Does WARM LED replace your Incandescent?

wuyeah

Enlightened
Hey guys, few brands are tinting their LED to warm color. Does the color tint a good visual replacement for incandescent? I hvnt give it a try.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are lots of beamshots on the forums of warm tinted LED lights and incandescent lights. Did you try searching?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The high CRI xpg's are very, very close. Perhaps a tad warmer than higher end incans, but not by much. Incan is still better by a slight margin, but the efficiencly of the led will pretty much make it the choice for edc.

FBsLights

Newly Enlightened
I've tried a few "warm" emitters, including the high 90+ cri XPG. All I've tried have been too warm. They appear either brown or yellow compared to a good, hard driven incan.

The warm emitters I tried were around 3000K. The emitter I have that appears the closest in color was technically tinted a "neutral", but on the warm end (5C bin, 4000K). This is my favorite LED color so far.

I would love to find a high CRI emitter tinted as around 3500K (6A, 6B, 6C, 6d).

A nice white incan is still my favorite!

FB

Last edited:

thaugen

Enlightened
I use a Malkoff M61LHCRI in my Surefire C2 instead of the incandescent drop in. I love the tint, efficiency and color rendition of this set-up.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I wholeheartedly agree with the above posts. Before I expound on that, please bear in mind that only seeing comparative beamshots or comparing the two in person yourself will determine which suits your individual tastes best.

With respect to the above answers, I received my first high CRI LED, an XP-G at around 3000k in the 7B region, a few days ago. I think it is too warm for me. After seeing even a stock E2E lamp module, I believe I prefer a whiter incandescent or a higher CCT LED. However, the many opinions on CPF, though wonderful to read, did not make that decision for me, as only using the light in person indoors and out could make what I prefer become clear.

Supplementary Viewing Material, Linked from DiFiorentino's Wonderful Thread Here

Older Tint Chart

Newer Tint Chart

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I installed a Lumens Factory warm XP-G in my Pila GL3 and the tint is very nice. It's hard to say no to because 9V bulb replacements from Pila are $21 a pop. The LF Warm head only works with AW 17500/18500, the ends on my two Pila 300S were dented pretty bad. :(

The warm XM-Ls installed in my Big Bruiser are very nicely tinted, basically identical to incan or low color temperature HID.

wuyeah

Enlightened
There are lots of beamshots on the forums of warm tinted LED lights and incandescent lights. Did you try searching?

I have seen them or on youtube video but I am more interested in first hand user experience.

coral.kee

Newly Enlightened
i do not sure if LED is better for the visual replacement,
but it really save energy.:laughing:

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a M31W and M91W.
The 31 is the nicest color, truest to incan, however still not quite there.
The 91 is a tad pink when white wall hunting.

Both are fantastic outdoors.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is not a replacment, and temp has little to do with it, inc. bulb emmits light in much wider spectrum than leds.
i have not seen a led that can replace halogen, take one in a forest at night, you'll see why.

DM51

Flashaholic
I have only two lights where the LED tint simulates an incan with any accuracy: a McGizmo Sundrop, and an A2 with one of calipsoii's WW rings in it.

That's not to say I don't like my other LED lights - I do, and they are extremely useful - but those two are truly incan-like in their effect.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very happy with the new high CRI xp-gs, but I still have a few high power incans (200+ lumens) running on li-ions.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very happy with the new high CRI xp-gs, but I still have a few high power incans (200+ lumens) running on li-ions.

Gonna have to agree with you there. The XP-Gs are very nice and the XM-Ls are even closer to incan. The only difference is the LED is going to last a lot longer!

PS- LOVE your avatar! Do you have a bigger version? I'm going to guess that's your cat, what a total beast. :)

Last edited:

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
I think the warm, hi-cri XPGs are pretty nice, but not as nice as a good incan. When I need to use a flashlight outside, I usually grab my Mag74.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with ProofTech. Around home it's incandescent because it's so easy to charge batteries and the color rendition is very, very good. If I'm going camping for a week or more, I'll take LEDs warm or not because of the longer run time. When LEDs first came out I liked the blue color. Now I prefer the warmer colors. There are some very nice warm LEDs out there. There are reasons to prefer a bright incandescent, however. Imagine walking in the desert and trying to locate that rattlesnake that is shaking his tail at you! See what I mean?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
PS- LOVE your avatar! Do you have a bigger version? I'm going to guess that's your cat, what a total beast. :)

Thank you

Sadly no picture on this computer for some reason. He was 18 at the time of the photo and weighed a nice 13 pounds without being fat :D

The cat died a couple of years ago, but the U2 is still going strong