Does anybody know where I can get a control box AN/VSS-3

eyesonfire

Newly Enlightened
The project before this one was refitting a beat up nighthunter 1 with a 70 watt HID and lithium polymer batteries. The thing runs great, but you are correct they could turn and bite you in a second. I actually left a vent port opened on the nighthunter to relieve any pressure in case one decides to be a fire breathing dragon.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Po-batteries&p=4116057&viewfull=1#post4116057

I also picked up a nighthunter 2 which I plan on doing the same type of thing.
This hobby is hard to explain to others. Sure is fun though.

NITE LITE

Newly Enlightened
Hi
Not trying to hijack the thread. I have a 2nd VSS-3A till packed in it's original shipping crate .
I planned on keeping it for spare parts.
But I don't use the other one I mount up on the HMMWV much to begin with.
So I have decided to sell it.
I don't want to split it up . ( separate the control box from light, or the connectors)
I have I believe all of the connectors needed to makeup the 2 main cables to make the light work.
I might have the connectors used for the remote .
I don't have the actual cables just the connectors .
I can send pictures via email of what I have If anyone is interested.
$1,200 plus shipping

I have to check for sure if it is a VSS-3 or 3A
Just checked it's a VSS-3A

Basically you will receive
Light
Protective Canvas cover
Main Control Box
Remote Control Box
Technical Manual
Bulb changing tool
and the connectors I have. ( I think I have a set of 5 )
The light has 0 hours on it to my knowledge .
All of the parts are still wrapped and sealed in there original foil pouches.
I believe it was made in the late 70's

Maybe you might want to sell your light or keep it for parts

Last edited:

stuartsjg

Newly Enlightened
I wish things like this came up on ebay UK. Nothing like this seen for a long time unless from the USA.

nealitc

Newly Enlightened
What a neat find! Will be interesting to see what the add-on unit is, some sort of detector or laser targeting?
For the MS connectors I've been buying DDK clones from Galco, <1/2 the price of Amphenol.
I use a Meanwell RSP-1500-27 to power my VSS-3, works well.
My Lorain Flotrol 28V 100A rectifier is looking for a new home...

Jeep1234

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I have recently become interested with the whole vss-3 / 3a debate. I have a friend whom is enlisting me to work on a whole bunch that he has, and I had to give input. That Vss3-a in th picture is like nothing I have seen before. The shape is correct but the "cone " projection is very strange. Would be nice to know what it is.

On the other topic, I have lit both Vss-3's and 3a's. N, boxes are not inter changable. I thought it would be of some use to also state tht the boxes ( that I have seen) are physically a different form factor. We are going to try to replicate a control for the 3a, but honestly the 3 is a nicer light. More futuristic, as very powerful lamp. I need to learn everything there is about them.

As for cables, I believe the interconnecting cable is the same, right? Also what does this mean...."For the MS connectors I've been buying DDK clones from Galco, <1/2 the price of Amphenol." What in the world is a DDK clone?!?

eyesonfire

Newly Enlightened
The cone had a fresnel lens and a Ir diode inside, thats all. Not sure of its use. I have since removed the cone..

Last edited: