• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

DriverVN3 and DriverVNX3 Development

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Richard from mtelectronics is planning to fly over to my place to visit next week. He plan to stay for may be a week so we will definitely have time to talk about DriverVNX3. We will come up with something solid and then consult to see if Dr. Jones can write the software. I am very excited to see Richard. Great to see old friends!

That's going to be a home filled with flashlight genius! I will echo the sentiments of some of these other guys concerning the moonlight mode/sublumen mode. Especially in a carry size light. It makes a world of difference.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 to a lower than 1% mode. If my ToolVN had this, it would literally be the best thing since sliced bread.
Right there with you. That Toolvn is AWESOME! just missing a moonlight.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
So for me it is

0) moonlight

1) Immediate access to both moonlight (click and hold maybe) and Max from off (double click?)

2) In regard to accessing moonlight. I would like to be able to release the button once moonlight is on and have it stay there or hold it as long as I want and again have it stay in moonlight.

Good example is the Olight S1 and second best, the Armtytek tiara prime which you can release immediately once in moonlight, but unfortunately will go to the next higher mode if held too long.

As for say zebralight, you hold too long it goes into medium or you hold to little after moonlight is activated and you go into high.

As for the Armtytek tiara prime PRO, you can't release too early or it will use last mode which could be high like zebralight and if you continue to hold it will go to the next higher level.

3) Maybe triple click to strobe?

So no matter what mode group you are in, these features could be active. (definitely let me know opinions as there may be a reason not to always have them available)

So now you choose something like 5-70-100, you have moonlight, strobe and high all accessible from off.

Last edited:

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
So for me it is

0) moonlight

1) Immediate access to both moonlight (click and hold maybe) and high from off (double click?)

2) In regard to accessing moonlight. I would like to be able to release the button once moonlight is on and have it stay there or hold it as long as I want and again have it stay in moonlight.
Not bad. If it were me I'd love the moon and max accessible from off with 3/4 modes in the middle.

Long press from off = moonlight.

Double click from anywhere(off or on) = max (100%).

Regular click could either be memorized mode, or low (no memory), then while on hold to ramp between low-high leaving out moonlight and max.

I say leave them out of the ramping so it's not a ton of modes to go through, and you can double click for max. 3 modes could be 3%-10%-40%, or 4 modes 1%-5%-15%-50%

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not bad. If it were me I'd love the moon and max accessible from off with 3/4 modes in the middle.

Long press from off = moonlight.

Double click from anywhere(off or on) = max (100%).

Regular click could either be memorized mode, or low (no memory), then while on hold to ramp between low-high leaving out moonlight and max.

I say leave them out of the ramping so it's not a ton of modes to go through, and you can double click for max. 3 modes could be 3%-10%-40%, or 4 modes 1%-5%-15%-50%

Yeah, good idea about leaving them out since they would be available anywhere. :)

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add, Oveready has the v5 wasp head with triple XP-L and can go to some excellent firefly modes. This could be useful as an example of going super low even with 3 leds.

hikingman

Enlightened
Late to the party perhaps, so my comment here is using my SR96vn as a reference.

Vinh, in post #42, has side switch choice 8 with 5 levels: 1 - 5 - 15 - 50 - 70 - ** 100 ***STROBE (Shouldn't there be a 6th level "100" in the normal sequence aside from the ** double click?)

I like that but would suggest (somewhat along with MikeB's post #6) that another choice be:

1 - 5 - 15 - 30 - 50 - 100 **100 ***STROBE I have indicated the area of change in red. In my SR96vn, 70 is so close to 100 in apparent brightness, and due to the SR96vn being so ferociously bright to start with, 70 and 100 are much the same and less used. So I like the idea of more lower ranges to choose from.

I too also like a really low moonlight mode but I have it by way of another light I carry at the same time. It is not very logical for a 3lb 10K lumen search light to have a moonlight, but its "1" position, while not remotely close to moonlight, is a very useful "low".

Dave

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Richard and I are talking about all the options. Looks like DriverVN3 might be quite a bit more than evolutionary... ;-)

Great to have him here to visit!

yavinbase

Newly Enlightened
As long as we're talking about moonlight/low-power modes, what about (in multi-LED flashlights) enabling low-power modes to shut off most of the LEDs? Idk whether this is possible for many/most multi-LED lights (clearly, it is not possible if the LEDs do not have individual connections to power).

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
So Richard and I talked through this driver thoroughly. We also talked through several other crucial DriverVNX3 future updates. 2016 will be an exciting year :)

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should use the BLF A6 driver and have your own firmware written for it. I love the ability to change modes up or down on the original A6 firmware. Five or six modes, with moonlight (.15-.4 lumens) and max available from off. The other three or four having the ability to change modes up or down with max only a double click away. Moonlight-1-5-15-50-100 for the six mode. Sounds like a nearly perfect EDC driver. If only there was an easy way for these to control multiple LEDs separately, like the Sunwayman C21C and C22C.

uofaengr

Enlightened
A voltage check would be nice, do these drivers already have low voktage cut off?
The flashes after 8 quick taps is a voltage check. Every flash is 0.1V above 3V with a maximum of 12 flashes (4.2V) if I'm not mistaken.