Does weight matters?

Tiresius

Enlightened
Does that matters when making your light selection in regards to size to weight ratio? To me, I prefer a more heavier feel on the bezel to balance the handling and use of a pocket rocket. It just feels sturdy and confident on my hand.

ven

Flashaholic
Hi Matt,i am sure very varied replies ,out in the field,mountain climbing,any back packing or use or hours then weight is a big priority. Personally with lights i like some weight like you,gives you that solid reassurance that builds confidence in the build itself(again this is me). One of my more weighty lights for the size is my tm15

Only trouble is the heavy they are.......... the harder they fall :laughing:

Other end size but weighty ,my t10s fed AA eneloop is a heavy, solid feeling light being stainless.....

This also gives me confidence in the build ,but as an edc light i go for a lighter option like ti so i carry a couple of d25c ti lights in different coats or the t10t. This is in a zipped pocket so loss is less likely. If in trouser pockets i do like to know its there so a little weight helps me know its not lost and is there.

So for me yes i like weight in medium to larger lights in general,but dependent on use then weight does come into it,especially if its on me all day and where i am carrying it:)

I still have the heavy weight e05ss on my truck keys:confused: replacing the DGQ spy which weighs nothing(not saying its a permanent move and its a better light) but an area really i prefer a lighter flashlight..................

When purchasing a light though, i never check the grams etc ,its the form factor,led,tint,use,brand that comes before(in no specific order).
Yes to it being balanced too in the hand for comfort
:)

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally with lights I am of the less is more group.

There are lights where extra thermal mass makes sense but for the most part don't need to "blot out the sun." Balance matters but generally the only clue to that would be a review. Nothing about a listed weight tells me how they distributed the weight. I've seen some that have issues with not putting enough meat under the threading or in to the bezel/tail where the strength is functional. Most battery tubes are far thicker than needed for realistic functional strength needs. Extra weight where it's not needed actually increases force on potential weaker points in a drop. I won't say I don't have some of the heft feeling like quality... but I know it's a feeling. I tend to prefer smaller lights that I have with me when needed. Lighter means I can carry without noticing till needed.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i only think about the weight of a light after ive handled and carried them. its never part of my decision making when purchasing.
i prefer a more balanced light, with its weight more evenly distributed throughout the light.

for instant, when using a G2 with a malkoff dropin. the malkoff drop-in is so solid that it makes the light bezel heavy, and imbalanced.
i used to have a HDS clicky and it felt like i was carrying a 3 inch lead rod in my pocket. i would have to be mindful of walking too close to nice cars in fear my HDS denting the car.
but weight is really a non-issue for me, since my largest light is a single 18650.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For EDC use, I do take weight into consideration. Was going to get a Klarus single-AAA titanium light to become the new light on my keychain. But that deal fell through. (As much as I like and recommend the Photon Freedom, it's not bright enough for me. Plus, I prefer a AAA light for keychain use.)

Was going to toss my Fenix L0D Rebel 80 on my keychain. But it's just a bit too heavy in that role, for me. Going to dig up my old iTP A3 model, and use that again. The keychain attachment point is nowhere near as good as the one on the Klarus model. But it'll do for now. I'd prefer to use the iTP's twin sister, the Maratac AAA model. But I can't stand and don't trust the off-set wire keychain attachment point. So I'm going to put the black, checkered head of the Maratac on the gold-colored body of the iTP.

But yes, for EDC; light-weight is the way to go. (I'm even looking for a titanium version of the 2-inch long, 1-inch wide gate clip I'm currently using for belt-loop carry of my main keychain. The S.S. one I have now is just too heavy and putting too much strain on the belt-loop. For some in the EDC community, a Ti dangler or keychain carry device is a status symbol of sorts. I just honestly want something that's both tough and lightweight.)

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry several items daily and the size, shape, and weight of each one is important in my selection.

Weight is not a factor for lights I keep in the truck or lights I use to check for critters when putting the dog outside at night.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I care about size a lot more than weight. Unless you are an ultra-light backpacker, I don't see why anyone feels that a light that weighs 42 grams is any better than one that weighs 62 grams. I'd never notice the difference anyway, in practice.

Most battery tubes are far thicker than needed for realistic functional strength needs. Extra weight where it's not needed actually increases force on potential weaker points in a drop. I won't say I don't have some of the heft feeling like quality... but I know it's a feeling.

Hadn't really thought about it this way before, interesting point, and certainly technically correct. The thing is, in the real world, lights with heavier/thicker construction often ARE higher quality. Companies that are willing to over-engineer the body also usually emphasize quality everywhere else, too. To be sure, there are some exceptions, but generally speaking, not a bad rule of thumb.