbs out with LED.
Emphasis added. While incandescent costs less to acquire than other technologies, it costs immensely more to operate than other technologies, and that operational cost is far far greater than the acquisition cost.

markr6

Flashaholic
Just replaced 5 more incandescents with Cree 60w TW. They have to be TW for me with the 93CRI. Walls and wood trim (and everything else) look great and don't have that dingy greenish hue. Picked up a 6-pack for $49 - at about $8/ea I'm a buyer.

poiihy

Enlightened
Just replaced 5 more incandescents with Cree 60w TW. They have to be TW for me with the 93CRI. Walls and wood trim (and everything else) look great and don't have that dingy greenish hue. Picked up a 6-pack for $49 - at about $8/ea I'm a buyer.

You missed the clearance of Cree TW lamps at home depot. They were selling for half that!

markr6

Flashaholic
You missed the clearance of Cree TW lamps at home depot. They were selling for half that!

No I caught it. Unfortunately there were only 6 in stock, and those were 40W that I don't want. I did buy a few just because they were something like $3.97!

poiihy

Enlightened
No I caught it. Unfortunately there were only 6 in stock, and those were 40W that I don't want. I did buy a few just because they were something like $3.97!

I got one 60w equivalent for that price.

TPA

Enlightened
I absolutely use incandescents! My bulb choice depends a lot on where it's going to be used. At my primary home I have a ton of PAR36 aircraft landing light recessed cans rocking Halogen/Xenon-mix 12v bulbs. Yes folks, real aircraft landing lights. I haven't found anything even close to these puppies in terms of light quality, efficiency, dimmability, and beam patterns. Some of the bulbs actually were salvaged from real B737s too.

Over the master bath sink are 4 Panasonic GU-style CFL bulbs which are 14 years old now. Slow to come up to full brightness, which is appreciated first thing in the morning, but they always come on. I have no intention of replacing these -- 14 years for a CFL and still ticking? They don't make 'em like this anymore.

I have a ~20 year old Philips Capsulite CFL in the front porch light. Still comes on every evening with an external photocell driving it. This little bulb's been with me from grade school, into college, and beyond. Serious blackening at the ends of the tube and she ain't as bright as she used to be...but 20 years! This bulb's outlasted just about everything mechanical/electrical I own.

Cove lighting is linear T5, dimmable ballasts. Considering how much these puppies cost, I'm not replacing them anytime soon.

Dining room has 4 real carbon filament bulbs in the chandelier. Efficiency is terrible but I love the ambiance. Like my other CFLs, these probably will last forever, which is fine by me. But wow, do they run hot!

At my other home, just about everything is LED. Living areas are high-CRI 2700K LEDs, bathrooms have 5K's, kitchen has both 2700K & 5K on separate circuits. Only fluorescent here is the 4' linear in the master bedroom closet. With these using so little power, I often leave them on dimmed down to the minimum. Already had a few failures of the LED bulbs, notably the Feit ones from Costco and a couple of the 3-way Crees.

jayrdwein

Newly Enlightened
Yes of course, we still have 1 in the storage room. I'm only using 60w since incandescent light bulbs consume a lot of electricity.

nightshade

Enlightened
Two. One in each,dual lamped, light fixtures above the map reading/comm station and the comfy lazy boy recliner reading area on my boat. Using Philips 415265 RV and Marine 50-Watt A19 12-Volt light bulbs. The remaining lamp in each dual lamp fixture is led. I prefer reading by incandescent.

espresso

Newly Enlightened
I mostly phased out incandescents in the house, although they are the dominant type of bulb in my country.
I've had good results in combining CFLs of different temperatures: (2500K+4000K+6500K), (2700K+4000K). That's the cheapest way of getting a high CRI light.

I've just recently started taking interest in LED bulbs. The thing I don't like with LEDs is that their radiating angles aren't good and their light surface is much smaller than CFL's resulting in stronger shadows.

One of the main reasons I started using CFLs in the first place was diffused light and ability to use more bulbs due to less heat.

The Burgh

Newly Enlightened
In my home, I have a "trilight" theme.

Incans that have yet to die, CFLs in places and in stock to replace expired incans, LED bulbs "ripening" as they await their turns.

Yep, THE TRILIGHT ZONE.

Last edited:

brickbat

Enlightened
OK, the final bastion of the incandescent has fallen to LED in our house. As I noted a year ago, it was some 50W GU10 lamps. We use these over the dining table, so anything that was much of a departure from the look of incandescent wasn't gonna cut it with wifey. I popped in some Sylvania 'Ultra' LED HD lamps (right, High def, jeesh). Anyway CRI is 90-ish at 3000K. They're nice, and at 8W, brighter than the 50W incandescents they replaced. They dim decently, though the lack of warm-as-it-dims takes some adjustment. All-in-all, recommended...

iamhacked

Newly Enlightened
Only in my bathrooms. Also the basement has dimmable halogen lights, but I never go down there

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Last year I finally found decent replacements for the small-base chandelier bulbs. I used 4000K in the living room and 5000K in the dining room, both dimmable. Those were the last bastions of incandescents in my place other than the oven light and a light in the foyer (only reason it's there is because I had installed a dimmer years before, and dimmable CFLs were hard to find). Once the bulb goes, it'll be replaced with a dimmable LED.

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
I still uses incans, since I have a mess of them in my hall closet (though that stock is gradually depleting with time). Plus a few of the fixtures in my apartment are still running the same bulbs that were in there when I moved in 9 years ago. My Dad gave me a box of so-so CFLs he got on sale once. Those lasted a few years at best. I have one in the bathroom which is still going, defying all expectations. I have quite a number of those 3-way bulbs, which is good since as other have mentioned, the alternatives are not cheap.

When they're all gone I'll go LED, at least for my own personal lamps. I did consider replacing the FL tubes in the kitchen fixture with LED tubes and taking them with me when I move, because I had a few FL tubes go too quickly, but they're behaving now.

I don't think I'll mind LEDs since I like cool white lighting, but I do enjoy a nice warm 60w bulb in the table lamp next to the bed at night. Otherwise, the LEDs I running at the moment are in flashlights and lanterns.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife insists that I keep an incandescent in the lamp next to her bed. Also - the LED options for our kitchen chandelier leave a lot to be desired. Other than that my whole house has been converted to LEDs for about 3 years now.

Latest posts