Do you use the Mini-Maglite butt cap lanyard hole?

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm off my hinges but didn't Maglite sue over it being too similar?

It is almost better than a MiniMagLite and had tons more accessories. As soon as I get some NiCads I'm making a video on it.

I got a NIB Jr, accessories kit, kit to convert it to rechargable, and a JR so called old style switch that doesn't fit. I guess it can't all be winners.

Maybe the 80's Streamlight was waaaaay ahead of it's time. What if they out Mag the Mag? What if they had Keller on the payroll? What if before Eagleville they were da bomb?

All this and more somewhere in the depths of Russian Federation social media....

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um, this is a Maglite thread. Let's try to stay on topic, please.
Sure thing Bro', as soon as I give you some directions, since you misunderstood my post(s), and appear to have taken a wrong turn somewhere and lost your way, so I will correct the record before I'm finished w/ this thread, thank you.

The switch you linked to in post #37 is the one I have, and I already linked to it in post #9 on the LITT site. Note that it is a 'reverse' switch. Glad you've checked it out now. It's working great / as advertised for me.

The second switch I linked to on JB's big site (also in post #9 along with the other one), is very different (a forward switch and of otherwise different design), and is the one you asked (in post #16) why I linked to on JB's site. I answered your question in post #17 (in BOLD) by essentially informing you that the reason I linked to it there is because it is (apparently) not listed on LITT's site - only JB's site. Since you've now obviously looked at the LITT site, you have now (apparently) verified that fact, and answered your own question yet again (which I already answered, but you apparently did not understand).

There are 2 different switches, and I provided info on both switches; one on LITT's site, and another on JB's site. In post #9 I linked to both, on the respective sites on which they are listed.

Hopefully that explains things sufficiently. If not, please feel free to ask a direct question, and I will provide a direct answer (again).

As for whatever point you were actually trying to make with your 'question' in post #16, I don't understand it, so you'll have to make that one with someone else, not me.

I don't know how to make this any more clear, but am happy to answer any further specific questions you may have regarding what I have posted in this thread. Everything I've posted is clear and accurate, and stands as is - without edit or correction.

@knucklegary : I think this covers your question as well, Bro'.

Over and out.
(We be 'down and gone', but otherwise 'on the side listening in'.)
'Unwatch'

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to be clear: @aznsx linked two separate switches from two different suppliers

I think, one switch has been upgraded. The switch with a few not so great reviews, correct?

Edit: Brewing more coffee.. tho I might need to ice it down 🤙

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure thing Bro', as soon as I give you some directions, since you misunderstood my post(s), and appear to have taken a wrong turn somewhere and lost your way, so I will correct the record before I'm finished w/ this thread, thank you.

The switch you linked to in post #37 is the one I have, and I already linked to it in post #9 on the LITT site. Note that it is a 'reverse' switch. Glad you've checked it out now. It's working great / as advertised for me.

The second switch I linked to on JB's big site (also in post #9 along with the other one), is very different (a forward switch and of otherwise different design), and is the one you asked (in post #16) why I linked to on JB's site. I answered your question in post #17 (in BOLD) by essentially informing you that the reason I linked to it there is because it is (apparently) not listed on LITT's site - only JB's site. Since you've now obviously looked at the LITT site, you have now (apparently) verified that fact, and answered your own question yet again (which I already answered, but you apparently did not understand).

There are 2 different switches, and I provided info on both switches; one on LITT's site, and another on JB's site. In post #9 I linked to both, on the respective sites on which they are listed.

Hopefully that explains things sufficiently. If not, please feel free to ask a direct question, and I will provide a direct answer (again).

As for whatever point you were actually trying to make with your 'question' in post #16, I don't understand it, so you'll have to make that one with someone else, not me.

I don't know how to make this any more clear, but am happy to answer any further specific questions you may have regarding what I have posted in this thread. Everything I've posted is clear and accurate, and stands as is - without edit or correction.

@knucklegary : I think this covers your question as well, Bro'.

Over and out.
(We be 'down and gone', but otherwise 'on the side listening in'.)
'Unwatch'

Calm down, please! I don't know why you are so upset.

Now, I'm not even sure this product on amazon is even by the same company. The company name on the amazon product is liteXpress Germany, not LITT Industries, USA.
If that is a German subsidiary of LITT Industries, then no concern.

I was confused by your original post #9, sorry I upset you, it was not my intent.

ETA: Amazon's page lists the country of origin for their switch as China. Just FYI.

Last edited:

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
Kudos to Mr. Maglica for doing that, but as a former martial artist myself, I think a plain cap with reeding like on the C and D Maglites would work fine. In a fast encounter, I'm not going to have time to orient the shark fin in my response. A plain round cap with reeding is going to hurt. Yes, the shark fin could do more damage, but like I said, I'm not going to have time to orient it. I doubt most buyers even consider using it in that manner. OC seems to be the weapon of choice for those not packing a handgun. Tactical knife backup. I don't want to get into a whole thread about tactical preparedness and response, SO PLEASE FOLKS, DON'T GO THERE!

My thinking was that based on my non-use of the lanyard holes, that most owners don't use it, and if the machining process to do it was eliminated it could save Maglite some time and money, and make the light cheaper to make and perhaps lower the retail price to the consumer, and make the product even more competitive with foreign and domestic competition.

Mike, would you please post a photo of how you set up your wrist strap on your Mini-Maglites? Maybe I'm missing the boat here.
IIRC, the Mini Maglite came out about the time Tak Kubota was introducing/marketing the Kubotan (early 80's). Everyone in my department had both; keys on the Kubotan and the Mini Mag in the back pocket next to your wallet. Our DT instructor was in love with both of them! we learned holds, strikes, come-alongs...it was a glorious time!

Here's some info for you youngins that don't know what I'm prattling on about:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, the Mini Maglite came out about the time Tak Kubota was introducing/marketing the Kubotan (early 80's). Everyone in my department had both; keys on the Kubotan and the Mini Mag in the back pocket next to your wallet. Our DT instructor was in love with both of them! we learned holds, strikes, come-alongs...it was a glorious time!

Here's some info for you youngins that don't know what I'm prattling on about:

I think the Monadnock PR-24® Rigid Side-Handle Black Polycarbonate Baton is much superior to the expandable batons so popular today. But with all the crap that LEOs have to carry on their belts, I understand it makes day to day life easier not to have to slide it on and off the belt all the time. However, on the occasion when you really need a baton, I'd rather have that rigid polycarbonate side handle Monadnock than an expandable metal baton, but that's just me. As they say, YMMV. But nowadays, with excellent OC and the TASER as standard LEO equipment, plus the politics of reducing injury to suspects, baton usage seems to be frowned upon. In that regard, having a nice, rather large EBF (Evil Black Flashlight) makes a nice stand-in for the solid baton. :)

With all the tactical gear LEOs have these days, OC, TASER, tactical pen, tactical knife, pistol, BUG, expandable baton, I wonder how often a Kubotan is even carried, and then reached for and employed. Having said that, I did get Cold Steel's Pocket Shark markers for myself and my female family members, along with Sabre Red OC to carry. I admit, I seldom carry the Pocket Shark, as I just have too much other schtuff that I carry on me. As for my family members, I'm hoping that the more options they have the more likely that they will employ at least one of them! My XYL now also carries a SF Fury DFT in that piece of luggage that she refers to as a purse. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
I think the Monadnock PR-24® Rigid Side-Handle Black Polycarbonate Baton is much superior to the expandable batons so popular today. But with all the crap that LEOs have to carry on their belts, I understand it makes day to day life easier not to have to slide it on and off the belt all the time. However, on the occasion when you really need a baton, I'd rather have that rigid polycarbonate side handle Monadnock than an expandable metal baton, but that's just me. As they say, YMMV. But nowadays, with excellent OC and the TASER as standard LEO equipment, plus the politics of reducing injury to suspects, baton usage seems to be frowned upon. In that regard, having a nice, rather large EBF (Evil Black Flashlight) makes a nice stand-in for the solid baton. :)

With all the tactical gear LEOs have these days, OC, TASER, tactical pen, tactical knife, pistol, BUG, expandable baton, I wonder how often a Kubotan is even carried, and then reached for and employed. Having said that, I did get Cold Steel's Shark markers for myself and my female family members, along with Sabre Red OC to carry. I admit, I seldom carry the Shark, as I just have too much other schtuff that I carry on me. As for my family members, I'm hoping that the more options they have the more likely that they will employ at least one of them! My XYL now also carries a SF Fury DFT in that piece of luggage that she refers to as a purse. :rolleyes:
I just started carrying an ASP Defender on my keys again. I usually always have a Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA with me as well. I've carried a Kubotan of some sort since High School and the Defenders were a logical extension of those.

When I was a cop, and later and armed Security Officer, I carried and used a PR24 to great effect. It was a pain to run with but there was nothing like getting out of the car and sliding the baton into it's ring - solved a lot of problems before they began ;)

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just started carrying an ASP Defender on my keys again. I usually always have a Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA with me as well. I've carried a Kubotan of some sort since High School and the Defenders were a logical extension of those.

When I was a cop, and later and armed Security Officer, I carried and used a PR24 to great effect. It was a pain to run with but there was nothing like getting out of the car and sliding the baton into it's ring - solved a lot of problems before they began ;)
I've never been a fan of ASP products, but I looked up the Defender, and I may give it a try. The Sabre Red that I carry on my keychain, while hanging in a very convenient place where my hand hangs, clacks against the SAK on my key ring. I think the SAK is going to have to move... and I may try the Defender in place of the Sabre Red and see how I like it. Have you heard any reports on how effective the ASP OC is?

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
I've never been a fan of ASP products, but I looked up the Defender, and I may give it a try. The Sabre Red that I carry on my keychain, while hanging in a very convenient place where my hand hangs, clacks against the SAK on my key ring. I think the SAK is going to have to move... and I may try the Defender in place of the Sabre Red and see how I like it. Have you heard any reports on how effective the ASP OC is?
I used one against a non-compliant drunk at a party I was working. It worked. I gave him a face full from about 3' (I had to maneuver him so the breeze was at my back) - about a 2 second squirt. He immediately closed his eyes and began coughing, which allowed myself and my partner to snatch him up and move him away from the crowd.

I'd be willing to guess the OC is Sabre although I can't confirm. It's 10% strength according to the info on the cylinder. It's a fog so you'll have to be fairly close to use it, but as a "get off me" tool I think its a great combo.

fuyume

Enlightened
I have a handful of Mini-Maglites, and I don't use the lanyard hole in the butt cap on any of them. So I'm wondering if MAGLITE is doing an unnecessary machining operation to make it. I would be just as happy with a regular round butt cap, maybe even more so. That lanyard hole is not needed, in my opinion. What do you think? Do you use it? Would you be fine if the butt cap was plain like on the large Maglites? Maybe make the lanyard hole butt cap an optional purchase, like a glass lens? Let me know what you think.
I don't now, because I do not currently have a functional Mini Maglite in the house, but when I originally started using them as a Stage Technician, in those days, it was de rigeur to have a Mini Maglite on a lanyard, since dropping tools from a height can have deadly consequence.

When I bought my first Mini Maglite LED, I was disappointed to note the lack of lanyard hole.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Brinkmann is different and the old Streamlight JR. is perfection. Streamlight's own JR switch doesn't fit it tho.
Can you please clarify which Stremlight Jr you own? Is that the older one with a Kroll-like (J1052) switch, and can you post pics on that tail switch? And are you saying that this very switch does NOT fit into the incan MagAA at all?